“Inn Okay-Avoid the "Buffet"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Santa's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Claus
Santa's Lodge
91 W. Christmas Blvd., Santa Claus, IN 47579   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Santa Claus
St. Anne
“Inn Okay-Avoid the "Buffet"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We've been staying at Santa's Lodge during our Holiday World vacations since 2004. Apparently we've been lucky in that we always seem to get the rooms in the new end of the hotel. The rooms are clean, beds linens and pillows are also clean. The front desk could use some modernization on their resevation system though. I made a reservation back in March for June 8-10. We arrived and proceeded to check in and there was much digging through some paperwork behind the desk to find the print out with my reservation. I'm thinking "Please don't let this get screwed up..". Finally found my reservation, irritability level down to normal. These guys really need to update their system. Overall I like the Inn for its proximity to Holiday World as well as its cleanliness. The "buffet" downstairs is another matter.

The buffet has always been somewhat pricey. After shelling out $8.95 a head for breakfast on the first day that was all she wrote. This didn't even include drinks. The food was less than outstanding. The sausage patties were like hockey pucks and the scrambled eggs rubber. I've had better food at truck stop buffets for $2.00 a plate less. For $8.95 they should have a chef on duty fixing made to order omlettes. Also, no fruit on the buffet. Their "remodeling job" seemed like it was on hold. Where they had a nice open air dining area, they now have a half finished open air addition. With $4.00 a gallon gas I felt like we were getting a hosing from this buffet on top of everything else. We actually planned the rest of our meals at Holiday World. You can get a really decent meal back in the Thanksgiving section for around $8.00 a plate and not have to worry about getting held up for your drinks. This place does need some real competition.
Long story short, the Inn is a good place to stay just make your dining plans elsewhere. If you're coming in off of US 41, check out Stoll's Amish Buffet located on the south side of I-64. They run about $11.95 a head plus drinks, but the food is far better than the Inn's plus they have a greater selection. Kids 12 and under are $5.55. The Inn charges full price for kids over 5. The Inn "buffet" needs to take some lessons from its neighbor in terms of giving its customers a fair deal.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Our whole family stayed in a very nice family suite at Santa's lodge for a fraction of what it would have cost at a distant hotel in another town down the road.

We also got a discount on our Holiday World tickets so that was a big bonus.

After making reservations I went on line looking for information about the hotel to find out what was nearby. Only to find horrid reviews of the hotel and its staff.

When I called the hotel to double check things would be okay a kind gentleman helped us greatly. He told us to come and not be afraid...that he guaranteed our stay would be good...and he was right. Clean beds, linens and bathrooms....kind staff, helpful and courteous. We are a big family, and we have never found staff to be so accomodating as the staff at Santa's logde were.

We stayed several days in the hotel, and I can honestly say that the staff was wonderful, kind and very helpful to our family. The food was expensive for our budget, but not because it wasn't a reasonable price, about 5.00 for a children's meal.

It was because our budget for the trip was 1,200.00.

We did eat at the hotel and the food was delicious, and our server was the sweetest young lady, she came back to check on us dozens of times.

Our family suite was wonderful, it was large enough for all of us and was kept clean by the staff throughout our stay.

Our children used the pools and hot tub during our stay and really enjoyed it. We walked over to Frosty's and had ice creams on our first day and the children had a good time playing the games inside the snack shop.

Some of them were 75 cents just to play, so if you don't want to spend money on expensive games, it's best to just order Frosty's ice cream and pizzas from your phone in your room over at Santa's Lodge. They will deliver whatever you order right to your room...now that's fabulous!

Anyone looking for a family friendly place to stay while visiting Holiday World should check them out, they are under renovations right now, so things are a bit crazy, but the hotel was well worth it.

As I was leaving I gave the manager a big hug, she accepted a strangers grateful and earnest appreciation for the hotels hospitality. This Kentucky family will return next year!

• Liked — Proximity to Holiday World, Friendliness of staff and price
  • Disliked — Leaving:(
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

We were drawn to the hotel for its close proximity to Holiday World.
While they did accomodate us without reservations, the hotel was lacking in several areas. On a positive note-- the room was clean!
HOWEVER.....We stayed in a very dated section of the hotel on the second floor. The floor of the hallway creaked anytime someone walked on it which was annoying while trying to get to sleep. The hallway doors were painted a lovely mauve color. The door to our room would not close securely no matter how hard we pulled, and the only way to keep it closed completely was to lock the dead bolt from the inside. The walls between the rooms seemed to be paper thin. We heard every word of every conversation next door. (Finally called front desk at 11:30 to ask neighbors to settle down)

Sheets were very rough. Pillows flat. Bring your own linens!

The Christmas lights outside and decorations in the lobby may get you in the Christmas mood, however I don't think Santa would get a good nights sleep here!

