“wrong” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Dessert
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Huntington
“wrong”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was with a group of about 20 ladies at a church retreat for the weekend, most of them were eating family style. There were a couple of us not that hungry. They would not let us eat with them if we didn't eat the family style. Two of us moved to a booth & two more joined us. The four of us enjoyed our meal & was ok with the fact that we could NOT EAT WITH THE REST OF OUR GROUP until we got our bill and they had ADDED gratuity of 15%. We ask why they added the gratuity to a table of four, they told us we were with a large group. We were not allowed to eat with them but we had to pay the tip that they had to pay. This is all about the principle of things not the amount of the tip because they didn't get as much in tips as they would have if they had not added it on.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“So pretty....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I ate lunch at this pretty restaurant on 2/9/13. I ordered the fried chicken - of course! My server was Irma and she was very friendly and kind to me - which, as a solo diner @ a family-oriented restaurant, I really appreciated. To offset the fatty chicken I ordered a garden salad & green beans as my 2 side dishes. The lettuce had seen better days - most of the lettuce had yellowed and some had brown edges. One piece had started to deteriorate. The green beans were so soft I had to scoop, rather than pierce, them w/my fork. Part of the chicken were still pink inside which could have been normal or maybe not. The little loaf of bread was dry and a little stale. Ouch - I haven't written such a bad review before! I'll try Blue Gate again in the future and hope this was just a bad day for them....

Visited February 2013
Stillwater, MN
“Better than Grandma's Home Cooking ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm not going to say this was better than Grandma's fried chicken or roast beef with all the fixens because it has been decades since Grandma was alive and cooking for the family but I have great memories of great meals by Grandma's, Aunts and mom that flashed thru my mind as our meals were delivered and set before us. And then we enjoyed the aromas and the tastes. This was our 3rd visit in 10+ years and I am sure we will return the next time we are Shipshewana. ( and we live in Minnesota so it is not a short trip )

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rome City, Indiana
“YUMMY!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The breakfast buffet can't be beat! It's pricey but well worth it when you consider the selection and quality.

Visited March 2012
“Love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Very beautiful restaurant ! We did have to wait 20 min to be seated but it was a Friday night. Very friendly atmosphere! I had the pork chop dinner and it was delicious ! We have eaten here many times and will definitely be back again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere