“The Rock Bar - the bartender is a thief!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Chip Casino and Hotel

Expedia.com Travelocity
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   777 Blue Chip Drive, 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City, IN 46360   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Michigan City
Elburn
“The Rock Bar - the bartender is a thief!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent a girls weekend in Union Pier, Michigan. One of the nights we decided to go to the Blue Chip Casino. The casino was a lot of fun. I had won pretty big on a slot machine so I decided to treat my friends to a round of drinks while we listened to the band playing in The Rock Bar. After placing my 4 drink order and handed a $100 bill to the bartender ~ he gave me a receipt with $20 dollars on it. I asked for my change and he said that I had given him a $20 and we were "even". I said I was sure I gave you a $100 bill and he said "no I don't have any $100's in my drawer." I checked my purse and was sure I gave him the $100. He said "my word against yours" ... so please remember if you go there one of the bartenders at the Rock bar doesn't give the correct change / pockets money instead of ringing up drink orders. BE CAREFUL....He is a liar and a thief!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Digital Marketing Manager at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We are very concerned to read your comments posted online and would like an opportunity to discuss them in detail if you would be kind enough to contact us at 888-879-7711. Thank you.

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Peru, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was our first visit to the Blue Chip and we didn't know what to expect. We had a very satisfactory visit . None of the casinos are really loose but I found the Blue Chip not too bad. Our room was not in the new part but it was clean and comfortable. We would go again and probably will in the spring.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My first and last visit to this casino left me NOT impressed.

The casino itself is OK, but the rooms leave A LOT to be desired. The best feature is the awesome shower with glass doors. The room did appear to be clean, but minimal in decor and amenities.

Two long, flat uncomfortable pillows on the bed and NO blankets, just sheets. The sheets were extremely scratchy and not comfortable.

The room was extremely noisy and we were woke up MANY times by people in the next room shouting and such.

I doubt I would ever stay at this location again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Digital Marketing Manager at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the product quality you experienced at Blue Chip Casino, Hotel and Spa. Your comments have been shared with our Housekeeping and Security departments so that we might continue to improve our product and service standards. We would welcome an opportunity to speak further about your visit to our property. We can be reached toll-free at (888) 879-7711. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about our property. We hope that you will consider giving Blue Chip another opportunty in the future.
munster, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent the night at the Blue Chip in Michigan City for their slot tournament. It was an awesome deal with all meals included. The room we had was in the tower at the end of the hall where the building curves so it was really nice. The Lighthouse Mall is probably less than a mile away too!

Room Tip: As for aroom at the end along the curve.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night and were not interested in the casino. It is just one of the nicer hotels in the area and close to where we needed to be. Our room was very large with floor to ceiling windows. We had a view looking out over Lake Michigan and skies were clear enough to see the Chicago skyline. Many lighting features in the room to accommodate any of your moods and all switches are clearly marked (very nice touch). The bathroom is like being in your own spa. Large enough for two people to get ready at the same time. Front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. Would stay here again if in town. Regarding the smoke comments. It is smokey in the casino, but smelling the stench on the spa tower elevators really was a turn off. Come on Blue Chip figure that one out.

Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back from a fun weekend at Blue Chip. I was expecting the worst because of all of the complaints and I was pleasantly surprised. The one complaint I have is you can't pre check in . The casino was not at all that smokey. Yes it does smell but come on if you go to a smoking casino you have to realize you will come out smelling like smoke. The machines were tight but again that is to be expected. They do have a very nice variety of machines and the casino is laid out in a way that is easy to get around. We were there on a Saturday and most of the people were middle aged and not in wheelchairs. The food is quite good at the Deli and the sports bar. Drinks are reasonably priced and they have a nice selection of beers. The room was very nice and clean, we were in the Blue Chip Tower. The casino is also very close to the Indiana Dunes which is an added plus.

Room Tip: If you do not want to walk down a long hallway ask for a room closer to the elevator.
Willard, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

On oct. 5th and 6th my wife and I met our friends at Blue Chip as we have the past 3 years now as it is about a halfway point for us to meet. We stayed in the Blue Chip Tower as it is even more expensive to stay in the Spa Tower on weekends. The rooms were very nice with a mini fridge in rooms for some beer! The bathrooms are nice with a great tile walk in shower. The casino is big and lots of slot machines. The lounge called Rocks has different bands on fri. and sat. night and is a fun place to take a break from gambling. We did eat at the sports bar called The Game and it was very good with big portions at a good price. Sun. morning we ate at the buffet which is good like about any other casino buffet. There is also Vegas Baby and William B's and a mini cafe which we did not eat at.
Check in was simple and the check in staff were freindly and helpful. At checkout she even offered to check and see if we could get one night taken off of our bill based on our play and she did! Rooms are a little pricey on weekends, but I guess I am used to Detroit and Windsor where I get free or reduced rooms most of the time.
At first glance Michigan City looks like a town with nothing to do, but once you take a drive and see there are many things to do in area like outlet mall,bars,restaurants and nice beaches. We really liked a micro brew bar called Shoreline.
Overall this is a very nice hotel and casino and would visit more often if it were closer and could get better hotel prices. No complaints here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Chip Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!