“By far, one of the best experiences we have had as a mother/daughter trip.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rawhide Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rawhide Ranch
You added Rawhide Ranch to your Saves list
1292 State Road 135 South, Nashville, IN 47448   |
Toledo, Ohio
“By far, one of the best experiences we have had as a mother/daughter trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here in the fall for 4 days/3 nights. She has such a love for horses and we both love the outdoors. We stayed in the Doc Holiday room and it was awesome. It is a ranch and rustic, so you have to consider if that is your thing. For us, it was paradise. The room was so quaint, clean and comfy. Maybe it was running all over the place during the day, but the bed felt wonderful to us and we both slept like logs. There were flies in the room, but that was mostly from having the french doors open so much. We loved that feature! We would sit outside and watch the stars or the sun come up in the morning as the horses grazed in the fields. The flies tended to stay on the ceiling. In the day, we would swat what we could. It is a ranch.

My daughter was in heaven helping Gil tend to the horses and I was in my glory tending to the fire. It felt wonderful in the Oct. weather. The campfire was just so peaceful and relaxing to sit around and read or have a glass of wine. Others would join now and then, so you had company if you wanted it.

We didn't eat meals there as we went into town or had food we brought. The refrigerator and microwave were very handy for that. A lot of people did eat there and it smelled wonderful. We kept a cooler in our room for drinks and snacks.

Gil was the most delightful part of the visit, after the horses. I am sure he would agree. Just kidding. He is such an amazing man and was the best guide for horseback riding you could hope to get. We rode about four times and each ride was more and more fun. The last morning it was just Gil and us and it was magical riding the hills of Brown County and enjoying the warm fall air. It was a time my daughter and I will never forget. For me, this was on my bucket list and was such a delight to be able to do.

My daughter kept disappearing from sight and I would always just check where the horses were, and there she would be. It is nice as she as an adult could do her thing and I could do mine as well as doing things together. She was able to get her running in in the morning and I could sit on the deck and watch her and read. So fun. One time she did disappear and when I went looking for her, I found her coming back from the office. She had booked us an entire week next year. She didn't want to take a chance on missing out. Now, just hoping Gil is still there and working with the horses to make our visit complete.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Kittysfriend,
Wow, another great review and 5 stars...or dots. It sounds like the two of you truly enjoyed your trip to the ranch. Thank you for coming to the ranch and we look forward to having the two of you for a full week next year. We couldn't agree more that Gill is great and we hope to have him around the ranch for years to come.

Thanks,

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family consists of Mom and Dad in our mid thirties with 2 daughters, 10 yrs and 12 yrs old. We saw some great December weather coming so we included our first Rawhide visit into our Holiday plans. We made reservations at 11am for the Holler Hoppin' Ziplines, then lunch onsite, then 2pm reservations for horseback riding. The weather folks were right and we got our 48 degrees with plenty of sun. This may have helped, but the crew at Rawhide did their part as well.

The ziplining was extremely safe and fun for all. We were paired with another family who also turned out to be good company. The two gentlemen that guided us were very efficient and friendly. The price of admission included 6 jumps which got progressively more exciting as you went along. This was nice so the wife and kids could warm up to the process.

Lunch was prepared and ready for us promptly at noon. We had paid in advance for "Burgers". The price was more than we would pay to eat at Texas Roadhouse so I was curious what we were getting into. While it was a bit overpriced, we weren't overly disappointed when we realized we had the restaurant to ourselves. They had prepared excellent broccoli and cheese soup that was waiting for us along with chips and lemonade. The burgers were above average and they even had a soybean burger that my wife said was ok. The chef /waiter was running the show and he was very pleasant. I enjoyed his conversation and he wrapped up our meal by brewing us fresh coffee to enjoy while waiting for our Horseback appt.

We simply walked around the barn to our apt and were assigned our horses and walked through a quick lesson. My girls were beaming before, during, and after our hike. They absolutely loves the entire process. The hilly terrain and dense woods allowed for an entertaining trail ride. Our horses were well trained and responded well to our commands. If we could only choose one activity, we would do the Horseback riding again! After riding, we took some pictures with at least a dozen horses and were allowed to pet them as long as we wanted.

