“Tired, worn but this motel worked for us” 3 of 5 stars

Richmond Super 8 Motel
2525 Chester Blvd., Richmond, IN 47374   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Richmond
Seattle
“Tired, worn but this motel worked for us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This motel is in need of renovation - the is carpet spotted and the furniture is old. But the rooms are large and I liked the dual sinks - one in with the toilet/tub and one in the bedroom.

The staff is very friendly but the breakfast is minimal. There's a huge grocery store just across the parking lot so it's easy to pick up some things there. We grew up in the midwest and now live out west, so a close by White Castle was a treat!

Sheets were clean, as were the towels. Nothing fancy, but priced right.

Note that the office is in an entirely different building than the rooms.

Room Tip: I'd suggest upstairs so you don't have anyone above you.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Macomb, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Pet friendly hotel with very friendly staff who actually gave us dog treats when we checked in. That was a first. The room is large so there's plenty of space.

The hotel though is very dated though and needs TLC badly. Our room's air conditioner sounded like it needed new bearings for the fan. I let the staff know about that. The floor felt a little damp like it was recently steam cleaned. They needed to let that room air out before opening that room to new guests. Wall paper in the bathroom looked like someone with no experience did the installation. Door jam was rusty. Sheets were threadbare and had a stain, too. Really can't complain for the money and no pet deposit or service fee.

A major overhaul is needed. A handyman making a checklist on every room would be a good start.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We were planning on staying here on the first night of our cross country road trip. The motel was pretty busy that night and we had to park in the back of the parking lot which wasn't very well lit. After we parked we were gathering our things and my husband noticed a car speeding up towards our car very quickly. A man came running at the car and opened my door. Once he saw my husband was in the car as well he put up his hands and ran away back to his car. I never even saw the inside of the motel because we immediately went and got our money back. The rooms might be ok but it is not safe. I would recommend staying somewhere that cares enough about their customers to put in lights in their parking lot.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Greenfield, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

My daughter and I spent the nIght before her wedding here. She woke up the next morning, HER WEDDING DAY!!, with her left eye lid all red and swollen and she numerous red welts on her arms and legs. She was devasteded and wanted to cancel the wedding. She has very sensutive skin and has servere reactions to any type of insect bites. We immediately thought of bed bugs and started checking the beds. We found one on her pillow, which we killed and put in a baggie. I took it to the front desk. I was told by the lady there that she thought it was a tick & not a bed bug. I have never seen a tick that looked like that!! But I have never seen a bed bug before. I told her either way they had a big problem & they had better get it taken care of. She gave me half off our room!! Big deaL!!!

• Stayed May 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I visit Richmond regularly. The Super 8 is very economical, and the staff very friendly. They even remember my child's name when he's not with me. I agree with the prior review. This is one of the original Howard Johnson's from 40+ years ago. A few years ago there was an off smell to the halls. But with new carpet and better upkeep, the odor is gone. The wireless now works well. The breakfast is cold cereal and coffee/juice - bare bones, but a good value. The adjacent Indian/Chinese restaurant is slow and marginal. The Bob Evans across the street is better, but shuts down earlier than one would expect. The Comfort Inn across the street and the Fairfield Inn 5 miles east are definitely newer and nicer. But the Super 8 is often substantially cheaper.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2005

I don't expect the world from a Super 8, but I do expect better than this. While there has been some remodeling done (wallpaper for sure), there are other areas needing much attention, such as the tub area, which was very mold/mildew filled. The room had a strange (and hard to describe) odor. Very limited TV channel selection. Walls seem to be very thin as I could hear the conversation going on next door at 7 AM. Rates are way too high for what you get at this hotel.

Been to Richmond Super 8 Motel? Share your experiences!