We have stayed in the area for Notre Dame football games each of the last 4 years, and this hotel is the best one we've tried (see my reviews of Jameson/Signature Inns in South Bend and Elkhart, and the Courtyard by Marriott next door). This time we brought both kids, aged 11 and 8.
Football guests are greeted with a glass of Asti Spumanti and petit fours; like all of the other hotels we've stayed at here, you have to schlep your own luggage - the staff is nice and smiley from behind the desk though! The room is a 'suite' with an armchair, couch, desk and 'kitchen' area (microwave, fridge, coffe/tea setup and supplies, good size counter and sink) on one side, and the beds, sink/vanity area and bathroom on the other. There was a TV in each section, good when travelling with kids!
The furnishings looked brand-new - the tags were still on the extremely-comfortable mattresses! The closet is good sized, and there are three small dressers. The bathroom is actually big enough to move around in, the towels were large and fluffy, and the shower had good water pressure and the temperature stayed consistent even when there must have been a lot of people getting ready at the same time on game day. I appreciated the full array of toiletries (including body lotion, hair conditioner, separate facial and bath soaps)- most of these hotels give you only one tiny bottle of shampoo and one sliver of soap.
Unlike a previous reviewer, I didn't hear any conversations through the walls despite the hotel being full. My only complaint with the room is the heat or A/C fan - when it's on it is LOUD and blows forcefully on whomever is sleeping in the bed closest to the window. There is a digital temp control but nothing to adjust the fan itself - it's either on, off, or "auto" based on temperature.
The indoor pool was chilly (it was not cold that weekend - mid 60's during the day) but my kids didn't mind - the hot tub was great though! The pool area is attractive and seems new or newly renovated with tables and chairs and lots of towels.
The included buffet breakfast is fine, my kids got a big kick out of the waffle irons. They also had "McMuffin" makings, a variety of breads, pastries and cereals, yoghurts, fresh whole and cut fruits. Only downside was the juices were way too sweet - they need to adjust the water/concentrate ratio of the dispenser.
For $239 a night (plus $30 in taxes) I thought it was a much better deal than the Courtyard next door, which three years ago I felt was horrendously overpriced for what you got (maybe they've reduced their prices since then?). I would absolutely choose this hotel over the others I've mentioned, although I'd like to try the new Hilton at St. Mary's but not for football ($1,000 for the weekend!).
The room service menu looked interesting - a local wine and tapas restaurant supposedly provides in-room waiter service! However we needed kid-friendly food quickly so we just got takeout from the Papa Vino's across the driveway and it was very good.
Feel free to email me with any questions! Go Irish!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The SpringHill Suites South Bend Mishawaka is an all-suite hotel with accommodations 25% larger than rooms at other Mishawaka hotels. This hotel is ideally located east of downtown South Bend at Edison Lakes Parkway and Main Street, and offers easy access to the University of Notre Dame, Compton Family Ice Arena, Potwatomi Park Zoo, and University Park Mall. Business Travelers also appreciate the close proximity to the offices of AM General, Honeywell, Bayer, Siemens, Liberty Mutual, Memorial Hospital, and St. Joseph Medical Center. Start your day off right with the complimentary new breakfast buffet, and unwind in the evenings at the indoor pool. The spacious guest suites include new flat-screen TVs, free WiFi, luxury bedding, et bar, and an in-room mini-fridge and microwave. Choose the SpringHill Suites South Bend Mishawaka and enjoy spacious guest rooms and terrific service that stands out among Mishawaka hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your SpringHill Suites South Bend Mishawaka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites South Bend Mishawaka Hotel Mishawaka
- Springhill Suites Mishawaka