“Great for Families!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Chicago, Illinois
“Great for Families!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed here while with our newborn son and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect hotel. Our room was clean and anytime we need extra items such as dishwasher detergent the staff gladly provided it. We also used the exercise room and laundry room both were spotless. The hotel is close to everything you could need such as grocery stores and restaurants. We also brought our dog and the hotel provided pick up bags!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fire Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My stay was so terrible! First of all the staff including the General Manager Khalid are very unpleasant and just unprofessional. When I checked in the room was not even ready. My room was very nasty and had smelled like poopy diapers I could tell that the floor was not vaccummed or mopped there was hair in the tub and old pink mold on the shower handle. When front desk called housekeeping the supervisor came out and could not even speak english and maintenance had to translate for her that was very unprofessional!!!! Then the housekeeping supervisor kept muttering words in Spanish to Maintenance. To make things worse my remote control to the tv was not working so Maintenance walked up in my room and did not exven knock did not have on a badge to identify himself and not to mention was creepy loooking!!! I complained this to the General Manager Khalid he did not seem to care and even called me a sarcastic liar and to go to hell , yes everyone the general manager told me to go to hell, I then tried to immediately check oput but If I did I would still get charged. I left anyways and stayed at the RED ROOF INN who yes is a cheaper hotel but the staff there were so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! Candlewood Suites Is a DIRTY NASTY PLACE!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

i stayed two nights and my stay was fine. i arrived at 1 pm which was before check in and went to the gym room waiting for a room to become available. There were about 5 machines there which was adjacent to the free laundry that i did not use. one treadmill didn't seem to work properly. When the room was available it was on the parking lot level. the first night, a friday was quiet the Saturday wasn't as much with people coming in. The hotel is beside the expressway but quiet from road noise. Bed was good. I was gone for the full day (Sat.) until 5pm and when i returned the room was not done. The room was with a kitchen in the same room. it had a full refrig, dishwasher and microwave. Internet was free. The washroom sink didn't have a sink plug so i had to use a flat one that you will need to bring. The hotel is off a very wide and busy road with a lot of restaurants and a shopping center. I found a good place for breakfast named Sheffield's. It is on the corner of Mississippi and 82nd. It would also seem to be good for lunch. no restaurant at the hotel.
I paid $84 which was a good price in relation to the next place i stayed, a Holiday Inn express at $123.00 in another town.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
GRANVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

The desk staff was very indifferent, not a smile or welcome from either we dealt with. There was a parking lot light shining into my face all night because the curtains were not set up to close together. The fan on the AC was very loud even on the low setting.

• Stayed July 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Staying at the Candlewood Suites in Merrillville, Indiana transformed a business trip into a vacation. The hotel staff treats guests as though they were part of an extended family. The facilities are clean and spacious and the hotel staff are professional, courteous and helpful. All members of the staff, from the hotel manager, Khalid, the front desk staff, the maintenance engineer and the housekeeping staff extended themselves to make our lengthy stay an extremely enjoyable one. Although we are looking forward to returning home after a month working in the Merrillville, Indiana area, we are sorry to say goodbye to our new friends at the Candlewood Suites.

The hotel is also close to numerous fine restaurants and shopping. A major upscale mall is only a few moments away.

We extend our thanks to all of the members of the hotel staff for making our trip so comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Eastern side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Super comfortable room, they thought of every little touch. There was a bag of popcorn and a bowl in the microwave, plenty of multi-purpose dishes in the cupboards, great soaps/shampoo, free current magazines, and a great bed and pillows. Usually only the higher-end places have pillow menus, but we didn't even use this service because the ones they provided were so plush. The place is very new (about 1 year old, in March 2010) and extremely clean. They have a great little convenience store where we got juice and snacks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

When I arrived at the Candlewood Suites, I had no idea what I was in for. When I got to our room, I was shocked beyond belief; the room was clean, and it had things in it that I had never experienced before. Namely, cooktop, kitchen cabinets, dishwasher, full size frig, sink, flat screen TV, table that could be used to eat a meal on, or take care of business papers, and the beds were queen sized. I was so happy to stay there, and I will stay there again whenever I'm visiting Chicago.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Merrillville? Share your experiences!