“Very Nice State Park Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turkey Run Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marshall
Turkey Run Inn
You added Turkey Run Inn to your Saves list
8102 East Park Road, Turkey Run State Park, Marshall, IN 47859   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Marshall B&B and Inns
Evansville
“Very Nice State Park Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights after Labor Day in the middle of the week. We were in a room with one queen bed. The room was small but you could tell it had been updated in the recent past. The bathroom had been remodeled with nice tile and new fixtures. The inn is similar to other Indiana park inns and has several sitting rooms and an nice outdoor veranda. My only complaint was that we could hear the TV in the room above us. I don't know how noisy it would be if the inn were full. Overall we really enjoyed staying at Turkey Run. The restaurant was very nice. You are not very close to a town with other dining options so being able to eat there was convenient. We had a great time hiking the trails and looking at the scenery!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I drive a small distance out of our way to Pennsylvania to stay at the Lodge. We are never let down when we expect a quiet, relaxing stay at the lodge. I like to hike the trail and my wife loves to sit in the great room and work on one of the many puzzles. We also like to stay at the lodge around Thanksgiving because it gets you into the mood for holidays.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at the Inn on a recent family vacation. Please, don't confuse Turkey Run State Park with the Inn. The State Park, with its excellent hiking, is fabulous. The Inn is just okay. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the park, and want to duck back to a private shower from time to time, I'd recommend staying at the Inn. The room is small, smelled a little musty, and was crazy humid. It felt like all of the clothes we brought with us soaked up moisture the moment they got into the room. Swimsuits never dried. Cranking the AC helped, but made the room too cold to sleep in. Other than that, the bathroom was awesome - great plumbing, but the hot water could have been improved.

THE COFFEE IN THE ROOM IS TERRIBLE. That may seem like a small complaint, but for people with a full-blown caffeine addiction, this is a major problem.

The hotel is probably due for a remodel. The game room was nice, but the paddles that you have to check out from the desk for ping-pong were falling apart. They have a nice selection of games for rainy days, but could use some maintenance. The same, horrible coffee is served in the lobby.

The restaurant: This was just plain bad. Not really bad, but it's best to equate it to a college dorm cafeteria: There are 3 deep-fried main dishes on the buffet, some sad veggies drenched in butter, and then a ho-hum salad bar that consists of items that probably came out of Gordon Food Service vats. That's really the disappointing thing - for the price paid, it's unacceptable to be served dorm food that wasn't made on premises (there is NO way that the potato salad was made in that kitchen - it's the same thing every deli that every grocery store carries). Breakfast was better, but your best bet is to drive into Rockville, where there are a number of cute restaurants, or much cheaper chain fast food places. Finally found a decent cup of coffee there, too. Normally, I would just bring food with me, but the rooms are so small, there is little place to keep a cooler, and no fridge in the room. Next time - I'm just going to pitch a tent if I want to stay in the park.

Pros: Location, room bathroom, indoor pool, lounge areas
Cons: Restaurant, Musty air, small, upkeep needs improvement, bad coffee

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night while touring a couple of the covered bridge routes by motorcycle. We had a nice stay, a few minor complaints but if you take into account the age of the inn, they are minimal. During our stay it was HOT, near 100 degrees. We had a room on the 3rd floor and found that the hallways on that floor, and only that floor, are not air conditioned so it felt like walking in an attic. Once in the room, though, the a/c worked very well and we were comfortable. The room smelled a bit musty but I think a lot of that was due to the a/c being on all the time during the recent heat wave. The king bed was also a bit uncomfortable, I ended up on the couch for a few hours. The pool area was very nice and refreshing after being out in the heat all day and the restaurant buffet was also very good. Be sure to give yourself a lot of time to walk on the trails of Turkey Run, they shouldn't be missed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We have stayed at Turkey Run Inn periodically for fourteen years now. What caught me off guard on this visit was the restuarant. The ONLY option for all three meals is buffet. Breakfast/lunch/dinner were 7.99/8.99/12.99 respectively. Salad bar only for dinner was 7.49. These prices do not include drinks, tax, or tip. Therefore, dinner would run approximately $18.70 per adult with drink, tax, and tip. Again, this is the only option unless you did salad bar only which would still run around $12. Again, all three meals are buffet only. My family does not need three buffet meals a day. In fact, we typically split two or three meals between the four of us at restuarants due to portion sizes being so large. A family of four with a 10 year old and a 5 year old would spend around $125 for three meals at the Turkey Run Inn restuarant. There are no other restuarants or food options within about 10 miles, so we were basically stuck. The first evening, I ended up skipping the entire meal, while my wife had the salad bar and water only. My paying daughter also had salad bar and water only. I did leave a 15% tip, but that is far below my customary 25-40%. The next morning, we all ate breakfast, but we did not go back for lunch.

