“Will never come back to this hotel, for sure!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Mishawaka
Grand Island, New York
“Will never come back to this hotel, for sure!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for a week because she and her team were competing in a national competition. This competition is at Notre Dame campus every single July, so I guess the hotels feel they can jack up their rates without regard for the quality of their establishment. We had a group reservation that specified Non-smoking rooms; however, when we checked in we were told that they "had no non-smoking rooms available for us". The party that checked in right after us was assured that "they definitely had a non-smoking room available for them". Later we found out that many of the rooms had been recently renovated, but our group was banished to the old, non-renovated, yucky rooms. Believe me, we are not a rowdy bunch who is going to trash the place. When we get back to the hotel after 12 hours (or more) at the competition, no one is interested in anything other than sleeping. Anyway...our room smelled terrible. I bought Lysol wipes and febreze but it didn't seem to help the smell. The bathroom was not very clean, the grout was all flaking up and the floor was very sticky all of the time. Neither of the phones ever worked. When I went to the front desk to ask for a wake up call the first night but explained that the phones were dead, the desk clerk couldn't seem to understand that the wake up call wouldn't work if the phones were dead, no matter how I tried to explain it to him (really?). Our TV worked some days and not others. The only way to get an entire wall of outlets to work was to leave on the light by the door, which is too bright to leave on at night, so we effectively had no outlets. Breakfast was not very good at all. Most of the staff was unfriendly. Should I keep going? The only good thing I have to say is that I thought the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Grand Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Hotel itself was ok, beds were comfortable. However, upon check-in, we were informed that their were "no non-smoking rooms available FOR US" because we were booked as part of a group of athletes in town for the annual national competition. The party who checked in after us got a non-smoking room, no problem.. so obviously there were rooms available. Aparently certain rooms had just been renovated, and despite raising their rates due to the competiiton, we were not deemed worthy of a non-smoking room because they were recently renovated. It was myself and 2 teenage daughters in the room, not a large bunch of kids. My friend had herself, her 18yr old daughter, her mom and mother -in-law (hardly a trouble making bunch) and were stuck in a smoking room as well. The rooms were smelly for sure and not very clean. The toilets in several rooms on the 2nd floor backed up one day, and the hotel brought us a plunger so we could fix it ourselves! The complimentary breakfast had minimal selections, and the bagels, etc, were not too fresh. The apples and bananas were mushy every day. We did not use the pool as the water was cloudy and it just appeared "icky". The staff was definitely NOT friendly or helpful. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't book as part of a group.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Don' use the MOLDY ice machice!!! Mold in the toliets too! Staff is not helpful and the owner is a jerk.
Lock on our room never worked, we had wait for the desk clerk to open every time. We finally left one person in the room at all times because it was easier than waiting 15 min to get the door open. The pool was cloudy and green! Don't stay here!!

• Stayed August 2010
Delta Junction, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was our second time staying here. The pool was small but clean, and the water was warm. The continental breakfast is decent. It's not a fancy hotel, but is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I made reservations back in June for the weekend of the September 12th & 13th for the Notre Dame/Michigan game. At the time I made the reservation I was aware that the cancelation date was July 28, 2008 - they do this on game weekends. The room charge was $269 a night for a king room and they charge you at the time of the cancelation date. It was a decent room, definitely 2-star, clean, and the bed was comfortable. There was also a huge jacuzzi tub in the bedroom area large enough to fit two or more - if that is what you lke, we didn't go near it!

The problem with the hotel occured before our arrival. We had Hurricane Ike coming toward us and we were not sure we would be able to make the trip to South Bend from South Texas because of obvious reasons - having to evacuate, airlines shut down, etc. I called the hotel to talk to the manager to explain our situation to see if we would be charged in the event we couldn't make the trip because of the hurricane, NOT because we just didn't want to travel. I was only able to speak to the girl at the front desk. She told me the manager was a lady named Sharon. I left my number, but the manager never called me nor was I able to reach her after calling again. I then called Customer Service on their 800 number. I explained that the hurricane situation to the Customer Service guy who told me that I would have to speak to the hotel because my cancelation deadline had passed. He then went on to tell that the hurricane wouldn't be affecting South Bend - I swear he said this! He told me I would have to speak directly with the hotel and gave me the name of the manager for the hotel, Dave, which was not the name the girl at the front desk gave me. He also said no one by the name of Sharon had ever managed that hotel. I never did get to speak to Dave or Sharon. Lucky for us the hurricane did not come here and we were able to use our reservations.

In conclusion, make reservations here only if you can afford to pay for the room even if you can't stay because of an emergency. This hotel is only interested in making a buck, they don't care about any extinuating circumstances. This seems a little strange that the hotel chain would be willing to risk losing future customers - they could have easily sold that room during the football weekend.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

For the third year in a row we have loved staying at this hotel. The staff is wonderful. Sharon, at the front desk, is amazing...especially during tornado warnings! The hotel manager, Dave, goes above and beyond to make our stay better every year. Very friendly and proffessional.
We will be back AGAIN next year and can hardly wait!
Thank you to all for all you do!
VA Ladies

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

We had a few of the same experiences as other posters on here. I called the evening before our stay to confirm our reservation, however, when we checked in they said they did not have a room for us. Apparently they tried to charge the entire stay on my credit card the day we checked in and when it was denied, they canceled the room and gave it to someone else. I had no intention of paying with the card I used for reservation. They should state that in their reservation notes. Had I known this, I would have used a different card at time of reservation. Luckily they had another room available, but they charged us $30 more per night for it. Our first night the toilet clogged and they didn't even have any plungers available. We never got the toilet plunged and we ended up using the public rest room for the rest of our stay. And the final straw, at checkout they tried to charge a different rate for the second night than I agreed to when taking the room. The desk clerk had no idea how to credit the money back to my charge card. We waited there for an hour for her to figure it out with customer service on the phone. To make matters worse, she was very rude, as if it was my fault this happened. Until I came, she was reading a book and just handing everyone's pre-printed receipts to them as they checked out. For the rates they charge at this place, it's not worth it. I suggest going anywhere else but here.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!