“Peaceful neighborhood.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westside Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
The Westside Guest House
Ranked #2 of 5 Richmond B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Peaceful neighborhood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the morning sun suite. The suite has a nicely decorated living room, clean well stocked kitchen, sparkling bathroom and good sized bedroom with a very comfortable king size bed. The owner was very nice but seemed a little frazzled and unprepared for our stay but may have been due to having had another couple in the room the night before us. The entry to this room is on the side of the house and the steps may be hard to navigate for anyone with walking issues. The drinks and snacks in the kitchen were great and the chocolates on the table were a nice touch. The door to this room is very close to 2 other doors. We heard someone coming in another part of the house at about 2:30 in the morning and thought someone was breaking in!! Besides that it was very quite. The morning sun in the living room was very nice. I would suggest replacing the wood paneling and the olive green carpet in the bedroom, although very clean reminds me of sleeping in my Grandma's basement and doesn't fit with the more modern look of the rest of the suite. We would stay here again next time we are in Richmond.

• Stayed June 2013
WestsideGuestHouse, Owner at The Westside Guest House, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I wish everything had been just perfect, though. I wish I hadn't seemed frazzled. I've been doing this long enough that I shouldn't have been thrown when you arrived a little early. And you're right about the bedroom paneling -- we've planned to give the walls the same treatment as in the living room, but we keep waiting for a time when our availability coincides with vacancies. Your post is probably the kick in the behind that we need -- we just need to block out a week and do it. So ... if you do stay with us again -- after this month -- no more grandma's basement! As for the carpeting, that may be there a while, since the guest house is a labor of love for us and we make improvements as we can afford them. It IS clean, though. As for the noise from other guests, I will try to contact you about that. I can't figure out how noise from the outer doors would've carried back to the bedroom, so I probably just need more information to know how to address that concern. And we do have one apartment -- The Hideaway -- that works well for people who can't manage steps. That apartment is all on one level, with doorways wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair. We also have a shower chair, for guests who may need it. Thanks again for being so thorough. We are always looking for ways to improve, and you've given us several things to work on!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I think the fact that I slept better here than I do at home is a sign of how wonderful this place is. It was fully equipped with the kind of amenities I value, including good tea and coffee. Heck, we lucked out and got fresh flowers left by the previous guest. I shared the house with two other people and we had more than enough space for privacy and for common areas. The location for those at Earlham College or School of Religion is ideal. The only negative I experienced was that the Internet was occasionally sticky and slow, though it always healed after reboot. While this is almost something like a secret I'd love to keep, I decided a public thank you to Cheryl was well-deserved and that I should just book early.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! And thanks for letting me know about the Internet problems. I've been monitoring that situation and investigating other Internet providers in case we need to switch. So far we haven't had a recurrence of what you experienced, but I wanted you to know I'm grateful for the "heads up."
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We just stayed at the Westside Guest House this past weekend, in the Morning Sun Suite. This place is such an amazing find in so many ways. The house itself is situated within walking distance to the Earlham campus, and across from a park. It's a really nice neighborhood for taking a walk. The amenities are plentiful and we felt so welcomed. Cheryl is a delight to work with and has really thought of everything, from appliances you might need (e.g. iron, hair dryer), to a well-equipped kitchen that includes a Keurig coffee maker and a variety of coffees, tea and hot chocolate, cereal, snacks, and chocolates.
We really could relax and have a space to be in that felt like home. Very luxurious. I wish we would have found this place earlier in our son's time at Earlham. We have also stayed in the main residence with an equally happy experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
It warmed my heart to see this review. I, too, wish you had found our place earlier. It was such a pleasure getting to know both of you! And now that your son has graduated, it makes me sad that I probably won't see you again ... unless, of course, you just HAVE to come back to Richmond for some Ghyslain or Olympian chocolates, or some Galo's Italian, or some antiques from Centerville ... Have I convinced you to come back yet? =)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Guesthouse is very comfortable and they have thought of everything -- great snacks and dinner food based on special dietary regulations, comfortable beds, a really nice, big, clean bathroom. There are DVDs with the tv, the kitchen is fully stocked. Everything is clean and nice and new -- the carpet is great (no "icky" feeling under your feet). They seem to have thought of everything (except maybe a small mirror outside the bathroom wd be nice to put on makeup while your companion is showering). We checked in and out early, which was no problem. We found the town of Richmond kind of depressing, tho this was in one of the best neighborhoods.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Hideaway, which was in the basement but didn't have a basement-y feel. Two roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WestsideGuestHouse, Owner at The Westside Guest House, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed our guest house, and thanks so much for the EXCELLENT suggestion about the mirror! If you stay with us again, you'll find one there. We are always grateful when our guests tell us what would make their experience even better.
The Plains, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in the Hide-away one bedroom apartment for 10 weeks while on a clinical rotation at Reid Hospital. The house has a great location in a residential area with a park right across the street. The bed was super comfy and the apartment felt like home. Cheryl and Mickey were easy to get ahold of if you needed anything. The patio was my favorite place to sit outside, read, and enjoy the summer weather. This is a great place for a long or short term stay. If I ever need a place to stay in Richmond I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
It was so great having you with us for those 10 weeks! One of the best things about having the guest house is that we get to meet so many wonderful people (like you!), and since we live next door, we feel very blessed when our extended-stay guests come to feel like really wonderful neighbors, as you did. We also love seeing our guests enjoy the porch and patio. Thanks so much for staying with us, and I hope we get a chance to welcome you back one day!
Richmond, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed at the Westside Guest House for the month of June 2012 as I was starting a new job in Richmond but had not yet found a home. it was a wonderful experience! The units are pet friendly and it is directly across from a quiet park, which was great for taking the dogs for walks. The unit itself was very spacious and comfortable. The rooms are stocked with cereals, coffees, candies, and even a pizza for your first night! They provide access to dishes, pots and pans, linens...everything you need for an extended stay. The king bed was extremely comfortable and there was plenty of storage space. I highly recommend it as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Apt. # 3, the one bedroom with the kitchen open to the living room (several pictures of this unit) w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I was impressed by the manager/owner's communication and helpfulness. I am hoping my daughter decides to go to Earlham next year so that I can make this another home away from home when I visit! :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Westside Guest House? Share your experiences!