Our room was a wonderful bargain. I will come back and stay even if weather doesn't allow the activities. The kids enjoyed the bunk beds and it was clean considering it's a barn resort! By hotel standards it was average. All we were expecting was a bed but the furniture was nice and the common area just outside our room included fridges, fireplaces, and plenty of room to stretch our legs and relax. They even had bored games available to borrow. Our room included our own bathroom which had plenty of hot water. They do not have TV's or wireless internet in the rooms which actually forced us to spend time together!

During the evening hours they offer a very nice outdoor fire pit / bonfire with plenty of seating. There are fishing ponds available but they were still frozen so we didn't try them out this weekend.

Overall, we really had a nice time. The entire family wants to go back. They treated us like friends staying with them for the weekend. We have posted lots of pictures on social media and shared our adventure with friends and family. I think this place will continue to grow in popularity year after year!

I understand this is a review for Rawhide but it's worth mentioning that its in the middle of nowhere yet only a couple miles to a winery, a CVS, and downtown Nashville shops. The property itself is literally connected to Brown County State Park!

Room Tip: Check the website and try to get a room with balcony access. Some only have one entrance from the co...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kiddalot,
I couldn't agree with you more. The weather that weekend was amazing. I wish we had that weather all winter long. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review about the ranch. Again, I can't stress how much we appreciate customers who take the time out of their busy lives to leave a review or share the ranch on facebook.
"They treated us like family" is one of your comments, that is exactly what the ranch staff attempts to do and it would seem we achieved our goal. Thank you for posting your pics on facebook and we hope to continue to grow year after year but not lose that family feeling.
Don't stay a stranger, hope to see you soon.

Thanks
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband surprised me with a weekend at the Buck Inn (the rooms above the big barn), for our anniversary. Our room (the "Doc Holliday") was spacious and charming, with a view of the Brown County hills and grazing horses, below us. The vast, common deck onto which all the rooms open offered hickory rockers and an even more breath-taking view. In the spirit of the best Nashville-area B&Bs, there were no TVs, phones or clocks to be seen...just as we like it! (In case of a babysitting emergency, our cell phones did have service.)

A large common area houses two cabinets full of games and puzzles; and Western-ranch-house-style furniture: big, comfy leather seating and chunky tables, for playing and hanging out. A full-size fridge, microwave and simple dining area let you store and prepare your own snacks. Evidently, the Buck Inn is well-insulated/sound-proofed, because it turned out there were two families with children staying with us, yet it was so quiet in our room that we thought we were alone, the first night!

We woke to the welcome smell of breakfast cooking below us, in the Banded Rooster. We followed our noses and enjoyed chatting with the other guests and our trail guide (complete with chaps and cowboy hat), over bacon and coffee at the long, family-style table. Make sure to have at least one meal there! It's fun and a key part of the whole experience.

As I understand it, the Banded Rooster is a separate enterprise from the Inn. So, meals do not "come with" the room. I can't speak for any meals besides breakfast, but it was average. No *complaints*, mind you! It was simply the standard fare at any hotel offering a hot breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast sausage links, biscuits and pancakes - none of them bad, but none exceptionally mouth-watering. In an area replete with mom-and-pop restaurants (if you don't mind a drive), it's worth sampling some other fare, as well.

We took an hour-long trail ride in the morning and again in the afternoon. The horses were well-behaved and I'm sure are safe with children. Given my grave fear of heights, my husband didn't book us for the zip lines, but saw them on our ride and I may actually try them, when we come back with the kids! What Rawhide offers is "canyon hopping" - a series of short zip lines that cross ravines, but you start and land on the ground. It's far less intimidating than zip line set-ups where you must climb to a high platform, to begin. Rawhide also has a fishing pond (they rent poles, if you don't bring your own), a basketball court, swing set, a nice fire pit area equipped for hot dogs and s'mores, and a small corral where little ones can enjoy *horse* (not pony) rides.

There's really plenty to do at the ranch itself, but between rides we drove into adorable Nashville for wine-tasting, lunch, window-shopping and just good, old-fashioned walking, talking and holding hands. The second evening, we drove to Bloomington to enjoy some live music and its excellent ethnic restaurants, of seemingly every variety.

