“Historic Sportsman Inn Worthy of High Marks” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Chalmers, Indiana
“Historic Sportsman Inn Worthy of High Marks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I would actually rate this place 4.5 stars, but that is splitting hairs. Many memories here of fine dining as a youngster with family. Eating family style walleye dinners was an awesome experience that has stuck with me for many years. Now as an adult I have visited here numerous times. Experienced the beauty of the outdoor dining facilities, the bar and the inside seating nestled up against the window watching the wave runners and boaters speed past. Sadly they no longer offer the walleye that I remember from my youth. In its place they have created a thick exceptional fish dinner of haddock filets. It is excellent when paired with their tartar sauce. We have also tried the steaks, pork chops and numerous pasta dishes. None of these offerings match the excellence of their specialty fish dinner. The fish sandwich as well is very good. I recommend you try this place for its signature fish and if you can be seated outdoors you are doubly blessed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Monticello, Indiana
“Scenic Eatery on Lake Freeman”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Definitely the place to go at least once, when visiting Monticello. Food has been better in the past than now, but they still offer a perfect location, a good bar, entertainment some nights and a classy facility. They have outdoor seating in good weather overlooking the lake and a pleasant fireplace in the winter. Service is sometimes spotty, as they seem to have a large turnover in help, so you frequently get a server who doesn't know what they are doing. Another downside can be the lack of reservations taken, which results in long wait times at popular dinner times.

Marion, Indiana
“Great water view, good food, great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited this restaurant last week during our visit to Indiana Beach. It was a quick and easy drive, with plenty of parking. There is a great deck, but no umbrella's so we decided to eat inside and by the window. The view of the water was great. The young staff was very attentive and helpful. The food was good. The restrooms were clean. Service was great. I was concerned about other reviews saying it was slow, but we found that it wasn't slow at all. We were there before 6 pm and as we were leaving, it was getting busier. Definitely will go back.

Monticello, Indiana
“Not enough food..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

A group of 24 took the dinner/cruise on July 18th..along with what I assume was about 100 + other people who paid $70 each for this evening...our 24 were the last to go to the buffet table as we were directed and we were left with no chicken and no mashed potatoes.. We had boiled shrimp with no sauce and a cold paste salad and a paste dish with sausage...we are cruising the lake so it is impossible to get more food....the meal wasn't hardly worth $35.00...The company and the band were very good....I am sure it is very difficult to control the amount of food that people take but maybe a little extra would be better than running out of food before everyone is served..this particular evening the rating is going to be poor

Visited July 2014
IN
“Norman Rockwell was here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our weekend luncheon party of 7 people joined a full dining room this Sunday. Adjacent dining rooms and the outdoor deck were all busy. Food service was on the slow side, which I would have attributed to the crowd, until I read other Trip Advisor reviews and realized this is a trouble spot. With a little one in our party, the wait felt extra-long. Most of our group chose selections from the sandwich menu and very much enjoyed them. Our lunch experience was on the pleasant side of average.

So... why an "Excellent" rating? Because this is an independently owned establishment with a long local history. Because it has water views and boat-in service that I can use to make my teenagers jealous that they didn't grow up in this town and I did. Because we need more places like this and fewer cardboard cut-out chain restaurants.

Also because 30 years ago, the proprietor used to wear evening gowns and greet the weekend patrons like an eccentric aunt. Because The Sportsman hosted my graduation lunch, my wedding rehearsal, my grandmother's 80th birthday party, and my parents' "Friday Friends" breakfast meetups for many years. Did I mention that Rotary Club (still) meets here every Monday at noon?

The Sportsman is more than decent on its merits, and you get a free side of Americana. Dig in.

• Visited June 2014