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chesapeake, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I recently spent last weekend (May 22-24, 2008) at this hotel. Last year we stayed in the Queen Deluxe room. This year we opted for the Family Suite which had more room and a whirlpool tub. We liked the room much more than the Queen Deluxe. It was clean, spacious and had a nice whirlpool tub. The only gripes I have about the rooms here in this hotel are that the toilets in the bathrooms have no seat covers and the wireless internet signal is very weak and spotty as you tend to lose your signal if you move your laptap away from the back of the room. The best thing about this hotel is the proximity to Holiday World & Splashin Safari. We are looking forward to staying here again next year.

• Liked — Proximity to Holiday World
  • Disliked — No toilet seat covers and weak internet signal!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

It's been a long while since we ventured to Santa Claus, Indiana but the warm weather has me planning summer getaways and I was reminded of our trip to this hotel. Let's start by saying that if you are going for the Water Park just down the street don't let a negative review of this hotel stop you because the Water Park is EXCELLENT. One of the best that I have been to. The Santa Claus Lodge however is probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. We used the hotel website to book the room and I am 100% sure it was not for the average price of $64.00/night, year round rate, that trip advisor states. It was at least $140.00 a night and required a two night minimum which included breakfast (buffet style - also the worst buffet I have ever ate at.) The Lodge is tacky, tacky, tacky. The most recent reviews state that they are undergoing renovations and let's just say that's a good thing. The lobby is filled with Christmas crafts which I am sure have their place in the world but do not enhance the atmosphere at all. It feels like a 40 year old hotel that has tried to capitalize on the popularity of the water park by promising a "family friendly" "cozy" lodge-like atmosphere. It just feels cheezy and old and almost dorm-like. It really has that dorm like feel. Not quite clean even when it is and severely overused. Our room was old with funky smelling carpet that felt sticky when you walked barefoot on it. The beds were old and lumpy with old linens. We spent the first night listening to the throngs of tweens and teens running through the place. And my one year old crying all night long. The next morning we felt soooo robbed!! The breakfast buffet was truthfully the worst. It was almost comical. After breakfast we packed up and went to the desk and asked for our money back for the second night. They tried really hard to refuse stating it was not their policy but I stood my ground. We had one night refunded. The desk help was not the least bit friendly either when we checked in, or out. Also, be aware (unless there has been more development in the area since 06) that you are a long way from other choices of hotels or places to eat. Their is a mini-golf with a grill that serves hamburger and hotdogs next to the hotel. It seems like there was a market too but not much else except for the Water Park. What this hotel needs is a little competition in the area. I had this feeling of being trapped in Cheezy Christmas Hell. The saving grace was the water park which is really the main attraction and worth every penny. If you pay the 64 bucks for a room at the lodge well then that would change everything but we paid $140 a night for nothing more than an econolodge. Buyer Beware!!

• Liked — Close proximity to the water park.
  • Disliked — Let me count the ways....
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

I read the reviews, but I just had to see for myself, and I loved it. They seem to be in remodel mode. I had a new employee for my check in, and she was young everything went fine, I am on a trip and supposed to be relaxed so I find if your patient with people they are nicer to you. The decortations were very cute, the christmas trees were very nice, they have lights strung outside on the fence posts and wreaths, very christmas. My bed was a pillow top, the most comfortable bed I have slept in at a hotel, better than the larger chains who promise the bed and I have been so disappointed . It was the cleanest room I have ever stayed in, in this price range. The restaurant was very cute , I kept my order from menu simple and it was really good, everyone was so nice. They have a bar if you want to have drinks, it was peaceful, laid back. I just loved the lodge feel and the little lake with gazebo. Now they do not have many channels on the tv to pick from, but I read, and was so tired from the theme park. The pool is nice, kids loved it. I will stay there every time I go to the park.

• Liked — Chistmas theme, and the bed
  • Disliked — tv stations
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I first reserved room for one night, August 2008. The lady reserved my rate with a AAA discount though evidently lodge does not AAA during summer months I guess. I think she made an allowance after learning one of my boys is in remission for brain cancer and she wanted to be nice. But the management at Santa's Lodge does not share her same sentiment. One big fiasco after another!! I had to switch dates from August to July instead and that is when I met complete oposition to the AAA rate. I continually tried to take care of this explaining I was told AAA would be honored but to no avail. nothing. Meanwhile April 19 I recieve confirmation of reservation with a rate of $99 per night - they even went as far to put in comments in system no AAA during this time. I finally emailed the Lodge and rec'd feedback from asst manager who said she would honor the AAA rate aggreement though they spoke to the clerk who I guess did a big no no! (I'm thinking this is awfully petty!) THen I discover in same email they are charging me $110 per night so really no AAA is going to make a difference so I call and try to get this fixed and I am met again with complete oposition, telling me to fax copy they mailed me. BIG FIASCO!! I do not have time to keep calling, emailing, mailing, faxing, sending smoke signals for this hotel for a one night stay! Beware - customer service is not a priority! Needless to say, we are lodging with Rudolph instead, I may be paying more money in long run, but at least I won't stay where customer service is a big fat 0!

DATE IS INCORRECT AT TOP, COULDNT GET PAST WITHOUT PUTTING PAST DATE

Stayed April 2008

Been to Santa's Lodge? Share your experiences!