“Wonderful stay, delightful people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raccoon Lakeside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockville
Raccoon Lakeside Lodge
You added Raccoon Lakeside Lodge to your Saves list
Rte 1 Box 870, Rockville, IN 47872   |
Midlothian, Illinois
“Wonderful stay, delightful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I am a bit taken aback by some of the less than favorable reviews.The rooms were exactly as to be expected for a country lodge. Clean and comfortable, and we had a perfectly wonderful stay. The view was breathtaking, the lake air clean and crisp and the staff was helpful and friendly.
Allison and her family went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant, to the point of making us feel, upon our departure, that we were leaving old friends.
I would definately recommend this place to anyone and hope to be able to return myself.
Miss you Allison and Char! Hope all is well!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

The place is older and not fancy but clean. It's in a great location--right on the lake. Being a duplex, the people upstairs managed to make enough noise all night to keep some of us awake--that was with an air conditioner and three dehumidifiers going. The outside is not as clean or maintained as the inside. We would go back, so I guess that's says that we were happy enough with it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Hebron, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My family and I, meaning my parents and my family, have been going to this lodge for many years. We go there to fish and enjoy the amazing view of the lake. The fishing is excellent here! My 2 little girls look forward to going here to catch fish. But, it was getting to the point that we were about to stop going because it was getting so run down. Not anymore!!! They have done so many improvements. They fixed the docks, which was a big issue for me having 2 younger children. They've done a lot of maintence repairs that have been neglected over the years. In just one year! The room we were in had new appliances and plenty of cookware. The bedding was in great shape. I can't believe the difference just one year has made. We just got back from our annual trip and the kids are already asking to go back!

Allison (the new manager) goes above and beyond and they make you feel so welcome. If you have an issue, they solve it right away. They are all very friendly and helpful. They truly care about your stay with them.

A little story for those who want to hear it from this trip to show you the type of people they are. My little girls found a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. Allison and Pam stopped cleaning a room. They tried calling someone who takes in abandoned birds. When they could not reach them, they went and got a ladder and put the baby bird back in the nest, hoping the mother would come back. The whole time they did this, they praised my girls for saving the life of the bird, because if they hadn't seen the bird, it would surely have died. Of course my girls constantly checkes to see if the "Mama Bird" came back, and she did!!! They are truly special people and I can't thank them enough for everything that they did for us on our trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed in Unit #12 (1bdrm-Fireplace). Had to bring own wood but that was okay. Disappointed that lake had been drained (seasonal) but understood, still fun to walk the shore and look for "artifacts". Owners & Staff were FANTASTIC! They were so helpful and kind. Kitchen had everything needed. TV with cable and a CD player. Lots of room, great views, and close to at least 2 local restaurants/bars. Went to Roadhouse - GREAT steaks! Location was private and quiet (off-season). I will definitely consider this as a location for same time next year. Rockville is only about 10-15 minutes away. They could use better (more?) signage on road to Lodge, also, coming in on 36 the sign for the Lodge only reads from one direction.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked rooms 10, 12 and 14 for a big family vacation down at Raccoon Lake. We stayed 2 nights and the rooms cost us just shy of $1100. The cost of staying here and what you actually get is unbelievably outrageous... for that price you'd assume there were a breakfast, amazing views, luxury rooms... no, none of that. In fact to understand how unbelievably stupid this place is, you have to consider the following:

1. Check-in is at 3pm
2. Check-out is at 9am unless cleared with the front desk
3. You MUST clean your own room, or suffer a $75 charge and a $20/hr cleanup fee.
4. Linens on the bed and towels in the bathroom cost you an extra $35-40/night, I forget exactly how much.
5. If you don't get the linen service, you also won't get kleenex or TOILET PAPER in the bathroom.
6. Everything on this property is run-down

The reason this place is so expensive is because it's the *only* commercial property on the lake. It looks (and smells) like it was built in 1970 and has never been remodeled since. Room 10 smelled so horribly of mildew and rot that we had guests avoid it and sleep on the floor in another room.

We stayed in one of the "nicer" rooms, I would encourage you to look at our pictures to see how "nice" it was.

Out of the 4 keys we were given, 1 of them worked for 1 room. 1 of our ice makers worked and when reported to the Allison the desk clerk we got a snide remark along the lines of "SURE it is." and then begrudgingly thrown a bag of ice as compensation.

All the pots, pans, utensils and kitchen equipment was at least 15 years old and in shoddy condition to match the rest of the lodge.

The front office also serves as someone's house, so any time the assistant doesn't feel like working she just locks the front door and goes upstairs. If you need something, have a complaint, have a question or are checking out, good luck getting her to come down.

To sum up this experience as completely as possible... if you think a "decent" hotel is a 20-year old Motel 6 off the freeway for $30/night, then you will think this place is just fine and probably think the views of the lake (which are close) is pretty.

If you tend to prefer newer hotels, clean sheets, bright big lobbies and a solid 3-star rating as a "decent" hotel, you will think this place is a redneck crap-hole that is only allowed to subsist and charge the prices it does because it has absolutely no competition.

