“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64 to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   411 West Spring Street, New Albany, IN 47150 (Formerly Best Western Louisville West)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My family and I started overnight after driving from northern Ohio. We were heading back home to Arkansas. We booked the room through hotwire for 118.00 with tax for the night. Hotel is very nice. Rooms are spacious and the breakfast was delicious. Only issue I had was the room was extremely hot and the air only blew 2 inches away from the vent even with it down on 62. The beds were extremely soft and comfortable, but I can't sleep when I'm hot. We were on the 5th floor so maybe that's why the air was weak. Also, the Wi-Fi signal was extremely weak and slow I just disconnected and used my phone's internet. Otherwise the hotel was nice. We didn't use any other amenities but they offered plenty. Hotwire had issues with my room being booked, and the lady at the front desk went above and beyond to assist us in getting the room.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Jamila,

Thank you for your comments about your stay! I am thrilled Alex was able to get all of the reservation issues corrected for you. We are in the process of upgrading our internet to improve the coverage throughout the hotel. I can't wait to show you the improvement on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Aldrich, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Easy to get on and off I 64 to get downtown. Room was clean beds were comfortable. I had my 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren so the connecting rooms were just what we needed! The pool was great! Too bad we didn't know that on Mondays it is closed for cleaning. While I appreciate a clean pool, 3 little kids were sorely dissapointed they couldn't swim before we left town.
The staff was wonderful, Amanda who checked us in, and Anthony and Brandon? who helped us get the connecting rooms were great! amanda reccomended a pizza place that delivered and the pizza was AAAmazing!
We will be back next year!

Room Tip: As soon as you get off of I64, the entrance is tricky to find.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your kind feedback. We do clean the pool each Monday from 8am until 12pm. I am sorry the kids didn't get one last swim in before they left, but we are very excited to know they love out Olympic-Sized swimming pool. Our staff works hard to go above and beyond for each guest and we are very pleased we were able to exceed your expectations. We all look forward to your next stay in New Albany/Louisville.
Beech Grove, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you enjoy discourteous hotel associates, the aroma of decomposed chicken, maintenance deficiencies, and pranksters destroying the tranquility of sleep, book today for these perks and privileges at the “Worst” Western Plus I-64 in New Albany Indiana!

My travel brought me to this location due to a meeting in Louisville Kentucky. I booked the King Whirlpool Suite (room 418) Wednesday, July 16 -18, 2014. My meeting was changed to an earlier time and I called to see if I could get an early check-in. I was willing to pay an additional fee if necessary to insure that my wife would not be waiting in the lobby. I was informed that I could not get an early check-in due to “over booking”. I left my wife with the luggage in the lobby; she had to use the lobby restroom which had no bathroom tissue. After patiently waiting two (2) hours, my wife was informed our room was ready at 3:00 p.m. (normal check-in time). She was not greeted at the desk, the staff had no name badges and she was not provided customary information.

My meeting ended at 4:00 p.m. Once in my room, my wife stated that Housekeeping left a ¼ roll of bathroom tissue (no extra rolls provided), and no facial tissue. I went to the front desk and asked for 2 rolls of bathroom tissue. I felt insulted when the female desk clerk replied, “Do you really need 2 rolls of toilet paper?” We waited several hours for our room to cool down, only to realize that the air condition unit was not working properly. I went to the front desk to request maintenance. The male desk clerk followed me back to the room and “confirmed” that the air conditioning unit was not working. The male desk clerk got on the telephone and called “maintenance”. I asked when to expect repair, the reply: “We don’t have any maintenance on site, so it’ll be when he can get here.” The air condition unit was never fixed during my stay.

The room television channel information sheet claimed it featured 103 channels. Only 29 channels worked. Of these 29 channels: 8 had fractured digital images, 2 black and white static, 3 sound only with no image, 3 Home Shopping, 2 religious, 2 "No puedo hablar Inglés", 1 weather, 2 children programs, 1 national news, 3 local, 1 old television sitcoms, 1 old movies (note: no sports channel) finding these channels was a challenge and the remaining 74 channels were blank with a message, “Check antenna cable connection”. The fourth floor vending area had only an ice machine and an over filled trash container with 4 bags of garbage on the floor. The smell (rotted chicken) was so overwhelming it could only indicate that it had been there for at least a week. I do know for fact it was there July 16, 17 and 18th.

The lobby floor was saturated with water for 6 hours during a commercial cleaning of the tile floors. The lobby echoed a loud vacuuming sound, and only 1 wet floor sign was used. Wet floor signs should have been placed in several locations to warn the guest. My wife and I had difficulty walking across the wet floors. Due to the Forecastle festival in Louisville all hotels from south Indiana to central Kentucky was booked. I had another meeting the following day, going home was not an option, we felt that we were hostages.

