“Not Gay-Friendly!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Grayson, Kentucky
“Not Gay-Friendly!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My partner and I had recently purchased the Concert package for the Alice Cooper show which included seats at the show, dinner buffet and breakfast. I had attended shows before and wanted my partner to have the same experience I did. Check in was a hassle and the young lady working the front desk was obviously inexperienced. Room was fine but the sleep number bed didn't work as was advertised. The dinner buffet didn't offer much selection and was scheduled at 5 when we were only allowed to check in at 4 leaving us little time to get ready. We arrive to the Star Plaza Theatre and finally find the Celebrity Circle Lounge, which was a hot room with very little selection in drinks. Also, it was cash only as they had no means to run a card there.

Now on to the show. We find our excellent seats in the 5th row. We would not get to enjoy them long. As the show begins, people kept coming down front from other seats blocking the aisles in order to get near the stage. Security was doing nothing to prevent this. A few songs in, a guitar pic is thrown next to my partner. He reaches down to pick it up and a guy in the row behind us grabs him by the shirt, thus ripping it and scratches my boyfriend in the struggle to get the pic from him. My boyfriend points out his ripped shirt and scratched chest to a couple members of security and is basically told, "Well, that's just what happens." Upset by this reaction, he leaves the show and goes back to his room while I search for a higher level of security. The man I find is very rude to me after I explain what happened even when I tell him I can identify the person who attacked him as I was right there. He tells me unless he can talk to my boyfriend directly that it was pointless talking to me.

I go back to the room to get my boyfriend to come back and talk to them. We return and are shuffled to another security guard. After seeing the shirt and the scratches, he basically acts like he can't be bothered. Finally he asks us to point out the person responsible. We identify him and he tells us to grab some seats in the back for the rest of the show which by this point Alice was on the last song. He doesn't approach the person identified at all and as the show lets out, he tells us, "Well, we've got your info, we'll call you if anything happens." So due to all this, we miss most of the show, had to give up our seats while the attacker gets to enjoy it all. The attitude we got from security that due to us being gay, they were unwilling to help us.

After getting no satisfaction from the theater security, I decided to address my concerns to the front desk. I'm given a security officer, Vido, who I again explain the situation to and he's like, "Well, they should have taken care of that at the theater." I tell them that was why I was addressing him. He pretty much tells me like everyone else had that there was really nothing he could do about it.

This was not my first trip to the Radisson at Star Plaza but it will definitely be my last. The homophobic attitudes of the security made me uneasy and hurt that attitudes like that still exist. After spending almost $500 for this package, I would expect better service from staff. There was not one "I'm sorry" or any offer to fix this situation, just a lot of "Well, there's not much we can do." After spending the money and driving over 6 hours for this show to have it ruined by security officers on an ego-trip is not my idea of a nice get-a-way.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Good Day Jason L,

What you experienced during your stay is unnacceptable and I will be brining this to the attention of, not only my security staff, but also the General Manager and Security Personnel at the theater. Regardless of "whose responsiblity" it is, you should have been taken care of and recieved the experience you paid for.

I want to personnally invite you to call me directly at 219.680.1056 to discuss as I want to provide you with the experience, you not only paid for, but also deserve.

219.680.1056

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business one night and was very pleasantly surprised. The waterfall over the pool and cool colored lights in the pool made mw sorry I didn't bring the kids. Very dark painted ceiling in the main hotel area, but really emphasized the pool. Desk staff were very friendly at check in. Nice Starbucks in the lobby area and Irish themed pub on site.

The common hallway leading to my room was very tired looking, so i was surprised to find the room itself was very nicely appointed with king size bed, lots of pillows, full sized sofa with a nice matching ottoman, dual height desk, refrigerator and several mirrors in the room. Bathroom was small, but functional, although it took a LONG time for the water to get hot. The bed was a sleep number, but the control did not work so the bed was super hard. My room had NO view, but since there was a tornado warning I felt pretty secure in the location I was in at the back of the hotel.

Because of the severe storm the night I was there, I didn't feel like going out. I walked though the conference area to get to the lobby, and was impressed with the ballrooms -very nice. I ordered a burger which was fantastic, and enjoyed a Cosmopolitan at the bar -also wonderful. I will be staying here again when I am in Merrilville.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Joseph F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Good Day Lightinggrl,

Thank you for recognizing and enjoying our establishment. We work hard to not only accomodate our business travels, but also our local guests. We strive to make this an environment that caters to both the professional workforce and those looking to get away with family.

Regarding your room, I sincerely apologize for your bed not working properly. Please accept my personal apologies, and I ask you contact me directly so we may identify which room you stayed in and insure this does not impact another guest.

Thank you for enjoying our Authentic Irish Pub TJ Maloney's and I am looking forward to your next visit!

Muscat, Oman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The location of the hotel is prime as it is near a lot of establishments, restaurants, stores, groceries, etc. name it and they're just 'round the corner.

The purpose of staying in this hotel was well served as we only needed a night's rest . The rooms are OK, a little bit ran down already but still find their bed to be comfortable. We actually booked 3 rooms, it was a bit too cold in one of the rooms but the air-conditioning cannot be adjusted and since we did not have time to call maintenance to adjust it, the occupants in the room just have to deal with it, we only had a few hours stay anyway. What was actually not so nice for us was the super strong smell of the (pool) chlorine at the hallway / pathway, when we were being ushered to our rooms... thankfully, the smell is not that strong inside the rooms...

