“needs a maintenance man” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 21 hotels in Merrillville
IL
“needs a maintenance man”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Cleanliness of my room was average, the hotel has a musty smell everywhere though. The bathroom sink has less water pressure than anywhere I have ever stayed, so shaving or brushing teeth was hard to do. The worst thing was that they don't seem to fix anything- there were two broken light bulbs in my room so it wasn't light enough in there. Also, the dead bolt lock on the door was so loose that it barely worked and shower head obviously hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Overall, this unfortunately seems to be par for the course for any HIE anymore, that is why I don't stay at many of them anymore- they seem to think that "average" is good enough. I have tried contacting several members of IHG management to voice my concerns, but no one there has ever replied.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
oconnorjo, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
I appreciate your comments regarding the Holiday Inn Express Merrillville. Since your visit, we have made significant changes in personnel at this hotel, including a new manager and maintenance person. The issues you experienced have been addressed and corrected. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

The hotel is clean but very outdated. The TV in room is old, the bathroom is small and the gym in a joke. Breakfast is the bare minimum for a HIE breakfast.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
I appreciate your comments regarding the Holiday Inn Express Merrillville. The issues you experienced have been addressed and corrected, including the purchase of all new flat panel TV's for all guest rooms. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We love staying at Holiday Inn Express's, our 5 year old daughter loves to swim and they usually have a great pool, we also love the breakfast! The staff that checked us in was friendly, the room was typical, bathroom also typical, we noticed a bunch of stray hairs in tub and on floor on par w/ other Holiday Inn Express's that we have stayed at. Breakfast was great, eggs, sausage, plenty of breads and yogurts. I'm a type one diabetic, so I really like that there are foods I can eat, not just donuts or pastrys. The only problem we had was that everything in the room was scented. I have allergies to fragrances and it was a big deal breaker. Even the pillows and sheets smelled. Because of that we will not be able to stay there the next time we are in the area. I went to talk to the desk clerk and couldn't find one, so I called from my cell phone, I had waited at least 10 minutes and there was a line by the time I called. He finally came out of the back room and even though I told him 3 times that it was me that had called he kept trying to answer the phone that was no longer ringing. I asked the night clerk about maybe getting a pillow case that wasn't scented and he just stared at me. For about 10 seconds then he turned around and walked away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Bloomington, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

It was a short stay, as I arrived close to midnight and left the next morning, but I was very happy to check in and find a spotlessly clean and comfortable room. The huge king size bed and the always clean and comfortable Holiday Inn Express linens were welcoming and relaxing.

The bathroom was large and clean, and the complimentary toiletries that HIE provides are always nice.

The television had a large selection of stations and had very clear reception.

The breakfast food seemed a bit stale, but that might have been because I ate late. It would have been excellent if fresh....scrambled eggs, biscuits (no gravy, although there was supposed to be), bacon, potatoes, juice, cereal, etc.

As always, I know when I select HIE I won't be disappointed and that I can count on a clean, relaxing stay.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

We ended up staying here after a last minute decision to stay in the area. The hotel seems to be relatively new and they have the new holiday inn beds (simply smart) The hotel was clean and the front desk staff was pleasant.

The hotel has an indoor pool with a depth of only 4 feet. It is probably great for kids. The breakfast bar (included in price) had cereal, hot cinnamon roles, biscuits and gravy, warm cinnamon apples, (toaster) waffles, bagels, muffins, and toast.

Overall, not a bad place to stay if you are going through Merrillville.

• Liked — Close to Merrillville
  • Disliked — AC in fitness center was not working during our visit.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

My husband's family is scattered over several states and they decided to meet in Merrillville, Indiana, for a weekend since that was where the children grew up. That particular weekend was a very busy one for Merrillville, and a lot of the hotels were full. We made our reservations online with the hotel's website and got the best deal and had room choices that weren't even available by calling the hotel it's self by prepaying for the room. They gave us an early check in to our whirlpool room and went out of their way to ask if we needed anything because we were traveling with a small child. Marsha at the front desk was FABULOUS. She was very helpful with the special requests we had and went out of her way to talk directly to my young daughter. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The pool was well maintained and nicely heated. My daughter highly recommends the breakfast in the morning and apparently a lot of those who stay enjoyed it as well since there was a full dining room most of the morning. We were given a late check out that gave our daughter an undisturbed nap and checkout took less than two minutes. We were very impressed. We're looking forward to coming back.

• Liked — Very friendly staff, the wonderfully clean room, and attention to special details.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Merrillville? Share your experiences!