“Good Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mark Dine & Tap is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 266 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Angela
Description: Phone is [574] 204-2767.
North Carolina
“Good Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

While visiting family in South Bend, we dined at The Mark Dine & Tap. Meal was very good and reasonably priced. We had 2 children under 5 and they fit in well there too. I had the Reuben and thought it was very good. Soup and the children's mac & cheese were also good.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Buffalo,Ny
“GREAT brunch. Innovative menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Make a reservation in this new and innovative restaurant (yes, even for brunch). There were so many interesting menu choices I can;t wait to go back. I had an omelet with a veal meatloaf that was the best I ever had! My daughter's turkey, brie and apple sandwich was a winner as was the brisket. I am getting hungry just thinking about it again! When at Notre Dame...GO!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Good for regular food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Good food. I just had a burger. I'd stick with the basics. They add things with flare on the menu which makes it fun, but if you stick with normal food, you'll have a good experience. I was there on a busy ND football weekend. The staff was great. Service was excellent despite the madness. The bar area is pretty cool and they have some good beers on tap. Try one.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Bend, Indiana
“Exciting menu, disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My group of friends and I were so thrilled to see so many unusual comfort foods on the menu and ordered accordingly, getting pierogies as an appetizer. Wow, were we disappointed when our food came. It was completely lacking in quality, taste, and visual appeal. Everything was dry and under-seasoned, or over-cooked and mushy. Couple that with the sky-high prices, and we decided we will never come back. Add to that the fact that they actually raise their regular menu prices during home game weekends in order to gouge alumni and football fans, and it's a no-brainer: avoid this place!

• Visited March 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northern Indiana
“Tasty fresh made food but pricey drinks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I've been to The Mark several times since it opened and have had mostly good experiences. For peak lunch and dinner times, expect to spend at least an hour and a half to two hours to finish your meal. Wait times for tables can be pretty long too, especially on home game weekends.

The food is usually well-prepared and handmade. Order the jalapeno poppers and you know that they did not come frozen in a box. They are truly delicious! I have had bad experiences with appetizers twice—both times they were fried (oysters and mozzarella sticks) and they were over done. The portions on all of the meals I have ordered have always been generous. I recommend the veggie burger enthusiastically. It is wonderfully fresh, flavorful and almost too big! Bari's Gobbler, which is a turkey sandwich with green apple slices and brie on a croissant, is also a favorite.

I've also had the pleasure of spending time and a fair amount of money at the bar. Their drink menu covers an excellent range of wines, a fair range of beers, and an interesting range of vintage cocktails. Expect to spend about $10 per cocktail though, which may sound great to Chicagoans coming in from the city, but by South Bend standards that's overpriced. I enjoyed some of the vintage cocktails more than others—the Narragansett Cooler was a winner, but the Ramos Gin Fizz was not! I was disappointed when I requested a Hurricane (a common enough drink I thought) and was told they did not have all the ingredients. After that the main bartender seemed put off and didn't really give us the kind of service I'd come to expect at The Mark.

This restaurant is a real gem in our small town and I will continue to go back again and again, but don't expect me to offer to treat if we're drinking!