“WE LOVE THE VINTAGE COTTAGES AT INDIANA BEACH” 4 of 5 stars

Indiana Beach Camp Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5224 E. Indiana Beach Road, Monticello, IN 47960   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Monticello
Decatur, Indiana
“WE LOVE THE VINTAGE COTTAGES AT INDIANA BEACH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Vintage Cottages at Indiana Beach get a lot of bad raps, but my family adores them! We have gone to IB for one week every summer since 1983 and always stay in a Vintage Cottage (28 of those years in our "Home Away From Home", Cottage #1.)
We just returned yesterday after staying four nights in Cottage #1 and only wish we could have stayed longer.No, the floors don't "shine", because the linoleum is older and has seen a lot of traffic. Also, sand gets tracked in, kinda to be expected at a beach resort. The furnishings are "vintage" which is fine---it gives the place character. (One note: the mattress on my bed there is The Best!! BETTER than mine at home! LOL) The cottages were built many, many years ago you have to expect that everything isn't "shiny & new"...but "old" doesn't mean "dirty". Keep in mind that you are not LIVING there, you are at the park for a few days and will spend the majority of your time at the beach, water park, pool, on the rides, etc.
By all means, if you are the type of person who craves "deluxe" accommodations, the Vintage Cottages are probably NOT for you. But if you are someone who is happy with the 'simple things'...someone who appreciates things from the past...someone who can be content with less and "make do"when necessary...someone who maybe needs to keep costs to a minimum (we like that we can afford to stay MORE nights by being content with the more affordable Vintage Cottages)--give them a try. Architecture such as this is quickly disappearing. Appreciate these things while you can!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

stayed here 28,29, july 2013. family gathering. the air was broken in other guest cottages. and rooms were not clean. hair on bathroom floor.and this was in the so called penthouse'' more of a hog house. t.v. in second room only got one cable channel. remote broken. piss smell from around the bathroom floor.some one drove into our parking space. because there was no sign, on it. poor customer service.no room service only dump your garbage, and give you paper thin bath and wash cloths.place is out dated, and it seems they only want your money. it said updated (not).rooms are not. don't believe the hype.if you have any class you will not like this place. if you don't care if you stay in a dump. then welcome home.will not go back. would not recommend to a dog to stay here. one worker was very helpful and apologized often. tyrone redmond.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kankakee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm staying at the Ideal Beach Campground owns by Indiana beach right now 7/22/13. I have been coming here for years. The condition of the place is the worst I've ever seen it. The grass isn't mowed in the campground, the firepits are not cleaned out.

The staff here is rude and really don't care about the people coming to their resort. Bathroom are terrible dirty.

The biggest problem is the water. The water in the campground is contaminated with Coilform. It was been like this since June 2013. They don't tell you that when you make a reservation. When you get here they expect you to boil all your water. So I paid for full hookup RV site and was charged that but we can't use the water. It takes 5 times as long to do dishes when you have to boil water. Not to me to on the extra cost of LP gas. I called to talk to the front desk and was told there's nothing they can do about it it's handled in New York.

I won't be back to Indiana beach until Morgan RV sells it to someone else. They have managed to destroy a Midwest vacation spot. That campground is no better then a mobile trailer park now.

When I get home I have the added time and expense of sterilizing my RVs entire water system now because of Ideal Beach Campground not caring about the Coilform in the water.

Go to Holiday World if your thinking about going to Indiana beach.

• Stayed July 2013
Crown Point, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been going here for more than 12 years with my family. When the prices changed and got more expensive we decided to stop coming. Little did I know that over the next couple of years the place has literally been run into the ground. July 2013 my grandparents decided that they wanted to go back so off we went. Getting into the park with my car was a nightmare because I didn't have a parking pass. So I asked the women who stopped me if I could just go to the office and get a new one she told me yes and let me go through the gate anyway....Why she couldn't just let me go through anyway is BEYOND me. I did not go get a parking pass. My aunt has a horrible case of OCD upon my arrival there since I was coming from work my aunt was in a FRENZY as my grandma and mother spent ALL DAY cleaning the cottages. There wasn't even a MOP anywhere in the cottage we ended up going out to buy one. There was hair all over the pillows BEFORE we put on pillow cases. The power kept going out without us even running anything besides the lights. The office did NOTHING untill we complained numerous times. The so called "repair man" was a JOKE. He left things in the bathroom he took apart and said he would be back soon. It was three days later and he still wasnt back my family and I were only staying a week. He then duck tapped our dryer and washing machine back together he also duck tapped the handicap SHOWER HEAD back together so it would stop falling off. My brother and his friends got TRAPPED in the haunted house because they shut down the ride and closed all the gates with them still inside. They didn't even bother to check before the workers left. The office wasn't even open besides the main one in New York. They had to fight their way IN THE DARK to find a chicken exit so they could get to the outside. Finally the people they hire to work at these shops are a joke. Most of them don't even understand English. Instead of trying to figure out what were asking she kept laughing and placing her head in her hands untill I got so pissed off we just left. You can bet that we will be calling New York and our complaints will be known. Honestly listen to these reviews! This place is no longer a nice place to go. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: No rooms are really that great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Me, my wife, 10 month old daughter, and my mother-in-law were supposed to take a nice peaceful weekend away from the big city. My wife had come here before as a child so my mother-in-law booked the $250+/night penthouse without reading the reviews. They checked-in and went to the room while I waited with the baby. They came back to the car highly upset. My mom said she felt ill as my wife gave me the "look" and growled that there was no way in hell that she would allow our daughter to stay in that room. This was supposed to be the best room at the resort so I thought that maybe she was exaggerating. I had my mom walk me up to the room so I could personally inspect it while my wife tended to the baby.

