“A lovely place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solomon Mier Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ligonier
Solomon Mier Manor
Save Saved
You added Solomon Mier Manor to your Saves list
508 S. Cavin St., Ligonier, IN 46767   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Ligonier B&B and Inns
Indianapolis
“A lovely place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We booked our stay at Solomon Mier Manor online after seeing the beautiful pictures. We weren't disappointed! This is a lovely home! We could spot it a mile away coming down the street! We were planning to spend our days in Shipshewana, and the manor is about 20 miles south on the same road that runs through Shipshewana---not a bad drive.

Amanda (the innkeeper) was present when we arrived and was quite pleasant. We paid for our room and then she showed us around the downstairs and to our room upstairs. There's a little mini fridge in the upstairs foyer with water and soda for guests, and she brought us warm cookies! The next night we weren't home yet when she brought the cookies up for all the guests (we came home around 8, and she brings the cookies around 7:30), but she left them on a covered plate for us. Not warm anymore, but still---mmm!

We stayed in the Rose Room, which was very nicely decorated. I loved the little stained glass window overlooking the staircase! The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't my favorite---kind of flat for a side sleeper like me. But I'm honestly a lousy sleeper, anyway, so I'm not sure my review of the bed should hold much weight! There were toiletries, a nice TV with cable and a DVD player, and all the in-room amenities we needed. Except maybe a luggage rack or a dresser---those would be helpful additions to the Rose Room! The hot water in the shower was a little tricky, too, and the room was a bit warm (but not terribly uncomfortable) despite having the A/C unit running. But it's a hundred-year-old, two-story home. I grew up in one of those---they do tend to run a little warm on the upper floors.

Breakfast was home cooked and delicious, even if it wasn't the fanciest fare (though the silver and rich napkins made it feel like a fancy meal!). The first morning was chilled fruit, French toast, bacon, and juice. The second morning was watermelon, a delicious egg, ham, and croissant casserole, scones and muffins, and juice. Amanda joined us for breakfast and chatted with the guests. We learned a little bit more about the house, how it had come into their possession, and a little about Solomon Mier. She also had some books on the topic in the parlor.

Some B&Bs are super-duper fancy and shiny---this isn't one of those. But that's OK! This one is warm and historic, comfortable, a good value, and a really nice place to stay. We felt welcome and well cared for. We'd stay here again!

Room Tip: The Rose Room has a King-size bed and an electric fireplace (which are nice), but only a shower (whi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a quiet night's stay at this amazing old mansion. We had the place to ourselves which made it even more special. Lots of room to relax, guest rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Tom and little William greeted us and showed us our room. When Amanda returned from her errands she sought us out to make sure Tom had made us comfortable. Breakfast was filling and we enjoyed chatting with Amanda. Shipshawana and surrounding Amish country is a short drive away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Merrionette Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This was our third visit to the Solomon Meir B&B and it won't be our last. We even brought along another family member who was very impressed with the manor and the antiques, the breakfasts and the innkeepers. Amanda is just so sweet and greeted us with hugs! Tom is as kind as ever and William just gets cuter every time we see him. Amanda goes out of her way to make us feel welcome and answers our questions about the Manor very patiently. We feel so at home there and stay up til the wee hours in the parlor and the music room just absorbing the history of the house. We always stay two nights and hate to leave. Don't miss the chance to stay here if you are in the area. John and Cathy Krebs

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Troy, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I surprised my adult daughter with her first visit to a bed and breakfast. When we were driving by she said, "look mom at that beautiful colonial house." I said, "you like it?" "Yes I do!!!" "Well, we are staying there for the night". We had such a good time. Loved all the unique designs in the structure of the home and the antiques. The winter has been a little hard on the exterior paint but nothing a little warm weather and muscle power can't handle. Amanda was a lovely hostess and there to help with any questions or needs. We will return with our husbands hopefully this spring or summer.

