“By far the best BBQ in town” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 259 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Barbecue
“By far the best BBQ in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent finger licken' good BBQ. My kids really loved the Mac and Cheese.

We live in Chicago and my parents live close to this gem of a take out place. We drive to the South side of Chicago to get real BBQ and I think Pitts is better.

The owner has an interesting and impressive background...so be sure to ask about it!

A perfect game night dinner.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Devine BBQ - It doesn't get better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Locally, there are plenty of mom & pop bbq restraunts, but Pitts beats them all. This place, by far, has the best bbq anywhere around. One taste and you're hooked. My husband always gets the tips dinner, and I always get pulled pork sandwhich. And you MUST get a side of baked beans! They are fabulous! Owner & family/workers are so very nice. Very great place!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

So much makes Pitts' a wonderful place to go for an evening…Robert Pitts and crew were all so hospitable and kind. From offering us a few samples when we came in to coming out to sing happy birthday, they were wonderful. The food was top notch and we know that Mr. Pitts has a TON to offer! Excited to go back soon and often.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Goshen, Indiana
“Great BBQ in South Bend, IN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Found Pitts BBQ by accident while in the area so stopped by to check it out. Robert Pitts greeted me and offered a sample of BBQ beef. That led to me taking home a Sampler Platter with ribs, rib tips, and pulled pork. The BBQ was delicious with a sauce that has a good BBQ flavor--a little "bite", but not hot. My wife and I got two meals out of the generous Sampler Platter.
Drove from Goshen to South Bend today to enjoy again. This time we got the St. Louis Ribs meal and the 1/2 chicken meal and ate at the restaurant. The chicken almost falls off the bones and the ribs were meaty and full of flavor. Again, we only ate about half of our meals so will enjoy leftovers this weekend. If you want "fancy" or "atmosphere" you may want to go elsewhere; however if you are a BBQ lover the food always trumps atmosphere. I don't think you can find better in Michiana. Baked bean side was delicious and got to try Robert's macaroni & cheese. This is not ordinary mac-n-cheese--is made with four different kinds of cheese and is really delicious. Today got to meet Jeannie who runs the restaurant with Robert. Robert and Jeannie also operate catering of their home cooked food with "Libra Catering"

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Paul, MN
“New Pitts BBQ a Winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This new takeout spot run by a seasoned pro in South Bend's River Park neighborhood should become a local favorite. I know I'll be returning the next time I'm in town.

I got the Sampler Platter, and it easily contained enough meat for two hungry folks to share, especially if you get a couple of sides, which you should (I especially recommend the greens, which were silky and smokey). The sampler contains St. Louis-style ribs, rib tips, and pulled pork (on top of a slice of white bread, as it should be). I found the ribs to be meaty and tender enough to come right off the bone. The sauce was both sweet and tangy but did not overpower the smokey taste of the meat. The tips were chewier than the ribs, but with lots of good flavor, and the pulled pork was a big hit: tender, not stringy, and not overly sauced. All dinners also include cole slaw and a can of pop.

The owner, Chef Robert Pitts, came out to chat with me while I was picking up my food, and filled me in a little about his cooking. He told me that St. Louis-style refers to a cut of pork (the tips are trimmed from the ribs, making a uniform size), not a method of cooking. Chef Robert describes his barbecue cooking as New Orleans-style, for which I could not find a definition (except for shrimp), so I just take his word for it. He has worked in some of the city's upscale restaurants, and has competed in BBQ rib festivals. Chef Robert will be offering non-BBQ dishes from time to time, he said, and gave me a sample of his three-meat version of spaghetti bolognese, which was hearty and had a hint of heat.

• Visited July 2013