It was a delightful, relaxing weekend and we're eager to carve out some time to bring our kids and enjoy even more of what Rawhide Ranch has to offer. Our only dilemma: will we stay in the Buck Inn again; the 3-bedroom cabin...or try the teepees?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Wow,
Thank you Jeannine for writing such a lengthy and descriptive review. I am having trouble replying since you covered everything. I do want you to know that I took note of your comments about breakfast. The ranch cooks are looking into ways to make our breakfast stand apart from your "standard fare". I hope you guys do return with the kids this spring break.

Yes it is a tough choice, Buck Inn, Ranch House or Tipis.

Louisville, KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rawhide Ranch for a one-night getaway. I liked the concept and was very excited to check it out. We checked in late but received prompt service from Derek. At the end of the check-in process, we were warned that doors must have been left open during a prior event, and the entire place was buzzing with flies, especially the bathrooms. We were told that there were some fly strips in the common area that we could take to our room. I wasn't sure what to say to that, so we headed off expecting to make the most of it.

We still needed to grab dinner and were advised to drop our bags to head out before everything closed. We noticed the numerous flies as we dropped off our bags, but did not spend time on the issue. After we returned from dinner, we realized how bad it was. I would estimate 30 flies in the bedroom and 20+ in the bathroom. We could not find any fly strips, but there was a swatter left in the room for us. We tried to ignore the flies and make the most of it, but after an initial calm period when we entered the room, they started to get busier and a little more aggressive, buzzing by and landing on the bed sheets, and occasionally on us. It was fairly intolerable.

After offering to drive my wife home (she declined), I spent the next 45 minutes swatting flies. I was able to reduce the population to a tolerable level, but only after substantial effort. We had no misconceptions about the fact that this was a ranch and was not a 5-star hotel. However, the fly situation was not what we nor anyone else signed up for. If I was camping in a tent, I would only have to deal with an occasional invader. Even camping outside without a tent, I wouldn't have had anywhere near the nuisance. The fact that we were warned and that measures were taken (though woefully insufficient) indicate that this situation was abnormal and not a routine "it's a ranch" issue.

I was still determined to shrug it off mostly to "stuff happens", but the more I thought about it (and the more of my time was wasted swatting flies rather than enjoying my wife's company), the more I realized that the real issue was the management response. Why weren't the fly strips already in the room rather than waiting for me to track them down and hang them? Why didn't someone spend a few minutes swatting the flies like I did? It would have been much more efficient work with a step stool and without my wife lying in the bed. If nothing was going to be done, why not a friendly heads-up before we arrived so we could make an educated decision before driving 90 minutes? Why not even an offer for a discounted stay (or return visit) or a free breakfast? I don't know if all the other rooms had the same degree of infestation that we had, or if the problem was underestimated because it takes a while after entering the room for the flies to get fully active, or what, but the situation should not have been tolerated by the management, and it would be unfair of me to not point this out to readers.

Aside from the flies....

We did opt for the $9 breakfasts. The food was OK, no better, no worse. We ate very hurriedly because it was a constant effort to defend against the flies in the dining room as well. I wished we would have just found somewhere in town to eat.

The mattress was among the most uncomfortable I have slept in. My wife and I met in the middle because the mattress sagged so badly.

The campfire setup looked nice from a distance, but we did not check it out due to our late arrival and the need to get food.

The heater in the room were a nice touch and worked well.

We had no issues with smells inside the room. Outside, it smelled a little like a barn of course, but it was refreshing and part of why we chose the Rawhide.

As others may have noted, the rooms are a lot of hard wood, so noise echoing could be a bit of an issue on crowded nights, especially with lots of kids around, but it was mostly quiet enough the night we stayed.

I think this palace has potential, and I'd like to chalk this up to one bad circumstance compounded by a poor management response (or knack thereof), but I unfortunately am not willing to come back and give it another try. That said, I can see why others would opt to give it a try nonetheless. I should also note that the rate was quite good and it would have been a decent value without the fly issue, although the poor (broken?) mattress in the Doc Holiday room is way below standards regardless of price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
pick6king,

We failed you and that is as simple as I can put it. I was unaware of how bad the fly problem was in the rooms and that is an error. If I was informed, I would have had employees in the rooms with flyswatters taking care of the problem before you checked in but that did not happen.
I do not know if you talked to anyone upon checking out about your bad experience. If you did not, I wish you would have so that I could have apologized in person and attempted to make it up to you in some fashion. It is not our goal to give someone a bad experience but the exact opposite. If you had made a comment, then that is part of the communication problem we have already corrected.
The bed in Doc Holiday. I have not had any other customers comment on this until now. We will look into it and if it is found to be a problem, it will be corrected.
Please give me a call so that we could discuss this in person. I can be reached at the ranch - 812-988-0085.