Happy that there was a Starbucks and an Irish Pub (closes as early as 11pm, we we're expecting it to close at 1 or 2... ), aside from the restaurant where they serve breakfast. The lady at breakfast was super, her service was 5star. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Good Day Bluealistair,

I want to write and thank you for your attentive review and the recognition of our hotel, which is perfectly adjacent to multiple locations of prime shopping food & beverage establishments. Our pool is a landmark in Northwest Indiana; whereas, memories are created through multiple generations coming through and in and out of Northwest Indiana. Our oasis-like atrium lobby is one of relaxation and comfort. Thank you for the recognition of our Yes I Can Guest service and I trust we may host you again.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at this Radisson one week ago. We are temporarily doing the long distance thing, so we met in the middle (me in WI, him in MI) and got a great deal on Priceline. We first met up at the Irish pub. They make a mean bloody Mary but the service was a bit slobull though I understood since it was 3 in the afternoon on a Thursday and it was not crowded at all. Our room was in the back part of the hotel and overlooked the outdoor pool. We had a nice little balcony and the weather was beautiful. The room was very nice-nothing too fancy but just what we needed. Our favorite part of the trip was breakfast at the Star Cafe. Wonderful buffet and cool decor. We are planning on staying again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Day Amanda D.

Thank you for recognizing our bartending staff at TJ Maloney's; as well as the excellent guest service you recieved. We are excited to host you again and please, by all means, let us know when you will return.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been here back in the late 80's and had a blast,this hotel had it going on, after reading these reviews I was kind of worried about booking a room here, last time I was here was about 15 years ago I still had a terrific time, so I took my chance and no regrets at all, loved it, just wish they would of kept the jacuzzi and the indoor playground, but hopefully they'll bring it back but I would definitely come back, we did a package deal and had a great time, rooms were clean and service was dynamite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Joseph F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Good Day Lito5211,

Thank you for your trust and faith in our hotel. As you are aware, we are an established premier location for all events, food and rooms in Northwest Indiana and as the market's expectations have evolved, so have we.

I am sure, 15 years ago you thoroughly enjoyed J. Ginger's restaurant but today we've converted it into an Authentic Irish Pub TJ Maloney's.

Although we've gone through renovations to stay with the market's expectations, we continue to employ the same Yes I Can assocaites because we pride our selves on our service.

We trust to host you again!

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Common areas are nice looking and up to date. The atrium (former Holidome when it was a Holiday Inn) has a lot of potential but was a dissapointment. It was kept very dark with minimal lighting. Also, they have a lot of "cabanas" that one can rent out but no one was using them when I visited. My recommendation would be to convert a lot of this deadspace back into what it once was when it was a true Holidome: billiards, ping pong, shuffleboard, etc., bring it back! Otherwise the atrium contains a lot of lounging space and a pool. The lounge/restaurant in the atrium was closed when I was there.

I asked for a room that overlooked the atrium, the front desk rep gave me a first floor room that looked out to a wall (the back of a cabana). Because of this and the fact that the atrium was kept so dark, I literally had a view of nothing. The room itself was nothing to write home about. It was pretty basic and a little icky. The carpet had multiple stains, the hairdryer had hair sticking out of it, the furniture had a little a bit of a residue, the towels had some stains, just not a fresh feeling room.

We ate at TJ Mahoneys and watched the NCAA Basketball Championship, no complaints there. Everyone was friendly and food/drinks were good. Starbucks in the morning worked out well too.

Overall the staff was friendly and helpful. My recommendations for improvement would be to liven and light up the atrium, there is so much potential there and renovate the rooms.

Room Tip: second or third floor over the atrium/pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Good Day Bryan22,

Thank you for your response, and I want to insure you, what you experienced is not what we have to offer. I will send immediate action into the guest rooms on the first floor to seek to identify which room you were in to remedy any of the concerns you mentioned.

Moreover, thank you for recognizing our Authentic Irish Pub T.J. Maloneys, as a notable locaiton in Northwest Indiana, we always seek to insure everyone is family in Maloney's!

We value your recommendations and we always insure we take the market's response into consideration when converting our property. The market did drive the overall changes as Radisson; however, we will take your heartfelt response into consideration and we thank you for your comments.

Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could add a photo to this review of the lovely (cough cough) view of the roof/ trash/ whatever from this room. Disgusting. Dirt coming in from the outside. White stains on furniture. Entire hotel smells like a pool. Bed is fine. Bathroom is the size of a postage stamp. Just not impressed. Check in seemed clueless in general. I just don't like this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Good Day ILoveLamp27,

I want to apologize for your experience, given the thousands of people that come through our property, what you experienced is not acceptable and I will not tolerate such lack of cleanliness you experienced. This is being reviewed now with our Director of Rooms, Front Office and Operation Managers.

I want to invite you to call me directly to insure you receive the experience you paid for.

I look forward to receiving your call,
219.680.1056

Been to Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza? Share your experiences!