“Bring ear plugs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Martinsville
Lexington, Kentucky
“Bring ear plugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Could not sleep. Will never stay here again. Uncomfortable beds, floors and walls have to be paper thin. Drunks and kids should be put on lowest floor. Slamming doors and running and jumping all night. Reported to front desk, never stopped.

• Stayed January 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Martinsville, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear cannotslee,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Martinsville.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here on an IU football weekend since we couldn't get in anywhere in Bloomington.

Checking in was quick enough. Weird to have to sign some extensive form about making noise in the hallways and rooms.

Good news - the pool was clean and heated, and there were lots of towels around. It is a bit small though. HVAC in room worked ok, although there was no way to just have the fan stay "on" for the white noise. Bathroom clean enough.

Breakfast was ok. Same exact thing both days. Scrambled eggs, biscuits, sausage and gravy. Watch out heart! Basic array of muffins and bagels. Four kinds of cereal. Full fridge of milk and yogurts. There is a bowl of bananas way over on the other side of the room (for some reason).

Was on the second floor, and just walking around, the people above us were thumping and making the floor creak. You'd think people who build hotels would know how to build them so that doesn't happen.

Oddly enough, we stayed in 226, same as the earlier reviewer from a month ago. The shower/tub plug was still broken. I just took it out and set it to the side. Yep, carpet still stained and needs replacement. Some bugs on windowsill. Found two blood stains on pillow case when getting ready for bed. Took the case to the desk in the morning and showed it to the manager (?). You'd think he'd jump at apologizing, or something. I said "Thought you'd want to know", and he said "Thank you very much!" and that was it, so I walked away. Expected to find a comp or discount or something when I checked out, but since I booked via Expedia, I didn't even get a printout. Just told my receipt would be online. No "Thanks for staying with us" or anything.

Only 15 minutes or so to Bloomington, but I'd probably pass on staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Martinsville, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear sjlocke,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am pleased to know that you liked our pool and our breakfast up to par with your expectations. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the cleanliness of the room assigned to you. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Voorhees, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here the second week in October 2013. The advice that was give to us by various contributors was very helpful:
1. Top floor to avoid "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" noise.
2. Windows facing toward the back of the building to avoid noises from the road.
3. Non-smoking.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the rooms were clean. Parking is close to the entryways. The rear of the building faces on a beautiful woodland and field area.
Cons:
Even though we were in a non-smoking area, the odor of stale cigarette smoke was noticeable.
Good Value. I would recommend HIE in Martinsville, IN.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel has been recently sold and is under new management, (So I was told when complaining) and policies have changed. the front desk supervisor, Wendy went above and beyond I felt but her hands were tied for with new GM the front desk supervisor is not able to make any kind of adjustments to bills that would make the guests happy. There were a few of us complaining and unlike with old management the front desk supervisor was not able to accommodate us (3 different rooms) for the issues we had with a/c /heating not working, noise, non smoking rooms (as I specifically asked for in my profile). I was told that she (supervisor) was not able to make any adjustments to my bill that she would notify the GM and have her give me a call on Monday. This is totally unacceptable. In the past when I had issues with the cooling/heating I was moved to another room but on a sold out hotel I was at least given a discount. I don't think that the GM should be the only one to do this. The front desk supervisor and clerks are the ones that have to deal with guest happiness/unpleasantness (as in my case). I didn't even bother waiting on a phone call or calling the GM. The new GM is making this hotel go down hill. I will NEVER stay at this one again. I will pay the higher prices at Bloomington for a much much better stay.

Room Tip: Pay the higher prices at Bloomington it is well worth the service and not the lack of Front desk cle...
NW Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. My last stay was in 2012 and you got to spin a wheel for a treat upon check in. Now they hand you a goody bag of treats. The room was neat and clean and may have been recently remodeled. Unfortunately a girls rugby team was there and it was hard to get any sleep...although that's not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: If you want a view, do not get #315, it looks at the back of the drive up canopy. Adjacent KFC and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Rainy night in the low 40's and no heat. We called the front desk who tried to walk us through turning it on (we were doing it correctly, the unit just didn't work). So, we decide to leave earlier than originally planned because it was too cold to even stay in the room. When checking out I told the front desk clerk about the heat. Without looking up from her computer she said "We are aware of it and are sending maintenance up". Well great, that did a lot to help us! So, I asked for a manager. That's when I was told that the manager lives out of town and is only there through the week and I could take a card and call her next week. The desk clerk was rude and obviously didn't care that we had no heat in a room that we just spend $144/night for (we paid for 2 rooms because of other family members we had with us). I am a business owner and I try to make every effort I can to make sure my customers are happy. And my employees don't say "take a card and call the manager". They give me the customers # and I contact them directly. Terrible customer service all around at this hotel. 3rd floor smells awful as soon as you step off the elevator. Walls are thin and you sound like your going through the floor just walking across it. If you need a hotel in Martinsville, stay anywhere but here or drive to Bloomington. I'm not even going to call the manager, not worth it. I don't want a "canned" apology. Will never stay at Holiday Inn Express again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here but if you HAVE to, don't stay on the 3rd floor. Smells like a bingo hall.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Martinsville, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Catdog71,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We highly value opinions from guests like you as it assists us in our never ending task to better ourselves.

We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with the room condition particularly with the thermostat. Further, we are truly sorry for the poor service our staff has provided you. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed and actions will be made where possible.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity in the future. We value your custom and as always we remain at your disposal.

Dhan M
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

AC/Heat unit didn't work properly.
No noise insulation whatsoever; could hear between rooms and from within rooms when walking halls.
The floor above me was extremely creaky. Someone above was walking around from 5:30-7:30am (just doing normal getting ready type stuff it appeared) but I think it would have been quieter to be in the room with them. The floors were so loud!
Hotel cleanliness was fine and breakfast was fine.
Didn't use pool, so no comments there.
But, based on noise level from just normal activities and the impact it had on sleep, I have to rate this hotel TERRIBLE. For $131 (with tax), I definately expect better than this!

Dear CoupleFromTheFort,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us.

We sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards on most of the amenities. Our aim is to provide the best accommodation possible and we deeply regret that we have failed to exceed or at least meet your expectations on this occasion.

Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We appreciate your comments as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We hope that you give us another chance in the future and allow us to redeem your faith in our products and services.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Martinsville? Share your experiences!