I had to travel to Merrillville for a family emergency and left the booking arrangements to my dad. Unfortunately there was a mixup with the booking and I ended up with a king bed instead of two queen beds (my husband and I were sharing a room with my sister). I only discovered this at check-in (again, family emergency, didn't have time beforehand to check that everything was in order). When I asked the woman at the desk if I could get the room changed, Rita told me that she couldn't because we had booked through a third-party site instead of through Best Western directly. And then pointed out that we had paid too much for the room and that we should have booked directly through them. And then also pointed out that they (the hotel) lose money on the third-party vendor transactions. Because I was exhausted and worn out from a day of travel, I wasn't in the mood to argue and requested a roll away bed be brought to my room for my sister to sleep on. Rita was more than happy to charge me for this. I left the desk after getting her reassurance that the bed would be delivered to our room while we were out.
When we returned to the hotel later that night, there was no spare bed waiting for us. When it was delivered, my sister opened it up to find mouse droppings on the thin comforter and when she flipped open the covers, there was mold on the linens. We folded up the bed, put it out in the hall, and my sister slept in the lounge chair instead. We were all too tired to call and complain about the bed - plus, I had been repeatedly told by Rita an hour earlier that she just couldn't accommodate my room change request, so why bother debating that again? And when I took a shower, the towel I grabbed had mold on it too, so it wasn't just the linens on the roll away bed that had issues.
The next morning, after my sister spent a sleepless night on the lounge chair, we went downstairs for the complementary breakfast. It consisted of microwaved eggs and cheap sausage patties, yogurt, and lots of pastries and muffins. At least the coffee was alright. After eating, I went up to the front desk to complain about the dirty roll away bed and maybe get a new room. Thankfully the woman on duty that morning was extremely helpful, super apologetic about the condition of the spare bed, and not only removed the charges for the bed but transferred us to a new room.
When we returned later that afternoon to get our new room, Rita was back but with the manager this time. Both of them repeated the "you should have booked directly through us" and then acted like they were really going out of their way to accommodate our room request especially since we had put down we had only two people in the room when we booked the room instead of the three that we actually had, and even though they would normally charge us extra, this time they weren't going to. Gee, thanks.
While the front desk staff was a complete mixed bag, at least the second night was much better. But would I stay there again? Definitely not. Even if I booked through Best Western directly, it's overpriced for what you get. The cleanliness was spotty, the free breakfast was laughable, and the front desk was not likely to go out of its way without pointing out how much it would cost you or them to go through with your request. The nicest, friendliest hotel I've stayed at in this area was the Hampton Inn, and the last time I was there they were under renovations and still that experience was so much better than this.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Merrillville
- Merrillville Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated near the Indiana/Illinois border, the Best Western Inn & Suites of Merrillville offers the best in customer service, amenities and accommodations for an unbeatable value. This Merrillville area hotel boasts 52 well-appointed guest rooms and suites, each featuring cable satellite television with HBO and high-speed Internet access. Enjoy an array of amenities such as a complimentary continental breakfast, an indoor heated swimming pool, hot tub, exercise facility and limited business services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Best Western, Agoda, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites of Merrillville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.