I suggest that the restuarant offer other options, either ala cart items or maybe a one-trip salad bar option. The first night, I was not feeling good, and wasn't sure if I was hungry or not. I wasn't about to spend $12 to see if I was hungry. I told my wife that this will probably be the last time that we stay at the inn if they don't change their dining options. While the lodging prices are fine, the restuarant options are horrible and they really take advantage of the fact that there are minimal alternative dining options in the area.

The next time that we begin looking into staying at Turkey Run Inn, I will be calling the restuarant first to see what their prices are before I investigate lodging prices and availability.

Again, I am very disappointed in the dining options at Turkey Run Inn.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rparker611, Manager at Turkey Run Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
I apologize we were unable to meet your expectations regarding meal options in our restaurant. We have recently experienced conditions beyond our control in the restaurant. We are working diligently to return to our full menus. Our expectations are to have that back in place within one week.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

If this wasn't a state park facility I would have rated it terrible. First, our room (room 200) was located just off the stairs and across from the elevator. We were slightly lost at first as room 200 is not listed in the directory at the top of the stairs (you know, rooms 201-213 to the right, rooms 214-228 to the left). After finding our room I realized it wasn't listed because it was originally someone's office that had been turned into a guest room (The fire escape plan on the door listed the room as an office.). At least it had a bathroom - more on that later. Second, there was a window next to the bed (that wasn't latched closed) which opened up to the public veranda. Not surprisingly the veranda is quite a popular spot to drink and be loud. There were cheap vinyl mini blinds over the window but nothing that made me feel like the room was private. If you chose, you could open the window and walk out to the veranda. Now, the bathroom.....there was hot water but just barely and the shower did not drain well. And, there was another window in the bathroom that wasn't latched closed. At least you couldn't walk from the veranda through this window into the bathroom. Now, the best surprise. About 8:20 in the evening my wife and I hear someone at the door. This isn't too surprising as the stairs and elevator have been noisy all evening. But this person is trying to open our door with a key. I got up and went to the door, meaning just to tell them they had the wrong room. I opened the door and was greeted by two shocked women who asked what I was doing in their room. They also had keys to room 200 and wanted to know what I had done to their belongings. After a few minutes of conversation they stomped off to the front desk and I never heard from them or the front desk. At check out the next day the desk clerk asked how our stay was and we told her fine, except - fill in story written above. The desk clerk didn't even acknowledge what we said, she turned to her computer, said we were all settled up and then turned away.

Room Tip: Avoid room 200
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Rparker611, Manager at Turkey Run Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you so much for informing us of your concerns during your stay at Turkey Run Inn. Your comfort and privacy is of the utmost concern for all of us here at the Inn.
I have directed our housekeeping and maintenance staff regarding the items you have listed and will follow up with them personally in the next few days. I am confident that we have addressed the concerns you have listed and would like to invite you back for a stay to check us out.
Sincerely
Rob Parker
Assistant General Manager
Santa Claus, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Some friends had recommended Turkey Run, and we always camp, never staying in the Lodges, but my wife and I just wanted to check this place out before we committed to a weekend campout with friends, so we stayed in the lodge a couple of days before Memorial weekend. First of all the hiking trails were fantastic. We stayed wet, hiking up a creekbed on one trail, but for a very short hike close to the lodge, the short trails were awsome. I grew up in the west, in the mountains, so I don't find good hiking trails in Indiana often, but these reminded me of the grand canyon on a miniture scale.
Returning to the lodge, removing our wet gear, and going to the cozy restaurant was a treat. I was surprised at how good the food was, I was expecting senior citizen food, but was fed a good selection at a good price. We stayed up until 1am putting together a jig saw puzzle in the relaxing living room. I would love to bring the whole family & stay in the cabins, which could be adjoining for about $70 each. Very accomidating staff, no complaints here.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms inexpensive but cabin rooms better yet
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Turkey Run Inn? Share your experiences!