“Little slice of Americana” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Covington, Kentucky
“Little slice of Americana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We made the extra drive to Story, Indiana and it and it was worth it. Reminds me of a favorite little town of ours in Kentucky called Rabbit Hash. The town literally is just the inn and a few outpost buildings, but it gives a sense of simplier times. The other thing that makes this place special is the people. We noticed the owner was still busing tables, the staff friendly and attentive, and the vibe of the place just felt good. We went for lunch, and it was very good and well prepared. Bit pricey for some of the items, but I didn't fuss reasoning I was paying a bit extra for the atmosphere. You can't replicate this type of experience in your typical chain restaurants

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

St. Louis
“Worth the Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

It's a bit of a drive - but quite scenic - to get to the Story Inn from Nashville. We drove out for lunch and were not disappointed. The selection of soups, salads, sandwiches was excellent and we all enjoyed our lunch. But what really made it worth the drive was the wonderful pot de creme for dessert. Don't miss it - it's as good as any in France.

Oklahoma
“Wonderful dinning experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

The Story Inn dinning was a great experiance the dinner and wine selections were top shelf.... Much of what is served is fresh and localy grown, We were pleased at the quality and the culinary experiance is worth the drive.
Do not miss the breakfast it is wonderful... loved the bannana black walnut topped pancakes....

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“Unfortunate experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Stayed at the Inn in October. We booked the Mill Suite which is above a dining area used for special occasions. At the time of booking, I was told the upstairs room was only rented if the dining room is not booked or if the party renting the upstairs was part of the group renting the dining area.
Long story short. The was a political rally downstairs from 7-9:00 PM, with music, speeches, and lots of talking. The conversions continued outside of our window until 12:00.
This was not a good experience at all.
Restaurant and wait staff both cordial and food good.
Staff at desk rude. Would not recommend this Inn.

ohio
“Great place for "Foodies"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

While staying at the AWESOME Salt Creek Golf Resort in nearby Nashville, Indiana my husband and I took a long, winding drive to the old-timey, quaint and picturesque village of Story, IN. We were specifically seeking The Story Inn, having heard about its ranking as one of the top restaurants in the state.

The drive to Story is like literally driving back in time -- a LOOONG way back! We passed what looked like original log cabins along the way, as well as a bevy of old ranshakle houses and trailers mixed in with beautiful new homes which had floor-to-roof windows. The natural scenery in Brown County is so unspoiled & beautiful too! It was a very scenic and interesting drive. One note of interest - the road is very curvy and hilly. We found it helpful that our first trip there was during the daytime. Also, this is definitely somewhere you should have a designated driver - to and from - if anyone is consuming alcohol.

We found Story Inn quaint in a primitive and rustic kind of way. I would have loved to have been able to ramble over the interior looking at all the antiques. The place was very old but clean -- even the bathrooms, which are unisex, were clean!

The wait staff was courteous but certainly couldn't be described as friendly. The did eventually warm up a bit by the end of the meal. We went on a Tuesday evening around 7pm and were only one of 3 tables with customers. Anyone wanting to avoid the crowds should go during the week.

The menu was small but rather interesting. They have Bison, Pork, Beef, Chicken, Seafood & vegetarian entrees. We started with the Artichoke Dip, which was more like artichoke hearts with a sprinkling of cheese & herbs...very tasty, hearty & filling. The hot, fresh bread was very good, as was the herbed butter that accompanied it. Both the artichoke dip & butter contained dill, and both dishes were improved by that herb.

Both my husband and I ordered the beef fillet, which was perfectly prepared to our specifications. The steak was delicious, topped with tomatoes and basil, tender, with a clean flavor. It was not overly spiced but very flavorful. The sides were tasty - mashed potatoes and broiled veggies, including a few asparagus spears. Everything was VERY good! We received a lot of food, but the prices are still a bit steep (especially for the area).

I had two glasses of wine with my meal, both of which were OK. The Pinot Noir was much better than the Cabernet. My one disappointment was the limited number of "by the glass" offerings. The wine list itself is rather substantial but since my husband doesn't drink wine I have to stay with the lower quantity options, so I didn't get an opportunity to endulge my adventurous side in this area.

All in all we had a good night out...nice drive, great scenery, quaint, peaceful surroundings, eating good food in a historic place full of character, and enjoying each other's company in the solitude. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good food, wine and ambience. Service was efficient and courteous, but not "friendly".