“mom and daughter get-a-way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Solomon Mier Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ligonier
Solomon Mier Manor
You added Solomon Mier Manor to your Saves list
508 S. Cavin St., Ligonier, IN 46767   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Ligonier B&B and Inns
Troy, Ohio
“mom and daughter get-a-way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I surprised my adult daughter with her first visit to a bed and breakfast. When we were driving by she said, "look mom at that beautiful colonial house." I said, "you like it?" "Yes I do!!!" "Well, we are staying there for the night". We had such a good time. Loved all the unique designs in the structure of the home and the antiques. The winter has been a little hard on the exterior paint but nothing a little warm weather and muscle power can't handle. Amanda was a lovely hostess and there to help with any questions or needs. We will return with our husbands hopefully this spring or summer.

Room Tip: We had the opportunity to look at all the rooms. They were all lovely. All you need to decide is how...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a potentially beautiful historic inn. The manor is beginning to fall in disrepair. It is definitely in need of a paint job. The exterior paint is peeling as are the banisters on the front porch.
I do need to say the interior is clean and in descent condition . I wish I could give this a better rating. The problem is the innkeeper . Amanda tries to be nice, but she gives the feeling you are an iannoyance in her day.
When we first arrived she was in the foyer. She seemed in a great hurry to get her money due. I asked if she minded if we put our luggage in the room. She agreed followed with then you can come down and pay. Fine, we paid. Next we asked what to see in the area. She said she didn't really know. OK so much for that. Next we asked where to eat. She stated they only had Mexican food in town. At this point we gave up and decided we were on our own. We found an Amish restaurant 15 minutes away. There was another fabulous Amish restaurant 15 minutes in another direction as well . As for what to do there was plenty. Lots of shops and a beautiful Amish area to discover as well as an Apple festival. Great fun, food and culture. Even a fabulous parade! Another guest told us about the festival at breakfast. Amanda was there and stated once again she didn't know much about it and had not attended in a long time.
The rooms are nice and clean with soft sheets. Unfortunately the inn sits on a highway. Very noisy and bright all night. It was very warm when we were at the inn. Tried to turn on the air conditioning, but it was on a timer so it was very hot all night.Toiletries: She has some lotion in a large dispenser in the room for guest to use. This seems unsanitary to me. I don't want to use lotion several others have used. The inn seems to be on a tight budget .
There is a mini fridge upstairs. She didn't tell us about it. We didn't discover it until the next day. When we checked in she told us very little. As for those warm cookies she talks about. I didn't see them the first day as they were on the mini fridge. She does not bring them to the room. I did see them the second night. She put out two plates wrapped in Saran wrap with four cookies. Not warm.
The gourmet breakfast does not exist. The first day was watermelon and an awful casserole. The second day semi-thawed fruit and burned pancakes. Not impressed. She claimed the fruit was suppose to be semi- frosted. There is minimal crystal and no beautiful china and silver. Maybe I have been spoiled by other B and B's
I did go for a walk about town after asking the history of Mier Manor. PS She doesn't like talking about the house or it's history. If you should choose this manor for some unknown reason there is a book downstairs with the history. As we walked about town I found Laura's Iinn in Ligonier. One street back. Some ladies were just leaving Laura's and said they love it. I do plan to do a girlfriend stop to this area next year. I will not be returning to Solomon Mier. Laura was gracious enough to give me a tour of her inn. I will be staying there instead. She has the beautiful china and silver. Can't wait.
On a final note. Amanda is busy on Sundays. She asked us to come to breakfast earlier than usual. It would help her out. Wow, so much for relaxing! At $129 I expect more from an innkeeper.

Room Tip: I saw all of the rooms. I guess I would say the rose room bc it was not on the highway. Honestly the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Owner at Solomon Mier Manor, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I am very sorry that you felt so neglected. It is always my intention to meet every guests needs. I wish you had let me know you were so unhappy with your stay I would have gladly refunded you your money.
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Beautiful place, owners are very nice...awesome breakfast...if you're a place off the beaten path this is the place. Close enough to all the doings in Noble County! Would definitely stay here again! The drive through the countryside is very peaceful and calming.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is a beautiful, old mansion with lots of character. The space is immense. We didn't even have time to really enjoy the space, there are so many antiques and interesting pieces of furniture to look at.
We stayed in the Ameila room for one night. Our room was very large, with two queen beds, a sitting area, window air conditioner, ceiling fan, TV and dvd player. We also had our own bathroom with a shower/bath combination.
Here is a personal preferences that we have, but it didn't take away from the pleasure of staying at this B & B; the bathroom has carpet, we are not fans of carpet in the bathroom, but it matched the decor.
The bed was very comfortable with soft sheets. The bath towels were nice and thick.
A bonus was that Tom and Amanda offered fresh cookies at night and a small refridgerator with water and soda pop in it.
They offered our choice of a breakfast time from 7-9a.m. and had breakfast ready for us. It was delicious and the perfect amount.
We enjoyed having a few moments to talk with Tom & Amanda before we left to hear more about the house.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Solomon Mier is a gorgeous, large mansion located right near downtown Ligonier. The manor is absolutely amazing with its beauty, furnishings, original woodwork, painted murals, mosaic tiling, and all kinds of hidden antique details and surprises to find. My husband and I stayed in the Amelia room for our annual Shipshewana trip over Memorial Day. The Amelia room is beautiful and comfortable. The beds were outstanding and so comfortable I fell asleep instantly with none of the "this is not my bed at home" awkwardness. Amanda and her husband hand-delivered delicious cookies in the evening and gave us advice on where to eat in town. There are a lot of Hispanic businesses in the area and we ate at a taqueria a few blocks down. It was delicious. This is a sleepy town, so there is not much to do in the evening but relax, which was fine with me at the time. We were invited to look at the other rooms in the manor and while they had their own charm, the Amelia room felt bigger and had more amenities (such as a bathtub). So I loved the room we were in, but might have not been as pleased with a different room. It would be great if there were more things to do around town after 5 or so. It would also be great if the manor was less expensive - then I could stay multiple nights! The service was great, breakfast in the morning was incredible! The manor was also exceptionally clean, which made it even more impressive. I cannot wait to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

This is a grand place to stay with many antiques and pictures. The rooms were spacious and beds very comfortable. They went to a lot of rouble to ensure we had a good breakfast. The town is very quiet and closes about 8.00 p.m. including anywhere to eat except for fast food type places. It is also a “dry area” so don’t ask for a glass of wine. Our host arranged a meal with an Amish family which was a great experience.

• Liked — Hstory and atmosphere of Manor
  • Disliked — Nowhere to eat in the evening
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Solomon Mier Manor? Share your experiences!