“Rustic & Snug” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Raccoon Lakeside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockville
Raccoon Lakeside Lodge
Save Saved
You added Raccoon Lakeside Lodge to your Saves list
Rte 1 Box 870, Rockville, IN 47872   |
Kentucky
“Rustic & Snug”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed in Unit #12 (1bdrm-Fireplace). Had to bring own wood but that was okay. Disappointed that lake had been drained (seasonal) but understood, still fun to walk the shore and look for "artifacts". Owners & Staff were FANTASTIC! They were so helpful and kind. Kitchen had everything needed. TV with cable and a CD player. Lots of room, great views, and close to at least 2 local restaurants/bars. Went to Roadhouse - GREAT steaks! Location was private and quiet (off-season). I will definitely consider this as a location for same time next year. Rockville is only about 10-15 minutes away. They could use better (more?) signage on road to Lodge, also, coming in on 36 the sign for the Lodge only reads from one direction.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked rooms 10, 12 and 14 for a big family vacation down at Raccoon Lake. We stayed 2 nights and the rooms cost us just shy of $1100. The cost of staying here and what you actually get is unbelievably outrageous... for that price you'd assume there were a breakfast, amazing views, luxury rooms... no, none of that. In fact to understand how unbelievably stupid this place is, you have to consider the following:

1. Check-in is at 3pm
2. Check-out is at 9am unless cleared with the front desk
3. You MUST clean your own room, or suffer a $75 charge and a $20/hr cleanup fee.
4. Linens on the bed and towels in the bathroom cost you an extra $35-40/night, I forget exactly how much.
5. If you don't get the linen service, you also won't get kleenex or TOILET PAPER in the bathroom.
6. Everything on this property is run-down

The reason this place is so expensive is because it's the *only* commercial property on the lake. It looks (and smells) like it was built in 1970 and has never been remodeled since. Room 10 smelled so horribly of mildew and rot that we had guests avoid it and sleep on the floor in another room.

We stayed in one of the "nicer" rooms, I would encourage you to look at our pictures to see how "nice" it was.

Out of the 4 keys we were given, 1 of them worked for 1 room. 1 of our ice makers worked and when reported to the Allison the desk clerk we got a snide remark along the lines of "SURE it is." and then begrudgingly thrown a bag of ice as compensation.

All the pots, pans, utensils and kitchen equipment was at least 15 years old and in shoddy condition to match the rest of the lodge.

The front office also serves as someone's house, so any time the assistant doesn't feel like working she just locks the front door and goes upstairs. If you need something, have a complaint, have a question or are checking out, good luck getting her to come down.

To sum up this experience as completely as possible... if you think a "decent" hotel is a 20-year old Motel 6 off the freeway for $30/night, then you will think this place is just fine and probably think the views of the lake (which are close) is pretty.

If you tend to prefer newer hotels, clean sheets, bright big lobbies and a solid 3-star rating as a "decent" hotel, you will think this place is a redneck crap-hole that is only allowed to subsist and charge the prices it does because it has absolutely no competition.

Our entire family is the latter, we don't need a 4-star Hyatt, just a clean Red Roof Inn or Residence Inn is fine... but this place should be $35/night for what they provide.

