“Close to airport but rough neighborhood” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
“Close to airport but rough neighborhood”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

Expedia overbooked hotel and I was placed in their hold room which had an order and tv did not work

Would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Very large and clean suites. The staff was very attentive and took care of my needs. With a full kitchen and large room space it really helps one feel at home. I'll be using this Candlewood and others from now on.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed at the hotel on an overnight business trip as I had recently stayed for the first time at a Candlewood Suites in Irvine, CA due to my other preferred hotels being sold out . I enjoyed that stay enough that I thought I would give this Candlewood Suites a try,

My hot buttons are simple. Is the hotel clean? Is the hotel staff friendly and seem to care about their guests? Does the hotel have a decent sized exercize room? I like to work out on the road since I spend 100+ nights in hotels. The answers at this hotel were yes, yes, and yes.

Based on some of the other reviews that I read, I inquired if the hotel was under new management. The front desk clerk indicated the General Manager, Bruce, was fairly new to the hotel. I assume that he is correcting some of the previous service issues.

While I usually travel alone, the size of the rooms would make this a good place to stay when traveling with my wife and daughter.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this location for a ND football game. We left Saturday morning for the game, and returned later in the evening to find that an ipod (that had be 'hidden' in a non-obvious location) had been stolen. I called the hotel to try to work through a solution. They suggested I file a police report and send to them, which I did. I then called them every week for a 9 months to follow up in an effort to recover the money lost for the ipod, and was consistently ignored. Phone calls were never returned, and nothing was done about it. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for Dyngus Day this way we were close to the halls. The room was very large, nice kitchen which has a full size fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, all the pots, pans, glasses, salt, peper, coffee mugs. Eveything you need. I wish we had a room like this while we were in Chicago a few days earlier. Our room was a King Suite, so we had a seperate living area(with a nice recliner) the bathroom was large and the bed was very comfortable. This hotel was one of the cleanest hotels I have been in. Kudos to the hotel staff!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

We are looking for a place here in South Bend, Newly relocated due to my husbands job we stayed here with our 2, 3 and 16 year old..its been really nice. We got a 1 bed Suite and it has full kitchen and the room was very nice 2 tvs kids had one room we slept on sofa sleeper in living room flat screens and all--Our laundry was free and the place is really new so its clean ...it wasnt that full when we were there but its been great we have been here for a week leaving tommorow...wanted people to know---Im picky picky and this was a good pick for us--I would rate it like a 3-4 star becuase of the full kitchens granite marble tile and the gym laundry ect everything is high end not cheap motel hotel crap...goodluck!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked our hotel through Priceline and when we checked in we were given a room with a no-smoking logo outside of it and ashtrays in the room...it reeked of cigarette smoke. When we went to the front desk to ask for a different room, we were told that there were none available and that we had asked for a smoking room....which we did not.
Later that evening we checked with the front desk again and they had a room for us!
But...as we discovered the next morning - NO WORKING SHOWER...
Hmmmmmm...also the front desk was unattended on Saturday morning - NO ONE was there at all. Anyone could have walked in off the street and been in the hotel.
I will not stay here again. I called the hotel upon my return home and was told there was nothing that they could do.
At least Priceline gave me a $10 voucher...never again...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport? Share your experiences!