“More good than bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64 to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   411 West Spring Street, New Albany, IN 47150 (Formerly Best Western Louisville West)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“More good than bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed one night traveling through the area. We were met be a clerk at the desk who couldn't have been more helpful. My impression then was that if the hotel is half as good as the clerk, this is a 5 star deal. The room was fine and clean. Good and clean bed, pillows, bathroom, shower and TV. Curtains and furnishings were fine. Typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast which was fine, served in a clean efficient atmosphere. No noise, but we were there on a Sunday night. Only negative was the carpets in the hallways, stained and musty. But for that, 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. Your comments have been shared with our team. Your recognition keeps them motivated to continue providing the guest service you so deserve! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The service at this hotel is excellent upbeat and attentive. The beds are new and good. The breakfast is typical express choices- we stay at Express often. The carpet in the hallways and rooms was badly stained and splitting at the seams. The elevators were a bit scary although we did not get stuck. The property looks like a former Holiday Inn. The indoor pool is the indicator although we could not get close to it for all of the teenagers flooding the area all night. The price was way way too high for what we got.
I actually chose this over the Holiday Inn down the road because it was an Express and would be newer cleaner and up to date. What I got was a more expensive $40 more than any of the other Holiday Inn products in the area, old Holiday Inn over run by easily 200 teenagers participating in some choral experience nearby.
That meant that we could not use the pool- they actually said we should avoid it because of all of the kids, also meant breakfast was non existent. We came to breakfast around 7 and the room was over run with kids just hanging out- I know that is not really the hotels problem but OTOH yes it is. I paid 150 for bad night and morning. I traveled from Norfolk Va and in choosing the hotel as we approached Louisville decided it would be worth the difference to have a nice clean new place beyond the city in a small suburb north of the big city where we could relax in the pool and hot tub, get a good nights sleep grab our breakfast and head on to Chicago.
I felt sorry for the man trying to oversee the breakfast room. The garbage cans were overflowing. All the tables full even though the room was large and the food was gone. The famous rolls- the machine had been turned off. He could not keep food in the serving trays. But as I said they chose to have these huge groups then they should have been ready to accommodate them - open the conference room which was not being used as other hotels do. Up the staff for this and be prepared for the groups as well as the unsuspecting weary travelers. I wish I had chosen any other hotel in the area and they were all less than this one- go figure.
I use Express often when we are on the road because they are supposed to follow some specific standards which include being new, having new bedding and being maintained in good to excellent condition regardless of age. I never worry about an experience like this. After I check in I like to unwind in the pool a bit and there are often children there but nothing like this and In the morning I like a cup of coffee a piece of fruit maybe some yogurt or a bisquit but standing in along line for coffee in a crowded messy room with no fruit yogurt etc. I am still trying to figure out the expense of the hotel- certainly not the ambience.
BTW watch out for all of the one way streets in this little town. All the streets seem to be one way around the hotel making it awkward to get in and out. This is just something to know about the area. We ended up going the wrong way while trying to get back into the back parking lot and when we came out the next day, waited while someone else tried to get off of one way going the wrong way onto another one way still going the wrong way. I think the signs are not very prominent and the on off ramps are also awkward.
Wish I had read the other reviews here but I was on the road and trusting the product. If you consider staying here, take the time to call and ask how many large groups will be there and if they have replaced the carpet yet. BTW I did not notice renovation in progress but I may have missed it. The hard part is that the staff is working hard to compensate for the issues of the hotel but it is a business. Drop the price, explain you are in renovation, explain that you cater to large groups because the hotel is big. Learn to make consideration for the other travelers unless you do not want their business. Abd if so let that be known too.

Room Tip: If you are going to be in and out there is an elevator at the back of the hotel which is handy but a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW and thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your business and your feedback.
First and foremost, we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. We appreciate ALL guests' business and want each and every person visiting us to feel welcomed and enjoy every aspect of their stay.
Secondly, we would like to assure you that what you experienced is not the norm at our facility. You happened to be in the Louisville area during a time of a very large convention. The youth groups we had in the hotel were at all surrounding hotels this week. All measures were taken to provide meeting space for these groups to use while visiting. But there are times when all guests in the hotel will occupy the same space such as in the mornings when the groups are leaving for the day.
We are happy to offer our complimentary hot breakfast, but at times, some guests do go a little overboard and take much more than they can eat. We try our best to keep up with the demand, while also remaining respectfull. We dont like to hear that anyone missed out on any of the amenities we offer.
Our staff received several compliments on how well we accommodated everyone during this extremely busy week. There is always room for improvement, and we have made notes on how we can do better! We apologize that we fell short of providing you the experience you deserve. We would hope that you change your mind and give us another chance when in the area again.
Marshall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Recently stayed here on business a total of 9 room nights, and between the 3 of us its doubtful if we ever stay here again! If hotel management wants to verify we were here, the reservation was under the name J. MacMullin, on a CLC card.

There was a group of kids here at same time we were, totally unsupervised.....they thought that they ran this hotel, and could not care less that other guests were here....apparently their chaperones did not care either.....and it was obvious hotel staff didn't care either, because repeated calls/complaints to front desk fell on deaf ears.

Recommendations have already been made to our corporate travel department to not book this hotel again.....if you are coming here, think twice, or bring earplugs with you! There is a Subway off the lobby I recommend, but thats the only thing about this property worth talking about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mr Macmillin,

Thank you for your recent stay, and review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. However, we were disappointed, and surprised that you were so unhappy with your visit. We are aware that during your stay, we also had a youth convention in house. At times of their arriving and departing the hotel, it may be a little more challenging to manuever around the property. We understand the frustration this may cause.
We discuss all reviews with our staff and management so that we can better seve our guests. During the discussion of your review, our General Manager mentioned that he had spoken to you on several occasions and that you did not mention any problems, but in fact complimented him on his service. We encourage you to inform us of any inconveniences you may occur while staying with us. We appreciate the opportunity to correct any issues as they arise. We apologize that you feel we were not accommodating to your needs. But please know that we do value your business and welcome you back when in the area again.
Estes Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a tough review to write. The staff was so great I hate to say anything bad about the property, but it was not so great.