Please go stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
allisonlee, Manager at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, September 8, 2009
We're extremely sorry that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us here at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each of our units are thoroughly cleaned before each arrival. Our unit rates are comparable to other lodges in Indiana, not simply because we have no competition. Keep in mind that these units are like fully furnished little apartments they are not one room motels, therefore they cost a little more than a motel room. We do require our guests to clean up after themselves simply because these are housekeeping units. Our housekeeping staff goes into each unit upon departure and thoroughly cleans and sanitizes the room, this slone takes them about 45 minuets. We have 14 units here at Raccon Lodge, some of which are pretty large, therefore we do not have the staff or the time to clean up after everyone's messes, so yes we do ask that they keep the unit clean just as it is when they arrive. Check in is actually at 2p.m. and yes check out is at 9a.m. When you have to get 14 rooms cleaned and ready to check into all in one day by check in time its kind of hard to get it done of people aren't checked out by 9a.m., however we do try to be lieniant whenever possible. We do have a linen fee, which helps to cover our expenses to wash the laundry, nothing comes for free, however each unit does come with toilet paper and a bar of soap regardless weather you purchase the linen package or not. Our lodge is a simple little country retreat for simple families looking to get away and relax, yes its a little old and rustic but its a cozy comfortable environment that many people enjoy coming to every year. Many of our customers have been returning for years, so I do believe this is a great vacation place, for simple people. If you are coming here expecting all the glitz and glam of some fancy 5 star hotel this is definitely not somewhere you should consider.

True the managers house is upstairs from the office, however I do not just lock the door and go upstairs whenever I want to. I am in the off or around the grounds from 9 a.m. to well into the evening everyday. When I'm not in the office I am always excepting calls 24/7 and am glad to assist anyone who calls and needs my assistance. When I lock the office and go upstairs to my home it is because my day is over and I'm ready to relax in the comfort of my home, however I still except calls throughout the night so I am ALWAYS available. Though I do not recall ever being rude to your party I sincerely apologize if I was.

Once again we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and we sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.
Chicago area far west suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We just got back a few days ago from spending 4 days/nights. We were in 3-bdr unit #11. Although 3 bedrooms is a bit of a stretch, more like 2-1/2 bedrooms. One bedroom was exactly the size of a full size bed (it had a trundle bed in it so you could at least walk into the room).

But the unit was immaculately clean, if a bit rustic. The kitchen was well stocked with utensils, appliances etc. The view of the lake from the deck spanning the entire backside of the unit was gorgeous.

