“All-around great find.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“All-around great find.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The service was excellent- on point, warm and friendly without being overbearing. The chef let the meats, seafood and vegetables speak for themselves- no abuse of sodium or artificial favorings. The dishes were varied in flavor, texture and degree of spice unlike many "Asian" restaurants. Price was more than fair. For a drink, two appetizers, and two entrees we spent $40 including a 20% tip. Would definitely go there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Niles, MI
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

A great place for a special occasion dinner. Food is great and the owner usually there to greet you. Bathrooms could use a little work, but nothing to keep you from coming back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Bend, Indiana
“"Don't miss out on the Almond Shrimp"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

After discovering that J.W. Chen's was rated #1 in South Bend for restaurants, I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed. I told Jean that I liked chicken and vegetables and so I ordered that even though she recommended the Almond Shrimp. To my surprise, she sent an order of the Almond Shrimp to our table "on the house" for me to try along with my original order. It was so delicious I don't think I will order anything else. It has become my new favorite restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't fall for the "I'll make you something special"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I'd like to first start out with the fact that the food is exceptional. Service is quick and the prices are reasonable, EXCEPT the pricing on the dishes when the owner says, "I'll make you something special". On Sunday, we stopped in for a quick lunch and learned that they do not have lunch specials on Sundays. Given that, we chose a couple of inexpensive dishes from the main menu (we were going to an expensive dinner that evening and just wanted something low-cost to get us through the afternoon). The owner came to the table and when we ordered she said that she would make us something quick. Much to our surprise the two "special dishes" were twice the price of what we had intended to pay from the main menu. I'm not saying 'don't eat at J.W. Chen's'; just saying, "ask the price of the 'special' dish if you are budget-conscious.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SB
“Food Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The quality of food is excellent and proportions are appropriate.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere