“Not So Good” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Savannah, Georgia
“Not So Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My friend ordered spaghetti and a meatball [add $1.50 for the meatball]. It was okay. The sauce was nearly bitter. I ordered the spinach stuffed shells. Not good at all. I was served a bowl of white goo. There was so much cheese on top of the shells I could not taste them. Not to mention the fact that the pasta was so overcooked it fell apart.

Will not go back. If they cannot get the sauce or pasta right there is not much left.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Portage, Indiana
“The best in NW Ind.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I see some others have reviewed this place as being sub par or so so. I have been eating there for many years & it is still the best in the region. That says a lot for an area known for great pizza. The taste is unique & great as per these taste buds. The dining area is open & may not be what some may call top shelf, but it is good with me. If you want to pay for "Atmosphere" then please do so else where. This is a blue collar family place. Down to earth, with substance over style. The parking lot is small but adequate. Do yourself a favor, try it!

Visited April 2014
Hobart, Indiana
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently went to Gelsosomo's for pizza. I hadn't been there in a while, so was looking forward to it. I was disappointed. Although our waitress, Jen, was fantastic, I found the pizza just wasn't as good as I remembered. We ordered the Italian Link Specialty Pizza and found it was rather bland and had very little cheese, despite the cost of $20 for a large pizza. The place was really packed, so maybe my pizza was just "off".

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
STC, MO
“More hype than quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived before the crowd. Our waitress didn't seem to care about waiting on us. We ordered the deep dish pizza because of all the hype. It took 45 minutes to get the pizza and it was barely warm. Seems like if it takes that long to back it would be steaming hot. There was more sauce than anything and it was impossible to find the pepperoni. Every time someone came in the restaurant we would freeze for quite awhile afterwards. Don't know that I will be rushing back when I'm in town.

Visited March 2013
Valparaiso, IN
“Wow, what a great pizza place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My friends and I try to get to Gelsosomo's in Valparaiso, IN, at least every 2 weeks because of the sensationally good pizza. Service is superb, and my buddy who's a heart patient takes 5 minutes to give detailed instructions to the waitress on how LITTLE cheese to use, which type of olives must be included, etc. etc. These women just smile patiently and get the kitchen to comply -- which has worked every time but ONCE in the past year. The sauce, the toppings, and the crust may not be to every pizza lover's taste, but to me they are the pinnacle of pizza in Northwest Indiana -- which I say with 60+ years of experience.

Visited March 2013