Room Tip: We had the opportunity to look at all the rooms. They were all lovely. All you need to decide is how...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a potentially beautiful historic inn. The manor is beginning to fall in disrepair. It is definitely in need of a paint job. The exterior paint is peeling as are the banisters on the front porch.
I do need to say the interior is clean and in descent condition . I wish I could give this a better rating. The problem is the innkeeper . Amanda tries to be nice, but she gives the feeling you are an iannoyance in her day.
When we first arrived she was in the foyer. She seemed in a great hurry to get her money due. I asked if she minded if we put our luggage in the room. She agreed followed with then you can come down and pay. Fine, we paid. Next we asked what to see in the area. She said she didn't really know. OK so much for that. Next we asked where to eat. She stated they only had Mexican food in town. At this point we gave up and decided we were on our own. We found an Amish restaurant 15 minutes away. There was another fabulous Amish restaurant 15 minutes in another direction as well . As for what to do there was plenty. Lots of shops and a beautiful Amish area to discover as well as an Apple festival. Great fun, food and culture. Even a fabulous parade! Another guest told us about the festival at breakfast. Amanda was there and stated once again she didn't know much about it and had not attended in a long time.
The rooms are nice and clean with soft sheets. Unfortunately the inn sits on a highway. Very noisy and bright all night. It was very warm when we were at the inn. Tried to turn on the air conditioning, but it was on a timer so it was very hot all night.Toiletries: She has some lotion in a large dispenser in the room for guest to use. This seems unsanitary to me. I don't want to use lotion several others have used. The inn seems to be on a tight budget .
There is a mini fridge upstairs. She didn't tell us about it. We didn't discover it until the next day. When we checked in she told us very little. As for those warm cookies she talks about. I didn't see them the first day as they were on the mini fridge. She does not bring them to the room. I did see them the second night. She put out two plates wrapped in Saran wrap with four cookies. Not warm.
The gourmet breakfast does not exist. The first day was watermelon and an awful casserole. The second day semi-thawed fruit and burned pancakes. Not impressed. She claimed the fruit was suppose to be semi- frosted. There is minimal crystal and no beautiful china and silver. Maybe I have been spoiled by other B and B's
I did go for a walk about town after asking the history of Mier Manor. PS She doesn't like talking about the house or it's history. If you should choose this manor for some unknown reason there is a book downstairs with the history. As we walked about town I found Laura's Iinn in Ligonier. One street back. Some ladies were just leaving Laura's and said they love it. I do plan to do a girlfriend stop to this area next year. I will not be returning to Solomon Mier. Laura was gracious enough to give me a tour of her inn. I will be staying there instead. She has the beautiful china and silver. Can't wait.
On a final note. Amanda is busy on Sundays. She asked us to come to breakfast earlier than usual. It would help her out. Wow, so much for relaxing! At $129 I expect more from an innkeeper.

Room Tip: I saw all of the rooms. I guess I would say the rose room bc it was not on the highway. Honestly the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Owner at Solomon Mier Manor, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I am very sorry that you felt so neglected. It is always my intention to meet every guests needs. I wish you had let me know you were so unhappy with your stay I would have gladly refunded you your money.
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Beautiful place, owners are very nice...awesome breakfast...if you're a place off the beaten path this is the place. Close enough to all the doings in Noble County! Would definitely stay here again! The drive through the countryside is very peaceful and calming.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is a beautiful, old mansion with lots of character. The space is immense. We didn't even have time to really enjoy the space, there are so many antiques and interesting pieces of furniture to look at.
We stayed in the Ameila room for one night. Our room was very large, with two queen beds, a sitting area, window air conditioner, ceiling fan, TV and dvd player. We also had our own bathroom with a shower/bath combination.
Here is a personal preferences that we have, but it didn't take away from the pleasure of staying at this B & B; the bathroom has carpet, we are not fans of carpet in the bathroom, but it matched the decor.
The bed was very comfortable with soft sheets. The bath towels were nice and thick.
A bonus was that Tom and Amanda offered fresh cookies at night and a small refridgerator with water and soda pop in it.
They offered our choice of a breakfast time from 7-9a.m. and had breakfast ready for us. It was delicious and the perfect amount.
We enjoyed having a few moments to talk with Tom & Amanda before we left to hear more about the house.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Solomon Mier Manor? Share your experiences!