“Great place to visit!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Broadway Historic Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 61 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: INDIANA'S OLDEST TAVERN Serving our friends for over 178 years! Casual dining, lively, friendly atmosphere, in a historic setting. BBQ Ribs, Pasta, Steaks,more Live entertainment!
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Great place to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have enjoyed several occasions at this historic inn over the past years. The broadway tavern is a fun bar with interesting circular antiques coolers for beer. Prices are very reasonable and bar food delicious. Dinners are excellent. Want to go back for prime rib weekends. It is family owned and we got to meet the owner whom we had met on a visit 22 years ago when she first purchased this oldest inn in Indiana. We look forward to returning for a weekend when the new renovation of rooms will be complete. The restaurant is very nice and lunch on the patio is charming.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Indiana
“The Goddesses Gather Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

For many years, our group of women meet here on a weekly basis...every Thursday night. The management and waitstaff understand our 'goddessness' and offer personalized service and jolly companionship. We begin at 5 p.m. and sometimes even stay past 7 pm. ;) Did I say we may be a more mature group than others? The chefs come up with new, sometimes familiar, and exciting dishes to try nearly every time we visit. The fried green tomatoes come to mind...they were simply the best I have ever eaten. This is a place for friends to gather and feel at home. A woman by herself need not feel uncomfortable in the bar or restaurant. Usually, everyone is included in a conversation. This restaurant is striving to be more than a pub food sort of place...there is an effort to bring special items to the menu. I recommend giving it a try!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Had some of the best ribs ever the other night....can't stop thinking about them. Not sure if it's on the regular menu or not, however. Awesome history and a unique venue. I'll be back my next visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Historic tavern haunted?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We didn't see any ghosts but did enjoy a couple of cold beers. The hotel is under construction so there are no reservations for overnight stays at this time. The bar is next to the kitchen and we could hear he kitchen staff being unprofessional in the back and our food was overly salted, I couldn't eat all of mine. I would go back for beers but not the food.

Visited August 2014
Grove City, Ohio
“Could've, should've been better... wasn't!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We just got back from eating at The Broadway Historic Tavern. The atmosphere is really nice - It's an old time, historic pub/saloon/restaurant. We were greeted promptly and seated immediately. The server was very amicable and was helpful with the menu - She was knowledgeable.
My wife got the vegetable balsamic sandwich that was available as a wrap or on a ciabatta roll. She ordered the ciabatta. I ordered their "Famous Pat LaFrieda's Chopped Steak Burger". I ordered it "medium" and "all the way" (with lettuce, tomato,pickles, onion, and cheddar cheese).
After over a half an hour of waiting (and the table that was seated after us being served), we received our meals. My wife's sandwich came out as a wrap, and my burger came out with cheese and pickles only, on a soaked-through bun. The burger was WELL DONE! The server took everything back and complained that she told the kitchen, but it was there fault. She came back to the table to let us know that they were out of ciabatta bread (over 35 minutes after we ordered).
My burger was still dry and well done and my wife got the croissant roll for her sandwich.
Here's the result... My wife's sandwich was delicious. She enjoyed it very much (once she got it). My burger was overdone, and terribly dry, however they would not take it back. I ate it because I didn't want to wait another 40 minutes and didn't want to spend another $10.
There was no apologies, no nothing! We won't be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere