“Best cafeteria in the midwest” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Californian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Wentzville, Missouri
“Best cafeteria in the midwest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Indiana is where my husband and I were born and raised and Indiana was always known to have great cafeterias. We currently live in Missouri and you would have to look long and hard to even find a cafeteria here but Indianapolis area still has several. Definitely the most well known one is in Mooresville, In and is probably the best in the whole Midwest. Grays food is simply delicious. Fried chicken is the main calling card but many entrees are offered. The desserts are to die for and we always get the coconut cream or butterscotch cream pie. Again that is our favorite but there are so many desserts. Most people who are familiar with Grays either because they are originally from Indiana or have been advised to go there, never pass through the area without a stop at Grays. We usually plan our drive through the state to have us in the Mooresville area at lunchtime. Yes, of course, we will go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Huntingburg, IN
“Butterscotch Pie to Die For”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

It's a cafeteria restaurant and that is the only reason I do not give it an excellent rating. Food is solid and always good. But the butterscotch pie is to die for and my wife loves the strawberry pie. Very popular with the retired crowd because you can pick and choose what you want to eat. It's definitely worth making a stop for.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Love Gray's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I'm originally from Indiana, but now live in Florida; so when I visit Indy I always try to make a trip to Gray's! My family had lunch and had chicken livers, fried chicken, fish, & chicken fingers along with the sides and dessert of course! Everything was delicious as always!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This is feel good food because when you eat here your soul sings. I couldn't put down my fork. I wanted to hide in a corner and lick my plate. My family and I are new to Indiana but we found a place where we can eat delicious and comforting food. Can't wait to go back and eventually try the whole menu. Thanks for the great food.

Johnstown
“What a terrible disappointment!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was a cafeteria that my family and I used to frequent back when Kenny Gray was a young man and the store was back in downtown Mooresville on Indiana St. where everything served was what could genuinely be called "down home family cooking."

It had been 2 years since my last visit. My, how times have changed!!!The hot food was cold and the cold food was room temperature. The prices are overly high for the quality. I was so greatly looking forward to my slice of "homemade" strawberry pie for dessert that used to just melt in your mouth. EWW.....the strawberries and sauce were so sickeningly sweet poured into a cardboard crust that I was only able to eat that first bite.. My friend remarked that her coconut creme pie had the same type crust and she was only able to eat the first bite also, We asked the gal running for our drinks if we might speak to a person of management and she, supposedly, went to bring him/her to our table but after about 20 minutes no one came by so we left. Unless I hear of improvement, I will not, most likely be returning to a place that used bring back fond memories.

• Visited June 2014