Franklin, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We took our three grandaughters down for horseback riding and to zip line. Had a great time...the zip guides were wonderful. Thanks Mollie and Kelci, the girls have not stopped taling about ziplining. Everyone wants to go back fot their night time Zip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DLTLT,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We happen to agree that Holler Hoppin' Zip Lines is just plain old fun. The night zipping is an entirely different experience and only $30 for a trip through 4 zips. It is one heck of a deal. If you have not already, come back this spring and try the night zips.

Once again, thank you for writing us a review.

Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I took my Girl Scout Troop for a two night adventure at Rawhide Ranch back in May 2013. I saw a review from another Girl Scout leader that said her experience was poor because they arrived late and the office was closed. Our normal 90 minute drive from Carmel took 3 hours due to weather and traffic issues. Needless to say we were late. I called the office from the road to warn them we were coming late. Derek met us at the office when we got there. He explained everything we needed to know regarding the teepees, bathrooms and water. Our only problem was a down-pour of rain. My co-leader and I didn't master closing the top of the teepee before the rain, but Derek came out after the storm to make sure everyone was o.k. The inside and outside fire pits were soaked, so cooking was out of the question. We just packed up the girls and headed into nearby Nashville for dinner.
The girls and adults all had so much fun with the ranch hands, the horse riding and zip lines. The ranch hands let the girls help bring the horses down to be brushed and saddled. The girls loved helping out and the coffee in the restaurant was greatly appreciated by this leader! After riding on the trails, Derek took an hour to give the girls a lesson in horse grooming and care.
Because the teepee floors are sand, we took a few large tarps and laid them out over the sand before the sleeping bags went down. This worked well for keeping the sleeping bags clean and we just pulled the tarps over the sleeping bags when it started to rain. Even though we didn't get the top closed, most of the inside of the teepee stayed dry...water coming in was due to lack of skill on our part, not that the teepee couldn't be closed completely. Our neighbors got theirs closed and had a fire inside that night. We all stayed nice and warm anyway.
One of my girls was too afraid to do the zip lines. The staff treated her so nicely. Even though she didn't zip, they still had her climbing the hills and logs with the photographer. They made sure she had a good time and didn't make her feel bad about not overcoming her anxiety.
I'd like to bring my family back next summer, so my other daughter and husband can enjoy it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Cheryl C,
Thanks for taking the time to write a lengthy review. We all know how busy our lives are and taking that time out of your day to write this review is greatly appreciated. I love the tipis. It does take a little practice to figure out the flaps but you eventually get the hang of it. I love it when people are resourceful and take the initiative. Congrats on using your tarps not only as ground cover but as a rain deterrent while in the tipi.
We know that taking care of the kids is our priority but helping the parents/leaders out with a little morning coffee is the least we could do.
The entire ranch staff is here to help the guest have a memorable experience. We know we have a good crew here and appreciate the feedback.
I do hope you return next year with your husband and your daughter.

fort wayne indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

When i first pulled up, i was a little worried. It looked like an old farm with not much to offer, but after pulling around to the barn, we were excited. Horses, goats, dogs, cats ... my girls were excited. The renovated barn has sleeping quarters upstairs and our room was comfortable and very clean.
Breakfast was amazing. So yummy. The staff is incredible friendly and accommodating. Oldest daughter went on a trail ride and her guide Gil was the sweetest man. He got a pony out for our 3 year old so she could ride in the corral. We will definitely go back, soon!!

• Stayed October 2013
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Mommyof2kr,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The ranch does have great folks in our family and try their best to make the guests feel as welcome as they can. Gil is a great wrangler and loves people which doesn't take long to figure it out. The new breakfast on the ranch is amazing, especially the biscuits and gravy. I hope that you guys come back soon.

I would be interested to know what made you worried when you first pulled up. Why felt like it was an old farm. Please shoot an email to our general ranch account, info@rawhideranchusa.com or feel free to give the ranch a call - 812-988-0085. Please ask for me.

Rawhide Ranch USA

Been to Rawhide Ranch? Share your experiences!