On the way up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator), I couldn't help but notice a pine tree car air freshener hanging from a pipe along the wall. When we got to the door, there was only a single basic doorknob lock which could have obviously been opened with a credit card. Upon entering the room, I was sincerely amazed by how absolutely horrible it was. I was immediately hit with a nauseous smell of chlorine and body odor. There were many stains all over the carpet, stains on the comforters, and even inside the bed on the supposedly clean sheets (not to mention a few stray hairs). There were multiple cigarette burns on the bed and floor. There were spider webs in nearly every corner. The CRT TV sitting in the air with a mount had loose cords dangling 5ft to the outlet. The room was a mess and certainly had not seen any renovation for at least a decade. After a few minutes of inspection, my mom felt ill again so we went back down to the car.

I asked my wife to grab the keys and reservation papers and went into the office to explain why the room was unacceptable. There was one other room available so they offered to switch our room. We requested to see it first. The large pink/red stain on the white comforter (I could only imagine what it was) is what made this room worse than the first one. I said, "What the heck is that?" and our guide replied, "Well, it's not the Penthouse." I promptly exclaimed that this room was also unacceptable and that we would need to cancel our reservation.

So we head back to the office where I had to speak with a manager regarding the cancellation. I was told that they could not process any cancellations and that I would have to call the corporate office in New York, really. So I called and there was no one available to process the cancellation request. However, I was able to annotate the account explaining the health concerns and room conditions with the phone representative. I ended up returning the keys and got a check-out receipt time stamped an hour after we had arrived. I had the manager annotate the receipt with our issues in case I ran into problems getting the reservation money back (they charge the full amount when you make the reservation). It's a shame that I was too involved dealing with the situation to take pictures.

Anyways, I used my TripAdvisor App and found the Pineview Resort located 3 minutes away. It was 1000% better and cost less than half of what the Penthouse cost.

Despite the issues with the room, the staff was fine. I felt sorry for them because it isn't their fault the the hotel is in such disarray. I really hope that the corporate owners would make the investment to fix up the hotel. It's unreasonable to charge Ritz Carlton prices for sub-par accommodations. I received a call from corporate about 5 days later and they did the right thing and refunded our money.

The amusement park was okay but there were a few rides which were inoperable. The Sky Room had a buffet on Sunday which was better than expected and I enjoyed the live piano music.

Room Tip: Pineview Resort is a few minutes away. The rooms were over 50% cheaper, 1000% nicer, and Linda (as w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Downers Grove, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Unfortunately, this once nice resort spot is now a terribly run down place. First off, not one ATM was working, and they had no plans to fix them. There were several rides that were not running at all. There were also several rides that would break down several times a day. My daughter ordered a 50 dollar airbrushed sweatshirt that she never received. The beach has a concrete floor, not sand, so it slippery and awful to walk in the "beach". We have no intentions of returning to this place. There are many other places to go that are nicer for the same amount of money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was very optimistic about planning my daughter's 11 year old birthday get away! Her birthday is August 11, which happens to be in the summer! Indiana Beach would be the perfect surprise for her. I then begin to think of how I spent every summer of my childhood there. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening! My sisters and I was disappointed on so many levels, to say the least! This was our first time visiting Indiana Beach since 1996, and things have taken a change for the WORSE!!! Upon our arrival, we learned that we would be staying in Cottage 200! At a glance, the place looked perfectly normal! Later on that night, we learned otherwise. The place had NO hot water in the shower, meaning that we had to wash up over the sink! We looked under the bathroom sink, only to see a bucket was placed there, almost full to the rim with water from a busted pipe. We called the front desk, only to learn that there was no on call emergency staff. The MAIN office was based in New York, so nobody assisted us that night! The next day, the water from the bucket was over flowing! When a janitor came and poured the water out, it left the WORSE ODOR known to mankind! Immediately, I walked over to the management office! I DEMANDED that they move us to another place, preferably a hotel room! The one thing that I can say good about the place was the staff was very pleasant! They had no problem moving us. They placed us in a Penthouse, which was MUCH BETTER than the cottages! The only thing that disliked about the Penthouse was the fact that there was so many dead bugs and spider webs on the balcony! That place could be better maintenanced. The amusement park was a far cry from what it was when the Specman's owned it! Half the rides were broke. I was told that the Sea Dragon was down for months because it didn't have a part, we were on a rollercoaster (formerly known as the Superstitious Mountain haunted house) that broke down while we were on it, and at night, half the lights on the rides don't work! In my opinion, the lights on the rides at night bring the amusement park to life! I was told that when Morgan RV purchased the park from the Specmans that they only wanted the campgrounds! The Specmans informed them that they can't just give them the campgrounds. The Campgrounds and Amusement park was a package deal! So while they're taking care of the campgrounds, they are running the Amusement park into the ground! What they don't realize is that the rides is what attract customers, not the camps! I pray that they sell Indiana Beach to somebody who cares! In all of my 27 years of visiting this place, this time was the WORSE experience! The only joy that I got out of being there was the joy on my daughter's face! Other than that, as far as hotel stays and getting what you pay for, I may try Wisconsin Dells or Kings Island next year! I'm very disappointed at how my favorite childhood place is almost in ruins!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Indiana Beach Camp Resort? Share your experiences!