“Perfect for all palates” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Winery
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the restored historic Baer Building, River City Winery features award winning wines paired with a menu that includes soups, salads, gourmet pizzas, appetizers, entrees and locally made deserts. The wine production area is located onsite below the tasting room and restaurant. Our 2011 Vignoles was named Wine of the Year at the 2012 Indy International Wine Competition. A first ever for a midwest winery!
Louisville, Kentucky
“Perfect for all palates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is now one of my FAVORITE restaurants and I am totally willing to drive this far to get it again in the future! I went with my hubs and another couple. Me and my girlfriend did the wine tasting at the bar while the boys talked at the table. We had so much fun and you get to take the price of the wine tasting off of the price of a bottle if you decide to buy one. Like duh! Who wouldn't buy one?! They have a wine for every taste. The wait staff was gracious and amazing getting us in and seated at a four top on an extremely busy night of Holiday Parties. We ordered the blue cheese and pear pizza as well as the margharita pizza. Both were delicious. We also had the humus trio platter and the basil pesto focaccia. Both were superb. I will be ordering the crab cakes and goat cheese appetizers the next time and I will make the hubs get the lasagna. I saw another diner who had the lasagna and it looked delicious. Hubs probably would have ordered this had he not eaten a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies right before we left the house for dinner. (Hubs is like a 3 year old when it comes to cookies which is why they are only made at holiday times! I am surprised I didn't find him hiding in the corner Cookie Monster style!) Anyway, everything on this menu looks delicious and the wine is delicious and I can not wait to return!

Visited December 2012

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great crab cakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Valla Ann over at the Admiral Bicknell told us about the crab cakes here, so we went to check it out. They were awesome!!! They have hardly any filler, not like most crab cakes. Kind of wonder how they hold together, but who cares, they are great. There are three, and they are served atop a medley of black-eyed peas, corn, and red bell pepper, also a creamy drizzle of sauce, sort of like a remoulade. My husband and I split this appetizer for an early dinner, and it was plenty.

Also, did the wine tasting -- $5 for 7 tastes. Was impressed with most of the wines we sampled (most are award winners), ended up taking a few bottles home -- 1 white, 1 red.

We were there at an off time -- around 3 p.m. in the afternoon, there were other patrons, but not crowded, so we didn't have the noise issue some of the other reviewers mentioned.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Florence, Kentucky
“it was alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I did enjoy the wine I must admit but it wasn't what I expected out of a winery. I guess I wanted the small little cellar room where the server stayed with me to answer questions during sample. Our server was extremely nice but was serving food in the restaurant too so basically all he did was poor our wine. the wine was good, kind of expensive just to taste, but we bought a couple bottles so they waived that.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Ok and a little loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Food was fine, but the acoustics made it loud when it was busy. Service was at best ok. They make there own wine in the cellar, but the red is made from Napa concentrate. But maybe one shouldn't expect great Indiana wine. Buy a brand wine.

Visited August 2012
Gary H, Winemaker at River City Winery, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
I do apologize for the noise. With all original restored hardwood floors, brick, plaster and tin ceilings the acoustics can be a problem during live acoustical music and rush times. As for our wine quality, our 2011 Vignoles just beat out 2400 wines from 41 states and 14 countries as it was named the Wine of the Year at the 2012 Indy international Wine Competition. That's a first for a midwest winery! As the winemaker, I am a little confused about your Napa Concentrate statement. I'm not really sure what that is. We certainly do not use such a thing at our facility. You can go to our facebook page and see the pictures of our vinifera grapes arriving in pumpkin bins from California. Our dry reds also include locally grown French-American hybrids like Chancellor, Chambourcin and Foch. You are probably not familiar with these grapes if you haven't been buying wines made from locally grown grapes. Next time feel free to ask for the winemaker if you don't understand what you are tasting. i would be more than happy to explain it in detail.
Estes Park, Colorado
“Surprisingly good wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

As others have written here, we expected fruity, lite ho-hum local wines and were completely pleasantly surprised. My husband and I enjoyed a great oakey chardonnay and a nice bold cabernet with our dinners. The proscuitto-wrapped scallops were huge and perfectly cooked.

We would go back if we find ourselves in this area again.

Visited July 2012