Our hosts were helpful and friendly, although a bit hard to get hold of at times.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and we will definitely consider returning as our plans permit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Southern Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were so disappointed in our stay. #8 Apt was the only one left and now I see why . I certainly agree with an earlier post regarding the interiors. It rained the evening of our arrival, so normally we would be content with TV or books we brought. However the satellite was not working well ( and would not be for 6 weeks we were told), the sleeper couch was SO very uncomfortable, old and saggy, and there were no bedside tables and only a very dim overhead light to read by. The carpet was dirty and spotted. There was a very dark carpet stain at the head of my bed,which looked to be water damage and perhaps mold. The furniture we had in the bedrooms was clearly garage sale finds or very old hand-me downs. The appliances in the kitchen were new and clean.
The place may have been cleaned by staff, but just felt dirty. The bathroom had gaps in the flooring at the walls. The supplied towels (for an extra fee) were fresh, but hanging right over the toilet and were touching the top of the toilet. (I am glad I brought some towels from home) There was no electric plug in the bathroom and no mirrors in any other room to dry my hair. You could not sit on the toilet with out your nose in the sink. The bathroom and bedroom doors all drug on the carpet and were difficult to close. The view from our deck was of the storage and workshop area, and the parking lot. Our immediate and adjoining deck neighbors was a family with 3? very cute but very loud girls. They had a hot tub which they were in, in the evenings. Great for them but not very peaceful for us. We could hear them in our bedroom at night as well. I am in no way upset with the kids, they were certainly there and entitled to have fun. I am just saying the units are NOT set up for privacy and especially number 8. The sliding glass door was broken (glass and frame).We had a public coke machine on our deck.
I can't speak about the other units, just ours. $133 per night and an extra $10 per night for them to supply linens and make the bed up before your arrival and supply towels...We took our boat with us (first time at Raccoon Lake) and were having some troubles with it. We decided to leave a day early because without the boat there was just nothing to do, and I was so ready to get out of that "lodge". We were also offered a "free night" voucher for a return visit......I won't be back. I do understand this was maybe supposed to be rustic, but rustic can still be clean and in good repair and costs less because you get less. We stayed at a 4.5 star hotel in downtown Chicago on the miracle mile for $89 dollars a night for goodness sake. And my husband and son take 4 wheeling trips to VA and stay in better accommodations for 1/3rd of this price.
Manager, if you are turning this place around, you better quit renting #8 or redo it now.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I've got nothing but great things to say about RLL. Just returned from four days there with 12 members of my family. We rented two units. Both of them were immaculately clean with new appliances, completely stocked kitchen, and gorgeous views of the lake from the decks. The decks were big with lots of chairs for our big family and we took advantage of the crystal clear pool which was cleaned every day. Allison, Char, and Roger were extremely friendly and accomodating. It's not too far away from Chicago or Indianapolis, close to the town of Rockville, close to Turkey Run State Park, close to the covered bridges, and RLL even rents out pontoon boats and jet skis to its guests. One of the two units looks like it has been recently renovated and was beautiful with giant windows and a loft which the little kids just loved sleeping in. The other unit had a great kitchen area but looks like the bedrooms/bathroom are still in the process of being renovated - but that didn't detract at all from our experience. There was a fire pit going every night, tetherball, horseshoes, the pool, fishing, and of course the lake which we took full advantage of. Our family does a vacation together every summer, we will definitely consider coming back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Orland Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Recently my family stayed at the Raccoon Lodge. Like others, I wanted to see current pictures of the resort before making the decision to stay. Unfortunately, the website for the resort is not updated with current pictures yet, however, if you e-mail them they will send pictures of the cabin you are interested in. I was very skeptical about this resort due to the fact that the previous reviews were not very good. I personally called and talked with the manager Allison to ask some questions. She was very honest with me about the fact that the resort had been neglected for some years, but, since she took over as manager last summer, many changes have been made. She assured me that new appliances are being installed where needed, the piers have been fixed and extended and the office and units have been painted; for starters. The unit we stayed in even had a brand new swing on the porch that I took full advantage of each night. Flower pots are scattered around the resort with beautiful arrangements.Allisons team is very close and work countless hours each day. Anytime you needed anything, they came immediately to see how they can help. We stayed the week before the fourth of July and watched them work from 8 am to 10 pm getting everything ready for the big weekend. I want to personally thank Allison, her father, Josh and Travis for making us feel like family. The resort is located on a hill which requires visitors to walk up and down many stairs, so this might be a little difficult for a family member that is not very mobile. Each unit has a deck of some type, and most ,if not all, have a swing that this mom was in heaven with.Most of the units also look over the lake. This resort is only 3.5 hours or less from the Chicago area. It is definately worth checking out if you want to get away for an entire week or just a few days. Allison is so devoted to this resort that I wish her the best. The buildings are older, but her team is working constantly to update everything they can. The unit we stayed in was very clean and the blankets on the bed were so soft. The bed my daughter slept in was more comfortable than her own at home.
If you don't have a boat, don't worry, they have them to rent, They also have a huge pool with plenty of seating around it. The resort also sits under many huge trees for those who don't like to be in the sun all the time. I hope after reading this review that future visitors won't hesitate to make a reservation.

• Stayed July 2009
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Our family met at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge. I live in North Carolina and my sisters and brother live in Michigan. We vacation together every year and thought we would try to meet closer to their home this year. We had a wonderful time. The lodge was perfect for us! The pool is kept exceptionally clean, the grounds are all well groomed. All of our questions and requests were answered in a very timely matter. Allison was very helpful to us from the time we made our reservations to the time we checked out. We will definately be back to Raccoon Lakeside Lodge!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
allisonlee, Manager at Raccoon Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review about our lodge. We value all of our customers and we enjoy hearing that our customers were happy with thier stay. We have made many changes and tried hard to improve our lodge over the last couple years. We look forward to seeing you and your family in the future and are very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Been to Raccoon Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!