“Keep driving” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Richmond
Pittsburgh, PA
“Keep driving”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

First off, the reason for giving this motel a one rating is because you can't give a zero. Normally I go by "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything." However, this time I feel a need to warn travelers to keep moving to another motel. Any other motel would be better, bar none.... After growing tired from 10 hours of driving, my wife and I arrived at the motel. Going down the hall to my room, the hallway smelled. The room did not smell any better. I checked the bed for bugs including taking off the pillow cases only to reveal sweat stained pillows that didn't smell any better than the carpet. The headboard fell off of the bed when I bumped it. There were cigarette burns in the bedding, even though we were in a non-smoking room. We did not feel comfortable or safe that night. In the morning, going to the office area for breakfast....what breakfast? We took some coffee and left.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Booked this room off of the pictures I saw on the website and due to the fact that the Hampton as booked and didn't immediately find the hotels that are on the other side of town. First view when I get there was a)Some of the pictures on the website are a DIFFERENT Super8 and b)the other pictures must have been when this place was brand new. It looked closed up and abandoned. The hallways smelled of stale cigarette smoke and the room didn't smell that much better. My next concern was, considering the poor conditions all around, bed bugs. Unfortunately I ignored all the red flags and decided to stay here, considering I had just driven 5 hours and the paid for the room. Well I should have ate the $50 it costs to stay here and went elsewhere because, wihin 48 hours of leaving I noticed terrible itching and what looked to be mosquito bites on my legs and torso. Doing a bit of research it looks like bed bug bites all over! I checked all my clothes and suitcase and it looks like I didn't carry them with me, but I am in the process of filing a complaint with Super8. Please do yourself a favor and book a room on the other side of town!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Last night it had been my intention to camp in my tent on my big road trip, but I decided that it was too hot. So I got off at one of the Richmond exits and there were two motels. The Comfort Inn was full, so I went across the street to Super 8, which appeared to be wanting for business. Not hard to tell why. I will say that the front desk ladies were friendly and the pool was nice for a late evening dip. Now I found the room to be reasonably clean, and these days always leave a tip for those hard working maids who have a rather thankless job. I appreciate them.. The condition of this building and the interiors of the rooms was pretty shabby and rundown. The locks on the exterior doors leading into the building do not work, something of a security risk. I read in one of the other reviews of this place that it was one of the original Howard Johnson's! Maybe it should be declared a National Historic Landmark! I guess the so-so looking Chinese restaurant next door was the HoJo's restaurant, something I enjoyed as a child. Motels like this serve a purpose for those looking to stay economically. I was only charged $46 and change plus tax. Would I stay there again? Preferably not. I passed on their skimpy breakfast and went to Bob Evans across the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Orland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel needs lots of work. It is very very outdated. There is mold in the bathrooms. The hallways even smelled dirty. BUT the management was very nice and helpful if you needed anything.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I expected little from this hotel, and my expectations were met, but just barely. This was a last-minute switch from another hotel that we had reserved, but which seemed to be suspended from their chain's reservation system (not a good sign). The rate was OK for a holiday weekend. It was very hot in the hallway and the air conditioner out there could not be turned on. It was hot outside too, but the gate to access the outdoor poll was padlocked. The room didn't look too bad, cleanliness was acceptable, but maintenance in the room was slipping just as it was in the public areas. The hairdryer was broken, or maybe it was the ground-fault outlet, which looked ancient.

The mattress was not too bad and the hotel was quiet so I slept pretty well. Breakfast was the bare minimum for Super 8- coffee, 2 cereals, toast, and donuts. The "grower's pride" machine dispensed the worst imitation of orange juice I've ever tasted.

I stood around for a few minutes waiting to check out and listening to a TV preacher condemn in great detail several sins I didn't know I had committed, then gave up. As I drove away I saw the clerk returning to the office building, probably from making a towel delivery.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked our room a month in advance so we got a 20% discount but still not worth it. After checking in the sheets and pillcases were dirty and stained. Called the office and they brought new sheets but didnt make the bed. And no refrigerator first motel ive been to without one. It is not worth the money spend a little more and go further down the road.

• Stayed May 2012
new holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My room was good and clean. Everything worked .I would say a little worn on the carpet and furniture. Friendly staff and quick check in. The price was $52 plus tax and I think slightly overpriced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Richmond? Share your experiences!