“Cozy, inviting restaurant with great food!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Merrillvile
“Cozy, inviting restaurant with great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a wonderful experience eating at Schererville Lounge was this past Tuesday!
It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we wanted to go out and have a great meal to mark the occasion. We were in the middle of a snowstorm, 6 inches had already fallen and more was on the way, when we left our home. We headed for Prime Steakhouse (formerly, Kelsey's)
only to find a note on the door that said 'Closed on Tuesday due to inclement weather'. We'd been to Schererville Lounge 3 times before for AYCE Crab Legs, (which were delicious) and decided to chance the snow and drive one more mile to see if they were open. They were!
We were the ONLY customers in the restaurant! Of course, we were treated like royalty, especially when we explained why we had braved the weather to come out to eat.
My husband ordered Prime Rib and I ordered Filet & Lobster. I didn't even need a knife to eat my filet, it was that tender. And so delicious! Dan's Prime Rib was huge and wonderfully seasoned and flavorful. We had the combo breaded veggies appetizer which were covered in a crisp, tasty batter and beautifully browned. The salad was filled with goodies, cukes, tomatoes, red cabbage, and was fresh & crisp. Our waitress, Pam, was perfet. She made sure we had everything we needed, but didn't hover. Smiling and sweet, she was a pleasure. We had a long, leisurely meal and then were treated to a piece of cheesecake in honor of our 25th. One of the best dining experiences we'd had in a long time. This is a cozy restaurant with soft lighting, friendly employees and gracious decor. We will be going back again, and again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dyer, Indiana
“Not what it used to be.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been going to Schererville Lounge for years and it has always been one of our "go to" places. Unfortunately, the last two experiences have been really poor. We went there about 6 weeks ago with our son and the food took FOREVER to arrive, with no apology from the manager or the waitstaff. But, the food was excellent and made up for the wait. We had to pick our daughter up from a birthday party and let the server know that we needed our bill quickly. We watched her chit-chat with other tables before getting our bill and then took way too long to come back.

Well, last night we decided to give Schererville Lounge another try. HUGE MISTAKE! The place was very busy and we waited about 15 minutes for a table. No big deal. The waitress came and took our drink order , returned with the drinks and took our food order. It all went down hill after that. It took at least 20 minutes to get soup and salad and then we waited at least 30 minutes for our food. We also waited about 30 minutes just to get a couple of beers. I was a server for years and I know sometimes you are swamped! That is when a good maganer steps in to see how he/she can help. He could have helped bring out drinks so her orders weren't getting cold. We watched the manager wander around the bar and dining room, but never ask anyone how dinner was, probably because he knew the answer! When the food arrived it was ICE COLD! I know that the kitchen didn't put it out that way. I'm sure it was cold because it had been sitting in the window for 20 minutes.

I know we should have sent the food back and complained, but we were all tired and frustrated at this point and we just wanted to go home. We asked for the bill and it took her forever to bring it. At this point there was no mistaking that we were upset about the food and service and yet there was still no apology. The server took so long to come back for the bill that I took the kids out to the car and my husband sat and waited another 5 minutes for her to come back.

Sorry, Schererville Lounge, we won't be back. Next time I will go down the street to Lakeside Inn.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
deborah
“Nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

WE were at this resturant on 1-3-13. The waitress was very nice,and we enjoyed ourselves. My daughter had all you could eat crab legs. She only had one plate so the waitress changed the order to one dinner. The price was lower. We have been here before and we will go back. I didn't like the fact that the restrooms are in the bar where there was a smoker. So, I ate with the smell of smoke and walked through smoke to the restroom.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St John
“I have never been so insulted in my life!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My son and I ordered AYCE perch, blue gill, and frog legs. My son ate one piece of each and told me he didn't like it-MY son eats anything and everything ESPECIALLY fish. Instead of telling the waitress this the day before Christmas Eve, I asked her for a to go box and decided I would eat it, not even telling her our distaste. The waitress didn't respond, but took his plate, and threw it into the nearby garbage can. When I told her I wanted to take it home, she got snippy with me, and angrily told me you can't take food home when it is AYCE. I asked her since he only had one bite of the first plate, and I couldn't take it home, would she be able to take it off the bill. I said this apologetically, and she responded with,"I'm getting the manager, because I am not going to deal with this!"

When I told the owner what happened, he said there must be some misunderstanding, if it was the first plate, I could have taken it home. I asked if he could take it off the bill since the waitress threw it away. He refused, and said he would charge me for a dinner instead. I told him that I would rather have the food, because he never even ate any to be considered "dinner", and he made the snide remark that my son ate the salad and bread as if this was supposed to make up for the price of a seafood dinner.

Since he was so rude, I told him that I changed my mind, I didn't even want a plate to go. He insisted I pay the full fifty some dollars for the bill or he would call the police! Being in shock by his rudeness, I told him to just give me the dinner price, and I would post this experience on the internet. He said OK.

I took the bill to the register to pay, and she wanted the full price for the two AYCE plates, again over fifty dollars. She got the owner, and he said very loudly, so he could be heard by other customers that I do this all the time to get free meals. I then became VERY upset and reminded him that I only had one plate, and my son didn't eat any of it, and due to the fact that he accused me of doing such a thing, I insisted he take the other meal off my bill.

He responded so everyone could hear, my son had only left potato wedges on his plate, which was a blatant lie. I got the garbage can and insisted he look, because he only took one bite. He refused.

When I corrected him in front of everyone that he was lying about us doing this before to get free food, and lying about my son eating the food, he told me he would take it off the bill, but he never wanted me to ever come back again. WOW! To be treated like this and then paying $26 for one plate of VERY tasteless fish, and he really thinks we would be back? Surely he jests!

VERY RUDE!!!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Highland Lake County, Indiana
“Cozy and Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nice little place, restaurant on one side, lounge on the other. Very good food, great relish tray and fresh bread, Waittresses have been there for years.

Visited July 2012