“Great Food, Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 93 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Richmond, Indiana
“Great Food, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I have been here many times to done in and for carry out. The dining service is great and they have friendly, helpful staff. The carry out service is great as well. You may want to add an additional 5 minutes to the time they give you for carry out. The food is great. I have been to many Sushi places in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky and this is one of my favorites locally. I would recommend their Yamato Roll and their Godzilla Roll. :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Very good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We ended up here after another place we wanted to dine at was closed, and we were very glad. The service was very good. The fried dumplings were well prepared and tasty. The salad was served with yum yum sauce which is new to me. I've had it served with my entree at other habachi places but never on my salad. I could eat anything with yum yum sauce on it so this was great! My filet was cooked properly, rice was well seasoned, and the shrimp tastes fresh and were very large. The portions were great and we were too full for dessert. Would be a great date night place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A Major Disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I am a Richmond resident and received a advertisement in the mail for this new Japanese restaurant. I was excited about the prospect of a new dining experience. I have have always enjoyed Japanese cuisine. Not being much of a sushi fan I ordered a filet and a lobster tail, not Japanese but I expected a quality meal. Sadly there was nothing but texture that resembled a lobster tail. It tasted more like synthetic fish. If it actually was authentic lobster I think the meat had been removed from the tail and prepared on a grill with some kind of fish. The clumps of meat were then put back in the tail. This was far and away the poorest quality lobster tail that I have ever tasted. This was a strange dinner experience. The filet mignon, that I ordered cooked medium resembled pot roast. It was also cut into portions, more like beef tips. I must say it was good but certainly not what I thought I ordered. I feel that I got a maxi portion of rice and mini portions of everything else. The salad and soup were very good. Overall this was a fairly expensive and regrettable experience. I was actually relieved that not one employee asked if I enjoyed the meal because I really prefer not to complain. I do that here!

Visited March 2013
“Lovelovelove Japanese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I live here in Richmond and I come to yamatos all the time. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is tranquil. The good is FANTASTIC and it's a very clean and relatively new restaurant. It's #1 in my book!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge City, Indiana
“Excellent Food & Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The food is excellent. The atmosphere is wonderful. The decor is really well done. The staff was very welcoming and helped to offer suggestions based on things I liked. The recommendations were right on. I will be coming back here a lot!

Visited March 2013