Our entire family is the latter, we don't need a 4-star Hyatt, just a clean Red Roof Inn or Residence Inn is fine... but this place should be $35/night for what they provide.

Please go stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
allisonlee, Manager at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, September 8, 2009
We're extremely sorry that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us here at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each of our units are thoroughly cleaned before each arrival. Our unit rates are comparable to other lodges in Indiana, not simply because we have no competition. Keep in mind that these units are like fully furnished little apartments they are not one room motels, therefore they cost a little more than a motel room. We do require our guests to clean up after themselves simply because these are housekeeping units. Our housekeeping staff goes into each unit upon departure and thoroughly cleans and sanitizes the room, this slone takes them about 45 minuets. We have 14 units here at Raccon Lodge, some of which are pretty large, therefore we do not have the staff or the time to clean up after everyone's messes, so yes we do ask that they keep the unit clean just as it is when they arrive. Check in is actually at 2p.m. and yes check out is at 9a.m. When you have to get 14 rooms cleaned and ready to check into all in one day by check in time its kind of hard to get it done of people aren't checked out by 9a.m., however we do try to be lieniant whenever possible. We do have a linen fee, which helps to cover our expenses to wash the laundry, nothing comes for free, however each unit does come with toilet paper and a bar of soap regardless weather you purchase the linen package or not. Our lodge is a simple little country retreat for simple families looking to get away and relax, yes its a little old and rustic but its a cozy comfortable environment that many people enjoy coming to every year. Many of our customers have been returning for years, so I do believe this is a great vacation place, for simple people. If you are coming here expecting all the glitz and glam of some fancy 5 star hotel this is definitely not somewhere you should consider.

True the managers house is upstairs from the office, however I do not just lock the door and go upstairs whenever I want to. I am in the off or around the grounds from 9 a.m. to well into the evening everyday. When I'm not in the office I am always excepting calls 24/7 and am glad to assist anyone who calls and needs my assistance. When I lock the office and go upstairs to my home it is because my day is over and I'm ready to relax in the comfort of my home, however I still except calls throughout the night so I am ALWAYS available. Though I do not recall ever being rude to your party I sincerely apologize if I was.

Once again we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and we sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.
Chicago area far west suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We just got back a few days ago from spending 4 days/nights. We were in 3-bdr unit #11. Although 3 bedrooms is a bit of a stretch, more like 2-1/2 bedrooms. One bedroom was exactly the size of a full size bed (it had a trundle bed in it so you could at least walk into the room).

But the unit was immaculately clean, if a bit rustic. The kitchen was well stocked with utensils, appliances etc. The view of the lake from the deck spanning the entire backside of the unit was gorgeous.

Our hosts were helpful and friendly, although a bit hard to get hold of at times.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and we will definitely consider returning as our plans permit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Southern Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were so disappointed in our stay. #8 Apt was the only one left and now I see why . I certainly agree with an earlier post regarding the interiors. It rained the evening of our arrival, so normally we would be content with TV or books we brought. However the satellite was not working well ( and would not be for 6 weeks we were told), the sleeper couch was SO very uncomfortable, old and saggy, and there were no bedside tables and only a very dim overhead light to read by. The carpet was dirty and spotted. There was a very dark carpet stain at the head of my bed,which looked to be water damage and perhaps mold. The furniture we had in the bedrooms was clearly garage sale finds or very old hand-me downs. The appliances in the kitchen were new and clean.
The place may have been cleaned by staff, but just felt dirty. The bathroom had gaps in the flooring at the walls. The supplied towels (for an extra fee) were fresh, but hanging right over the toilet and were touching the top of the toilet. (I am glad I brought some towels from home) There was no electric plug in the bathroom and no mirrors in any other room to dry my hair. You could not sit on the toilet with out your nose in the sink. The bathroom and bedroom doors all drug on the carpet and were difficult to close. The view from our deck was of the storage and workshop area, and the parking lot. Our immediate and adjoining deck neighbors was a family with 3? very cute but very loud girls. They had a hot tub which they were in, in the evenings. Great for them but not very peaceful for us. We could hear them in our bedroom at night as well. I am in no way upset with the kids, they were certainly there and entitled to have fun. I am just saying the units are NOT set up for privacy and especially number 8. The sliding glass door was broken (glass and frame).We had a public coke machine on our deck.
I can't speak about the other units, just ours. $133 per night and an extra $10 per night for them to supply linens and make the bed up before your arrival and supply towels...We took our boat with us (first time at Raccoon Lake) and were having some troubles with it. We decided to leave a day early because without the boat there was just nothing to do, and I was so ready to get out of that "lodge". We were also offered a "free night" voucher for a return visit......I won't be back. I do understand this was maybe supposed to be rustic, but rustic can still be clean and in good repair and costs less because you get less. We stayed at a 4.5 star hotel in downtown Chicago on the miracle mile for $89 dollars a night for goodness sake. And my husband and son take 4 wheeling trips to VA and stay in better accommodations for 1/3rd of this price.
Manager, if you are turning this place around, you better quit renting #8 or redo it now.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Raccoon Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!