“So close” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, Indian, Dessert, Fusion, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Website is more for the chocolate shop in another Indiana town but in Richmond, IN, there is a bistro/dessert shop that is amazing!!!
Richmond, Indiana
“So close”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went for lunch through the week. Figured it would be a slow period and I could take my time and really get a feel for the place. The bread they serve was outstanding. My entree was flank steak with a bechamel sauce and duck fat fries. The kitchen got the cook on the steak wrong twice (I had asked for medium and it came out raw the first time and rare the second), the bechamel had broken and was gloupy, the steak was not of a particularly high quality. The saving grace however were the fries. Wonderful golden brown, and the duck fat makes a tremendous difference. You can't go wrong with any of the desserts. You can tell that a trained, competent chef devised the menu and then handed it over to someone making $8 an hour for the execution. Perhaps if they were willing to pay for a decent sous chef they could break through into excellence.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A wonderful stop for chocolate, gelato or a light meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

While the Depot District itself is not worth diverting for, Ghyslain's is definitely worth a stop if you want some wonderful light fare, chocolates, pastry or gelato. The connecting store also has plenty of goodies to tempt the visitor. Our spirits picked up considerably after having been let down by the lackluster Depot District.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boonville, Indiana, United States
“Memorable Girls' Luncheon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stopped for lunch with my 2 sisters at this little casual, but elegant restaurant . Wonderful experience ! Sisters enjoyed their delicious chicken salad on croissant. The sandwich was made with large pieces of chicken, great tasting dressing and even had some remaining to take home and share that evening. I ordered the quiche lloraine and it was just the right "light" lunch. The fruit side dish was very tasty and so fresh. Our server was very pleasant and the pastries were little works of art (although, they cost almost as much as our entrees) I just sampled my sisters' desserts, since I had filled up on the quiche and the bread beforehand. Great "special treat" day!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indiana
“A little treat in Richmond IN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

French food AND a chocolatier...what could be better?

Ok, this isn't the perfect Fine Dining/French Bistro in the world, but it is certainly worth the trip and will provide a memorable evening in Richmond, IN.

I had the pasta with fresh vegetables and it was filing and good--flaws were apparent, but it was a satisfying dish. Everyone at the table enjoyed their dishes in fact. Service was responsive and attentive to detail in this small restaurant--and as in all fine establishments were as invisible or as present as needed. The menu is limited, but the food is good and they altered a dish exactly as requested with no issues. The wine list is good and our choice was excellent.
What a shame it would have been to skip coffee....the tableside french press and assorted accompaniments were sinfully good and I did almost think I was in NYC with all the flourish and attention by waitstaff.
If you can't find something to love in the desert selections, you probably hate Christmas and Birthdays too---it is all amazing and the chocolate array begs for additional carry out.
this is pricey for Richmond, but not pricey for the service, intimate dining size and quality ingredients. I thought some of the preparations missed a beat here and there, but it would not at all prevent me from returning for special celebration evening or perhaps just a nice lunch.
Don't skip the coffee or the desert and you will relish the experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenfield, Indiana
“Great food, yummy gelato!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The entire dining experience is perfect. The warm French bread with the real butter and the trio of salts starts every meal. I old make this my meal as it is wonderful. I adored the Cobb salad. Everything tasted so freshened the ranch dressing had to be house made. He flavor swerve great. My husband had the meatball pesto sandwich and raved. My sister had the French dip and duck fries. The duck fries are home made fries fried in duck fat. If you like French fries you have got to get these!
We all had gelato for dessert and I would highly recommend it. I had the pear,walnut and blue cheese gelato.

Visited August 2013