“The Sushi and Fried Bananas "Saved" the Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 117 Restaurants in Noblesville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Anderson, Indiana
“The Sushi and Fried Bananas "Saved" the Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was invited back to this restaurant and our meal experience was a bit better than the first go around. We had reservations and we were glad we did because they were packed - as in people were waiting outside for seats on a Friday evening. Since we had reservations, we were promptly seated (only about a 5 minute wait). When this restaurant is full, it is super noisy and you must wait in a cue line for the buffet just FYI.

Out of the 4 people at our table, only one got the meat option. Luckily, our waiter did not go into a long talk about all the "extras" you can order along with your meal and simply brought us waters and we were "released" to the buffet. I was quite surprised that the lunch buffet and the dinner buffet are identical. The one major difference I noticed however was there is no longer peel and eat shrimp on the buffet and instead it has been replaced with sushi rolls. These were delicious and my fiance and I ate these along with salad. None of us bothered with any of the "cream salads" - they are grocery deli style and just did not look very appetizing.

My father in law was very pleased with the meat selections and the servers were extremely quick. I was quite satisfied with my spinach salad and sushi, but I must admit I would have been underwhelmed if all I had to eat was a salad like I can make myself at home. The surprising treat of the evening was the fried bananas. We all ate a ton of them and they were amazing. Honestly, I would go back just to eat these fried bananas that was how good they were.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Carmel, Indiana
“Cool Experience with A Few Concerns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We have eaten at Tucanos three times since they opened a few months ago. Generally, they do a great job, but we have a couple of concerns.

On the positive side, the facility and atmosphere are pleasant and inviting, the staff is friendly and professional (and typically very young), and the food is good.

On the down side, on each of our visits, we found the skewered meat that is served to you was overcooked. This was particularly the case with the beef entrees. For the most part, you would characterize the beef served as either being extremely well done or perhaps burned. We did not really find this to be an issue with the pork, chicken, or sausage. The first time we visited when they first opened, we figured it was just part of the process of getting their house in order, but the beef has been badly overcooked on all three visits.

We typically like our beef served medium, where there is a pink center. At many Brazilian steakhouses where we have dined in the past, the meat is served in a way where portions can be sliced to provide an option of how you would like it cooked, but that was the not the case at Tucanos. When meat is served cooked to a dark gray color with charred or black crust, all the juice is gone and much of the flavor is lost. Perhaps this just coincidentally happened to us and is not always the case. I do hope they will really work to cook their beef to more of a medium range.

We also are big iced tea drinkers and when we have had the tea at Tucanos, it is served too strong. I guess this is more of a personal preference, but we like the caramel-colored, light brown tea vs. the heavy black tea that is too strong to drink without heavy sweetening or watering it down.

Generally our family of four enjoy the restaurant, including the gigantic salad bar. The soups, including lobster bisque, were delicious. We did find the young servers to be enthusiastic and friendly.

I am sure when many people plan their first visit to Tucanos they will be comparing it to other Brazilian Steakhouses like Fogo De Chao or Texas Roadhouse. It's probably best to visit without trying to compare Tucanos. It's a similar concept, but far less authentic but also much less cost. Overall, it a good place to take people for a big meal at a reasonable price.

Also each time we visited, the manager came around and asked us about our experience. People do notice and appreicate when restaurants do that.

Enjoy...

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Noblesville, Indiana
“Great "Fogo de Chao-like" Experience! Half the Cost!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We (myself, my husband, our 1-year-old daughter, my father-in-law, and grandmother-in-law) ate here over Mother's Day weekend. Friendly attentive, prompt--the service was wonderful! The cost was $28/adult (regularly $23, but they had a holiday special going). The atmosphere was casual, too. Food was very good. The garlic shrimp and brown sugar pineapple were our favorites. Oh! The fried bananas were awesome as well.

We ate late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds. However, I can see how this place may not be as great in the late evening. It was pretty calm for us, but with a full-house, the restaurant could become quite cramped and noisy.

We love Fogo de Chao, but for the price and casual atmosphere, Tucanos will be our first choice. We'll definitely be back!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice addition to the Northside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had lunch there today. Arrived right at opening so no problems being seated, but did take longer than anticipated for the meat servers to begin coming around. Salad/side bar had a large variety. Enjoyed the collard greens and beans/rice and fried bananas the most. Salad was average. Sushi was decent. Would have liked to see more seafood offered. The meat servers don't provide it either. Its an additional cost. Once meat service started it was frequent. They are quite messy though. Not sure if they are still training or if it's the norm. Juices flying everywhere and large sticky spots on the table. The lemonade is amazing. Several flavors to chose from. Sign up for their online loyalty club for a free meal on your birthday. We also got a grand opening postcard for $10 off and free dessert. Arrive hungry!

Anderson, Indiana
“This is NOT anything like the other Brazilian steakhouse in Indy - Very "average"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

For those of you thinking you can come here and eat for a fraction of the price and have it be the same as Fogo de Chao you will be GREATLY disappointed.

First off, we knew better than to try and come here for dinner. The restaurants at Hamilton Commons are typically packed every night and this being a new restaurant, we knew they would be swamped. So, we called to make a lunch reservation for 2:30 (we called at 1:00). Now, we knew lunch ended at 3:00 but we did not want to pay the dinner price and we were only going to have the salad bar so we thought this would not be a problem. When we called to make the reservation, the girl "ho-hummed" on the phone and finally said they could "squeeze us in".

When we arrived at 2:30, the place was very noisy but not even close to being full by any means. It took them 5 minutes to seat us at a table that had not even been bussed, which was odd because all the other surrounding tables were clean. We then proceeded to sit at the dirty table for almost 10 minutes (we were on the verge of leaving) when a waitress and a girl in training approached the table and got our waters. By this time the restaurant was mostly empty.

She asked us if we had been there before, and we had not but we knew "the drill" because we looked it up online before we came. She however proceeded into a lengthy description of all the meats, skewers, appetizers, grilled fruits, ridiculously priced drinks, and desserts and seemed VERY much off put when we said we only wanted the salad bar. Be aware the servers will spend a great deal of time trying to nickel and dime you to death on all their "extras". We only wanted the salad bar partially because when we came in we noticed that a family was sitting in a booth across from us and they looked like they had been there for quite some time. I heard the husband remark (loudly) that the meat servers were dragging their feet.

So, once we told the waitress we were having the salad bar only, she took our small meat plates and then disappeared. When we made our way to the salad bar, I was disappointed. It was obvious many things came right out of the package, the fruit was from a can, and the steamed vegetables were also canned/frozen before being reheated. There were all these "supermarket deli style" pasta salads. It reminded me of potluck or the deli at Marsh. The salami and cheese were again from a package. They were OUT of soup cups with no one in sight to replace them so I missed out on that. The dressings were bottled; the rolls were like what you get at GFS.

It was honestly no better than the $6 buck salad buffet at a Chinese restaurant. When my dining partner inquired as to where the shrimp were on the buffet (we had to "flag down" our server) she said something like, "oh um, well I don't know". My dining partner had to prompt her to go find out why the shrimp had been removed from the salad bar...

Another thing that irked me was my knife AND napkin were dirty (there were crumbs all over my side of the table but I do not even think the table had been wiped down when we were sat). This restaurant is brand new.

There was nothing about my experience at this restaurant that would make me go back. I was able to get a coupon in the mail so we will give it another shot to see if it is any better. I give new restaurants more leeway because it does take time for servers to get into the swing of things. However, the salad bar was so lacking I see no reason to spend more money to get the meat option.

• Visited April 2014