“Started out ok....went down hill quickly” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Columbia, South Carolina
“Started out ok....went down hill quickly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our initial impression was ok....enjoyed our first night. We woke up early the next morning and left the hotel around 7:30 am to pack my sister in law for the big move back to Columbia. After a very long and tiresome day of packing and loading a 24ft moving truck we made it back to our room around 6:30 pm...opened the door and NOTHING! The beds had not been made, the bathroom had not been cleaned, no fresh towels...nothing. I immediately called the front desk and was told "sorry" in a very nonchalant manner. We asked for clean towels and were provided those....we again left for a late dinner and arrived back to the sound of a party in the room across the hall....the party continued until 3:00am in the morning....we called the front desk to complain several times and were told that security would come up....I NEVER SAW SECURITY, not sure if they even had security. I had to leave at 4:30am to begin the journey home with just a few hours sleep. Called and spoke with the GM and was again told "sorry" and that he couldn't do anything for us because I booked the room through my travel club. To add insult to injury when I returned home and checked my account these fine folks charged me for two nights that I had already paid for. So that was my experience guess I should have ponied up and stayed at the Hampton Inn right beside it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Well For Starters Our Room Was In An O.K. Condition And Also Clean. But, It Had A Flipside To It Which Was After I Returned To My Room (That Night) I Had Noticed That It Was Still In The Condition That I Had Left It In. The Maid Had Skipped Our Room! I Was Not Satistfied With That, So The Next Day I Checked Out And Had Decided To Stay In The HIE In Schereville, IL. This Hotel Was Much Cleaner And Had Friendly Staff (Other Than HIE in Merrivile, IL) I HIGHLY Recommend This Hotel Instead.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear GabbyBoo22,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you were satisfied with the overall conditions of our hotel. However, I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHG Care
WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel is pretty par for the course for a Holiday Inn Express. We are usually not disappointed. The front desk staff was very friendly and gave us some free popcorn & water bottle due to our priority club status. The breakfast was okay although the dining area was pretty cramped and you had to maneauver your way around tables to get to your table because when chairs were pulled out with people sitting in them, there was no way to get through. The only downside I can think of is the odd exit off the highway to the service road to get there. Odd exit and the service road is in dire need of repairs. Otherwise I have no complaints about the hotel itself.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Cleanliness of my room was average, the hotel has a musty smell everywhere though. The bathroom sink has less water pressure than anywhere I have ever stayed, so shaving or brushing teeth was hard to do. The worst thing was that they don't seem to fix anything- there were two broken light bulbs in my room so it wasn't light enough in there. Also, the dead bolt lock on the door was so loose that it barely worked and shower head obviously hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Overall, this unfortunately seems to be par for the course for any HIE anymore, that is why I don't stay at many of them anymore- they seem to think that "average" is good enough. I have tried contacting several members of IHG management to voice my concerns, but no one there has ever replied.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
oconnorjo, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
I appreciate your comments regarding the Holiday Inn Express Merrillville. Since your visit, we have made significant changes in personnel at this hotel, including a new manager and maintenance person. The issues you experienced have been addressed and corrected. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Cheyenne, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

The hotel is clean but very outdated. The TV in room is old, the bathroom is small and the gym in a joke. Breakfast is the bare minimum for a HIE breakfast.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
I appreciate your comments regarding the Holiday Inn Express Merrillville. The issues you experienced have been addressed and corrected, including the purchase of all new flat panel TV's for all guest rooms. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We love staying at Holiday Inn Express's, our 5 year old daughter loves to swim and they usually have a great pool, we also love the breakfast! The staff that checked us in was friendly, the room was typical, bathroom also typical, we noticed a bunch of stray hairs in tub and on floor on par w/ other Holiday Inn Express's that we have stayed at. Breakfast was great, eggs, sausage, plenty of breads and yogurts. I'm a type one diabetic, so I really like that there are foods I can eat, not just donuts or pastrys. The only problem we had was that everything in the room was scented. I have allergies to fragrances and it was a big deal breaker. Even the pillows and sheets smelled. Because of that we will not be able to stay there the next time we are in the area. I went to talk to the desk clerk and couldn't find one, so I called from my cell phone, I had waited at least 10 minutes and there was a line by the time I called. He finally came out of the back room and even though I told him 3 times that it was me that had called he kept trying to answer the phone that was no longer ringing. I asked the night clerk about maybe getting a pillow case that wasn't scented and he just stared at me. For about 10 seconds then he turned around and walked away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Bloomington, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

It was a short stay, as I arrived close to midnight and left the next morning, but I was very happy to check in and find a spotlessly clean and comfortable room. The huge king size bed and the always clean and comfortable Holiday Inn Express linens were welcoming and relaxing.

The bathroom was large and clean, and the complimentary toiletries that HIE provides are always nice.

The television had a large selection of stations and had very clear reception.

The breakfast food seemed a bit stale, but that might have been because I ate late. It would have been excellent if fresh....scrambled eggs, biscuits (no gravy, although there was supposed to be), bacon, potatoes, juice, cereal, etc.

As always, I know when I select HIE I won't be disappointed and that I can count on a clean, relaxing stay.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express Merrillville? Share your experiences!