“Great riding with Kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rawhide Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rawhide Ranch
You added Rawhide Ranch to your Saves list
1292 State Road 135 South, Nashville, IN 47448   |
Indy
“Great riding with Kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Took my daughter's Girl Scout Troop (Juniors) to go riding in the late summer, and we had a great time. Most of the girls had never been riding, and were being typical city girls, being unfamiliar with horses, barns and country living in general. They had a wonderful time, though, the staff was great with them, the horses are gentle and well-trained, and the price was reasonable. I want to go back and do an advanced ride without screaming girls, but will be happy to take them back sometime, too! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I'm going to admit I picked the Ranch because of the price. I went during the winter and they had a great Friday/Saturday special. But once I got there I was more than happy I was thrilled. it was spacious and had great view on both sides. The ranch hands were extremely friendly and helpful in the "real person" sort of way, not the "glib hotel clerk" way.
One of the best parts was the open commons area. It made you feel connected with the others staying in the hotel. If you didn't want that interaction, you could allways retreat to the privacy of your room.
I stayed in the Doc Holiday room, and highly recommend that as a choice for any couples who want to relax and enjoy some quality time together. Do the whole, wake up to the sunrise experience,
There is a kitchenette, so bringing some food to keep down the cost of eating out was very nice. I usually take a cooler with me for this reason.
All in all the ranch was my favorite part of my trip to brown county. I'm glad its only two hours away so I can plan another weekend getaway without too much travel hassle.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep in late choose rooms on the west side, because the east side get a nice amount...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

The guys that run the place treated us great, and joked with the kids the whole time. Where else can you sleep in a barn and wake up and ride horses, all in one place? I wish that there were places like this along every trip we take. We used it as a hotel for one night, but planned a little extra time for enjoying the surroundings a bit.

Room Tip: It was nice that they have several different rooms available.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Rawhide was great for a family reunion because it allowed a large number of people to stay together, has kitchenettes and outdoor cooking space, as well as horseback riding, and a zipline at additional costs. The staff is generally friendly, but occasionally moody, and run a ranch not a luxury resort. There is no spa, swimming pool, restaurant, or room service. And the soda machine that is there is usually "Sold Out." Be warned that most of the rooms have no televisions, and the wireless internet access has, apparently, been broken for some time. (This could be good or bad depending on your purposes.) , Moreover, while I enjoyed my stay at the ranch, the price was over $150 per night, much higher than other hotels in the area. Rawhide is worth considering for reunions, team building, and other group accomodations, but visitors there for some other purpose may be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
north vernon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

we go 4 or 5 times a year. We even have horses but go relax and ride theres. They treat you like family your kids and you will fall in love with the whole place. if you get ready to eat they will have a fire ready for hot dogs our what ever . Zip lines are a great family fun to. But dusty is the best with the horses. YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT

Room Tip: any room is great they have 2 to 6 poeple rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Rwahide Ranch for a family wedding in October 2010.
This place may be fine for a "ranch" experince, but leaves a lot to be desired as a wedding venue.
- Rooms weren't cheap - $120/night over the weekend, but they were clean
- No hangars in the rooms.
- Not an iron or ironing board on the property - tough if you brought wedding clothes in a suticase.
- Yellow jackets and flies everywhere - no attempt to control/reduce them.
- The main area in the barn where the reception was held was covered with flies - don't look too close in the corners.
- Stairs extremely steep and rickety - no way they're within code.
- No sink in the kitchens - difficult to clean up - garbage ends up in the room sinks - potential cloggin disaster there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
RanchBOss_10, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
DenTraveler,

I appreciate your comments and understand that Rawhide Ranch USA would not be your choice for a wedding venue. You are reviewing the brides choice of venue. Please keep in mind that on a wedding weekend, our primary focus is the bride. They know exactly what they are getting when they book a wedding on the ranch and realize that this is a true country wedding destination. To put it simply, if the bride is happy, we are happy. It is her wedding and her vision. If the ranch experience fits her vision, then we are golden. (Sorry Grooms, but we all know it is about the brides.)

I would like to address your comments.
- I am happy to hear that you felt the rooms were clean and presentable. $129.00 a night on a weekend in Brown County Indiana for a room that would sleep 4 to 6 people is very reasonable.

-Correct, we do not have any hangers in the rooms and most likely will not put any in the rooms since they always grow legs and walk off.

-Correct, we do not have any ironing boards on the ranch property.

-When you have a real barn wedding, it is just like an outdoor wedding except you have a roof over your head. There will be flies during fly season, yellow jackets at that time of year, lady bugs during the fall season. We have now started to try to control/reduce the yellow jackets and flies but it is tough sitting in the middle of the woods surrounded by horses.

- The main area is a barn and the brides are fully aware of the conditions. They know that it will not be a pristine environment like a holiday inn banquet hall.

- I assume the stairs that are rickety where the stairs on the rear of the barn which have been removed.

- There are no kitchens in the Buck Inn. There are dinettes with a fridge, microwave and coffee pots. It is our goal to one day put little bar sinks in the dinettes but larger projects keep jumping in the way of that progress.

Once again, I appreciate customers comments and suggestions on improving the ranch.

Derek W Clifford
Ranch Manager
Wilder, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

There is nothing that I could say negative about the Ranch. A great getaway from the rat race of a city for me and my sister. We loved the horseback riding and the zip line. Derek and the trail leader for the horseback riding go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and relaxing. We plan to return yearly if not sooner. I recommend this Ranch for anyone who wants to relax and just enjoy a vacation with no stress.

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rawhide Ranch? Share your experiences!