“Awful service, mediocre food, terrible atmosphere...” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 71 Restaurants in Portage
Cuisines: American
“Awful service, mediocre food, terrible atmosphere...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Having few restaurants in the area that are NOT fast food chains, we went to Applebees for a week night meal. The place was very busy- likely because there is an utter ABSENCE of decent restaurants in the area for residents, NOT because the establishment is better than any other local chain restaurant. The drinks came quickly, but the food took over 45 minutes to get to the table after the order- and THEY FORGOT MY WIFE'S MEAL. When we finally saw our server and flagged her down, she walked to the table to refill our water glasses. We informed her that my wife's meal hadn't been brought out and she responded (not kidding) "Oh, I thought you ate it." Then we waited another 20 minutes for the meal to arrive, and it despite being a salad- the order was wrong. Wrong salad, wrong dressing and etc. but she ate it anyway- and informed the server it was the wrong salad when she finally came back. She offered to bring "another" salad, but we just wanted to go home and get out of that noisy place.

My suggestion is to avoid this place- even fast food take out is better than mediocre food, bad service and a bad atmosphere.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

A TripAdvisor Member
“CrappleBee's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2004

I'll tell you what, I've been to a few different Applebee's and I must say the one in Portage is the absolute WORST! You would think that a chain restaurants's food would be consistent, not here. The food is less than sub par. I like other Applebees, but nothing from here I have ever ordered tastes like the food from any other Applebee's restaurants. Many times they didn't even have items offered on the menu. "Sorry, we are out of that." And, the service is really terrible. Often you are left waiting forever for your food with not so much as a drink refill. So, If you are hungry and you stumble along Portage's Applebee's, MOVE ON!