“Location!” 5 of 5 stars

| Summerville Beach, Summerville Centre, Nova Scotia B0T 1T0, Canada   |
hamilton, on
“Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay here at the end of August 2011. We had been unable to get a reservation in advance, but then when we were actually in the area we went to eat at the grill and found they had a cancellation. Our unit was clean, bright and comfortable. The location is perfect: right on the beautiful beach and close to many other beaches, parks etc. The fact that the restaurant is on the property is a huge plus - delicious food just steps away from your unit if you don't feel like cooking. The only tip I have is to make your reservation NOW!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saskatoon, SK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Coming home to NS for a visit this past summer, my boyfriend and I were thrilled to snag a rare cancellation and spent four nights at the Quarterdeck.

The location is unbeatable. The beach is right in front of your front porch, and we fell asleep to the crashing waves every night. The weather was unfortunately rainy during our stay, but we still managed to enjoy a few hours playing in the waves.

We'd been told about the bedtime cookies, and were finally there to enjoy them on our third night. Staff bring a basket of warm cookies around for the guests - it was such a great touch. (We heard there was also supposed to be a bottle of wine in the fridge upon check in, but did not receive this - so I'm not sure if this was a myth?)

The front desk staff was lovely - warm, welcoming, and gave a great tour on check-in.

And finally - the food! When staying at the Quarterdeck, you MUST eat at the restaurant at least once. Try to get a table in the extension that looks out over the ocean. There is nothing more romantic than sharing an amazing meal (and you can't go wrong with anything on the menu), while watching the tide come in and the sun set.

We hope to make a return trip - for much longer - next summer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We take a yearly vacation to NS and stay at the White Point Beach Resort nearby.
For variety we had gone to the Quaterdeck for the fine food, wine sellection and beach front dining.
This year however, we sat down to dinner to find the prices had increased and the portions looked to be apitizer sized. I had a Ceasar salad that was small for the price but tastey. My son had the Digby scallops, again a small portion but tastey. I wanted to try one but he had too few to spare. After looking forward every summer to this treat,
we were sorely disappointed. The view and staff are always great and we were greeted as
old friends. Because of the warm hospitality we did not make a comment then.
We just resumed going to the White Point resort where we had great food more reasonably priced with a great buffet and we were again greeted by that wonderfull Nova Scotia hospitality. We will not be back and will miss the Quarterdeck.
Mike Juneau & Family

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We actually spent 2 nights at the Quaterdeck in late June a few years ago but Trip Advisor wouldn't let me pick a date that far back. I always appreciate other people's reviews when I'm planning a trip so thought I'd get back on track with mine.

The rooms were really cute, very cottage like which is what I expected. They had everything you'd need, fridge, microwave, DVD player (with movies to borrow). My favorite part were the cookies they came around with every evening. We were right on the ocean, very beautiful location. I hoped to swim but too cold!! Noone was in the water. At the last minute I threw in a hooded sweatshirt and I'm glad I did because I wore it the whole time!

The restaurant was good too. Again, right on the water. We had one supper here and went into Liverpool for supper the next night.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat! Just a little pricey. But if travelling from away and want to be right on the ocean - stay here!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed here at the end of July 2011 for a single night. We were lucky with the weather and spent a lot of time on the beach, despite the frigid water temperature. The restaurant was crowded the night we were there and the service seemed exceptionally slow, however the food was exellent.

There was an earlier review that said that irons and ironing boards were not in the villas, however our villa had one. The earlier review also complained about the extra fee for children and I agree. Our room rate after tax for a single night was $378.00. To charge us another $17.00 a night because we brought our 7 year old seems rather extreme to me as well. Especially after spending an additional $200 for dinner at the restaurant. They may have changed their policy on younger children though, as they said that children under five years of age are now free. Perhaps if there were four adults in one villa, I could possibly understand, but charging extra for a 7 year old just seems wrong.

A nice treat was the delivery of home made chocolate chip cookies by (I think she said her name was Ann). They were delicious and a nice surprise. The location, I discovered is also a great spot for star-gazing.

One night here is just too short. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We recently spent two nights here. There is a great walking beach, lovely landscaped grounds and a superb seafood restaurant - in fact, we think this is the best seafood restaurant we've found thus far in NS - kudos to the chef & staff.

We look forward to another visit, perhaps during the off season.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite was comfy but small - we will try a two-bedroom the next time.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights in the Osprey Nest cottage, just across the road from the main villas.

We loved the atmosphere of the place, and Summerville beach was gorgeous (albeit cold so early in the season!) Our cottage was quaint but comfortable and well-supplied; it was just what we needed for some uninterrupted downtime. It was great to have a BBQ and full kitchen in our own cottage so we could eat on our own lazy schedules. The accommodations weren't luxurious per se, but we were comfortable and happy.

Unfortunately, the water softener made the tapwater extremely salty so our coffee was a little subpar. (This can be overcome by running the tap 5-10 minutes before you need potable drinking water.)

The restaurant is quite popular among seafood eaters. We quite liked its ambience, but found the "turf" portion of the menu a little underwhelming. We had a better experience at one of nearby Liverpool's quaint pubs.

Overall, we'd love to find an excuse to visit again... and next time, we'll bring bottled water!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Quarterdeck Beachside Villas and Grill? Share your experiences!