Check-in was a breeze, friendly and efficient staff. Housekeeping staff does a good job considering the condition of the rooms. The manager was welcoming, stopping by to chat in the community room. Wednesday evening brought a reception with drinks and a nice pasta selection from a local restaurant.

We appreciated the 'clean remote' - - first time I've seen one of those. Fantastic water pressure in the shower.

However . . . the property itself is in dire need of attention. The carpet was stained and dingy; the armchair just plain nasty looking. The sheer curtains were frayed and there were holes in the privacy curtain.

Lots of younger construction crews and their 'friends' staying here and it got a little noisy at night. Two nights in a row we had drunk-dialers calling our room in the very wee hours of the morning.

All things considered, I'm afraid I probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your staying with us and reviewing our property. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations in delivering the product that you deserve. As you mentioned, our carpets were in need of cleaning during your visit. This is something we do regularly at the property. Unfortunately, we were not able to get to them all in a timely manner during this rotation. Thank you for bringing to our attention the window coverings that needed replacing. We are in the process of correcting this problem.
We were pleased to see that you commented on our staff. We are very fortunate to have genuinely friendly, helpful, and passionate group of people on our team! Please know that we are not finished with the updates to our hotel. We are thrilled with what we have done so far and are excited for what is to come. We would love for you to give us a call the next time you are in town so that you can see the improvements we have made!
Port Aransas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I read several of the review about this hotel. We stayed here 18 years ago, it was older then. This visit was a pleasant surprise. Although there is no lounge now, like there was before, the breakfast area is very nice. Breakfast was a large variety. The eggs were a bit odd, either scrambled one day or "omelet" the next. Avoid both if you can find other things you like. My dad loved the pancake maker! My adult children enjoyed the yogurts and bagels w/peanut butter. There were several choices of hot drinks and cold.
The pool is very nice. Large. The exersize room was well supplied.
Our room had a marvelous bed. So comfortable. The linens were clean and fresh. The pillows new. The bathroom was very spacious. The towels were huge, and just coarse enough to dry well. The black-out curtain was due to be replaced according to the staff, but it worked fine for us. The carpet was a bit stained, but we weren't lying on the carpet! It is due to be replaced as well. Our children had a double room across the hall. It was nice to be able to put the security lock across the door to allow us to walk back and forth. The manager even checked to make sure we were ok because we did this. I thanked him for being aware of what was happening.
We could hear some noise from the hall when a large group came in or left, but normally the place was quiet.
My mother and I loved the lotions/shampoo/conditioner. They had a great scent.
The remodel is proceeding you see signs of it everywhere but it does not affect your visit. We only had a problem with both elevators. Both had someone working on each daily. We never got stuck, but I did talk to a maid that was caught in the back elevator twice in one day.
The business center was a nice addition. I printed our return airline tickets in the middle of the night, at no charge.
All of the front desk people were courteous, friendly and very helpful. The housekeeping staff and the maintenance staff were very nice.
This hotel is on it's way up!

Room Tip: A/C units have new controls on the wall, not on the "in window" unit. They keep the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property! We appreciate your choosing our Holiday Inn Express and letting others know about your experience with us. We love to hear about our guests enjoying the clean rooms, extra large pool, spacious fitness center, and complimentary hot breakfast. Most of all, we love to hear that our guests were warmly welcomed, acknowledged during their stay, and left feeling like family! We look forward to seeing you again... Dont stay away so long next time!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

If you have to stay in this town & this is your only option, either sleep in your car, or local park 'cause this is an EXPENSIVE dump. Smells musty, dirty room, old facility. Pass if at all possible. :-(

• Stayed July 2012
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate all feed back, good or bad. However, we were saddened to see that you hold such a poor opinion of us. Although our property is older, we have recently renovated the lobby and the breakfast area to give it a much more modern look as one would see at any of the new Holiday Inn Expresses. Our team takes pride in our hotel and we strive to provide comfortable, clean rooms and a fresh, hot breakfast to all of our guests. We maintain our fitness center and extra large indoor heated pool to ensure the enjoyment of our guests who wish to workout or relax. It is obvious that we did not provide you with the experience you desired. We apologize for falling short of your expectations.
Thank you, again for the honest review.
Indy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

On the spur of the moment our plans changed and we had to find a hotel to stay at in the area. Many hotels along I-65 in the area had terrible reviews so we went over towards I-64. First we stopped at the Hampton Inn just across the corner from Holiday Inn. It was 7 p.m. and no cars around, the man at the desk would not come down on the price AND it was 95 degrees and the pool was not open! We went over to the FRIENDLY Holiday Inn Express and Tess gave us a GREAT price and a discount for after 6 p.m. checkin. I would highly recommend this nice Holiday Inn with a great breakfast included in low price!!!

Room Tip: If you get off at this exit definitly just go to Holiday Inn Express. Hampton Inn will not deal eve...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for such a kind review! We truly appreciate your comments and will share them with our team. We love to hear how our employees can take a bad situation such as a hot, miserable day and turn it into a positive one with their genuine caring attitudes! I am sure sure our extra large pool and complimentary hot breakfast just helped top it off! Thank you for mentioning what a great value we are! We hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64? Share your experiences!