The next day: The breakfast had many selections, probably one of the biggest we have experienced. My wife developed severe diarrhea and stomach cramps several hours after eating breakfast. When I returned from my meeting, I went to the front desk to ask for a nearby drug store to get some Kaopectate. The directions provided were not accurate.

Around 12:08 a.m. my wife heard a knock at our door. She felt it was in error and did not go to the door. Five-ten minutes later there was another knock, again we did not get up to answer the door, fifteen-twenty minutes later there was another knock. My wife dialed the front desk to inquire about the knocking. The female desk clerk told her that she was too busy and when she could, she would check into the situation. My wife and I both got up and looked out the door and found nobody in the hall. We both walked the hall together and noticed that we were the only guest with a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door. I went to the front desk and saw boys ranging from age 8 – 13 running around the lobby. The female desk clerk saw me and immediately informed me that she was too busy to help me (she was assisting a man who was very intoxicated). Twenty minutes later, I asked the female desk clerk if the hotel had surveillance and was informed that she did not know how to review or operate the surveillance. I indicated that something needed to be done about the knocking and if necessary the police needs to be called. The female desk clerk then stated in a rude tone, “It’s just kids!” The attitude was very unprofessional. It was roughly around 1:30 a.m. before I was able to go back to bed and another 20 minutes to fall asleep.

Our day of check-out: I was supposed to get a wakeup call and due to the lack of receiving this call, I was late for my last meeting in Louisville. During check-out a female desk clerk asked how our stay was, and my wife responded, “It could have been better”. The female desk clerk replied, “Have a nice day”. My wife is in the hospitality business and was appalled that this individual did not offer a statement of “What could we have done to make your stay better” or directed her to management. Our overall impression is that the employees do not care about the guest, the franchise owner or the Best Western Brand. I would have like to address the employees by name, however none of the desk associates wore name badges nor greeted the guest using their names (example: Hi! I’m Sue how can I assist you). My wife nor I recommend this particular hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Steve,
First, we owe you a sincere apology. What you experienced at our hotel is absolutely unacceptable. We have already made some staffing and procedural changes to correct the issues you experienced. In addition, we have completed an entire staff training using your feedback. While this is not a normal experience at our hotel, it is certainly inexcusable. I hope that you are willing to visit us again in the future so we can show you what lengths we have gone to so we can ensure our guests' stays exceed all expectations.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is older but in great shape and decorated very nice. The room was very clean and the staff very friendly. I must say this is one of the better breakfast that I have had in this type of setting. The food is well seasoned and not bland and there is a good variety and beautiful setting. I would recommend this hotel greatly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Our staff does everything possible to make our guests' stay a value. We are very happy we were able to provide that experience for you. We are particularly happy that you enjoyed our new breakfast items. We have been making some changes to our breakfast in attempt to provide the best hotel breakfast available. We now offer breakfast tacos, an oatmeal station, a yogurt station and many other options for our guests to customize their own breakfast experience. We can't wait to see you again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The lobby and breakfast room were nicely decorated, seemed new. Business center nice, large pool was great. Room was nice, but ceilings and walls could use some updating. Beds were very comfortable and was great to have a micro/fridge. We found the breakfast to be very disappointing both in availability and quality of the items...wasn't worth the extra money we paid for a "full breakfast". Staff was very nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel. Our upgraded mattresses make for a great night's sleep. We are in the process of updating our complimentary hot breakfast. I am sure you will love the new items on your next stay with us.
Amarillo, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Good hotel for family to stay during cross-country trip. Although an older property, it appeared to be well-maintained and fairly clean. Compared to other hotel swimming pools seen by my kids during our trip, this one was much larger and cleaner (maybe because of the hotel being an older property). Only downside was that the in-room internet on the top floor was pretty sketchy.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our property. The hotel has recently undergone a complete renovation to our guest rooms, public areas, meeting space, exterior and our pool area. Our guests love our large pool and our new outdoor patio area. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kalamazoo, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Very friendly service but hotel, being an older facility, could use some décor updating as many areas have seen better days and some facility maintenance overhauls, most notably, the cooling system are most definitely in order as the hotel seemed very warm/muggy all the time. Very nice pool though. If there was a "Good" rating as opposed to "Average" I would have given it that rating. I will repeat though, the staff at all levels that we came into contact with were extremely friendly, warm and helpful. I'd stay here again if I had business in the area or wanted to hang out in downtown Louisville for some fun (it's only six miles from downtown on other side of I64 bridge) but it turned out to be a bit further away from our friends/family we were visiting than what we anticipated so it wasn't as convenient as we thought it would be.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Brandon F, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am thrilled our staff provided you with a memorable level of service. We do our best to impress our guests. I apologize for the cooling issue during your stay. We had a unit that went out and had to be replaced. That is not a pleasant experience, especially in the summer. We look forward to your next stay, which is sure to be a 'cool' one.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64? Share your experiences!