“Great Breakfast and Great Mexican Food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Monticello
Cuisines: American
Monticello, Indiana
“Great Breakfast and Great Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

We have been going to Esmeralda's for several years now and have always had good service and food. The breakfasts are large and I always take home a doggie bag. The staff is very nice and friendly. After years of only eating breakfast there we stopped by for lunch last year and were pleasantly surprised at how good their Mexican food was. I am from California and also lived in Arizona where there is amazing Mexican food. So, I can be a little picky about my Mexican food. Give it a try, you will like it!

• Visited November 2014

Naperville, Illinois
“Chicago food in Indiana!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

I am from the Chicago area and own a cottage near IB, and this is the only restaurant that I look forward to eating at while in Indiana. Our neighbors (locals) tipped us off after hearing that our experiences with Mexican restaurants in their downtown area were poor. Since then, we have been eating our way through the menu, both in restaurant and take-out. So far, they have not screwed up our take-out orders, which is amazing. We order Mexican take-out at our home quite often, and no matter which restaurant we order from, something is screwed up. Not Esmeralda's! The most important thing I can say about this restaurant, speaking as an outsider, is that they either use bottled water or have an outstanding water filter because there is no sandy, full of iron well water taste to their coffee, iced tea, and fountain drinks. I can't say the same for several of the other local restaurants. They have handled all of our strange requests and custom orders with ease, again not screwing up the order. I'm really quite impressed by them in this regard. The steak and al pastor (pork) tacos rival anything good in the Chicago area, and the chicken isn't bad either. Personally, I don't like the chorizo taco. There is some weird aftertaste that I don't like. Their omelets are generous and they don't skimp on the meats. Basically anything we have ordered has been served generously. Their $7.99 taco dinner is easily $12.99 or more around here. My daughter likes the kids chicken strip meal, and she can be pretty picky about food.

The only reason why I didn't give 5 stars (or circles) is because service can be hit or miss. We try to go when they are not busy, and so far we haven't had to wait for a table. Even so, we have had to ask several times for some things, and the waitress snapped at my husband the last time we were there. Honestly, he did nothing to deserve it and I would be the first one to say, "That's what you get!!!" to him if he did. Even when they are nearly empty, there isn't always enough silverware, or napkins, or something else. Sometimes we get chips and salsa with our taco dinners, sometimes we don't. Sometimes service is efficient and friendly, sometimes not so much.

• Visited September 2014
Monticello, IN
“Go for Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

I have had great breakfasts at Esmeralda's. I have tried several of their different menu items and have always been greatly satisfied. The biggest question is what to order knowing it's all good. Even when they are super busy they continue to give great service and get your food out quickly.

Visited August 2014
Chalmers, Indiana
“Good Food - Average Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have eaten here several times. They serve breakfast all day long. The Mexican flair to their menu is appreciated. I enjoyed my Mexican flavored skirt steak on my last visit. It was a special and it was excellent. Overall I would rate the quality of the food as very good. The service is very average. So are the surroundings.

Be aware that they have odd hours. They are open for breakfast and lunches but not all nights for dinner.

• Visited July 2014
Homewood, IL
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My review is actually between average and very good. I won't rate it poor cause our food was pretty tasty and the service was great. However, right after dining what I ate caused some upset with my colon--nothing that some over the counter medicine didn't take care of, however kitchen workers need to be careful--not sure why the source regarding the food but i dont' have any food allergies. Would probably give breakfast another try here next time we go to IB.

• Visited June 2014