“Excellent service from excellent staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Conningbrook Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Canterbury Road, Kennington, Ashford TN24 9QR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennington
ellesmere port
“Excellent service from excellent staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

i stayed at the conningbrook in september and received great service from check-in to check-out. I was visiting ashford for a friends birthday party and had the conningbrook recommended to me by a friend. I was checked in by a lovely reception called janine who also kindly organised my taxi for me for later that evening. I checked into my room which was clean and spacious with a large bathroom. I then ventured down into the bar which was pretty busy all the staff acknowleged me which made me feel very welcome and i was served by a very friendly bald barman who talked me through the ales he recommended the late red which was excellent!!. I did not book a table but asked if it would be possible to get a table for 1 at 6.30 and although the restaurant was busy i was fitted in the food was really good and come out pretty fast and the restaurant manager (pat) was really helpful and chatty. i arrived back from ashford and unfortunatly had left my key in the room!! Very embarrased and a little drunk i rang the door bell and was greated by the deputy manager who i think must live on site who let me in and was very helpful. I would not hesitate in staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arrived late, with my dog, given very comfortable room, and man on duty kindly offered to make me sandwiches if I wanted. Room well equipped. Quiet evening when I was there. Park for dog walking across the street. Excellent huge cooked breakfast. Very friendly staff. Very convenient for motorway on way to Chunnel. I'm planning to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tortola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting friends. We stayed in the honey moon suite which was very nice. The staff were all very friendly and helpfull, the room was clean and warm the bed comfy. The beer was great! We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The nice part about this hotel is the large and comfortable pub and the average-to-good restaurant. We spend a nice evening there and had a great time listening to the pub quiz.

Unfortunately, when we were in our room, we could still listen to the pub quiz. The rooms seem poorly insulated, the floorboards are creaking and we could almost follow the conversations of our neighbours. At least the rooms are reasonably comfortable, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The staff was friendly and helpful, dinner and breakfast were good hotel standard.

An okay place to stay on your way to Dover, but I wouldn't recommend it for any longer holidays.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were on our way to Dover and the Channel Ferry, but we did not want to stay in Dover. So we picked this place as a decent hotel to stay. The food is served in the bar, which is not my preference for eating, but as far as pub food goes, it is fine.

There was no free wifi, which usually prevents me from staying at a hotel, but my Tesco SIM card gave me internet access, so I made an exception this once.

The room was adequate and clean.

Overall, a 3.5 rating, but Tripadvisor only goes from "Average" to "Very Good". What happened to "Good"?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Conningbrook hotel in Ashford and we was made to feel welcome by Mark the manager and the rest of the staff on duty who could not do enough for you when ask.

The evening meal that we ordered arrived hot and tasty with the staff being most helpful.

The main bar is somewhere you can chill out in the evening.

What can I say about the breakfast 'well it's mega and very tasty’ and very well presented by pleasant staff. (Just the job to start you on your long drive)

Room Tip: The floorboards in room 46 are a bit squeaky with a limited view, but the room was nice and clean...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Staff at the hotel were lovely, a credit to the hotel, in particular the lady with the white shirt and deep red hair on reception, very helpful and accomadating. Pleasantly suprised at the prices for food for down south and food was freshly made and very tasty.
Rooms were nicely decorated. Few little hicups here and there but to be expected from an old building and nothing that ruined our stay.
Only thing negative was the floor boards. They creek over the whole of the hotel which keeps you awake till late and up early. even in the newer part of the building this is still the case.
Overall a very plesant stay here and if floor boards were sorted out i would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Conningbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!