“Not a pleasant stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lebanon
Northwest Indiana
“Not a pleasant stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was very disappointed in our recent stay in Lebanon, IN at this Comfort Inn. I killed a bug that resembled a German roach but I killed it so fast with my boot that there was nothing left to examine. The bathroom walls were in desperate need of cleaning and painting. All of this for the bargain price of $111.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DebiC87, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are under new management and have recently done a lot of renovations. We invite you to come back. I assure you, your experience will be memorable!
Comfort Inn Lebanon, Indiana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

When I became a member of the Choice Hotels reward program their hotels were among the best around. I'm really considering shredding my card because more and more hotels such as this one are my typical experience.

I arrived very late (around midnight) and didn't have a reservation. After checking in I discovered the hotel didn't have an elevator. Perhaps my first question next time will not be, "Do you have a room" but rather, "Do you have an elevator?"

After a long day a hot shower would have been welcomed; however, such was not to be. I could get more water pressure pouring water out of a glass over my head than the shower provided thanks to poor water pressure. Additionally, the water was lukewarm at best. Another unpleasant surprise was a cigarette burn in the bed covers -- I say "surprise" because this is a 100% non-smoking facility! The next morning's breakfast was pretty sparse as well, nowhere nearly as well-stocked as other Choice properties.

The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was the next morning, when I woke to find my bill had been put under my door. That is very typical of Choice Hotels and several other chains I frequent, but the issue I have is that the "do not disturb" sign I had put on my door had ALSO been removed from my door and slid under the door with the bill. That is inexcusable. Taking a "do not disturb" sign off a guest's door is the worst possible way of telling a guest they were not welcomed.

I'm beginning to have serious doubts about the Comfort brand given repeated negative experiences at facilities throughout the country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

First, we only stay here for the Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400, so I can't talk about any other time of the year.

Typical of most hotels, they jack up the prices when there is an event in the area, but they do not provide any additional services to justify the price gouging. You would think that since the visitors that night are heading out early in the morning, and they gouged you as much as $100 extra for the room, that they would have breakfast room open early -- ha!

Front desk: it's a family run motel. Husband and wife were a little hard to get along with at first, but as you become a regular they take better care of you. I always get a pretty good room. Evening/night clerk: he's horrible. Not a family member, and is slow and not very responsive to customer needs. Other clerk, Susan, is a doll. She really is helpful and does what she can to make your stay enjoyable.

Rooms: mine have been clean, and when things don't work they fix it or move you to a new room.

Cleaning staff: iffy. They don't report blown light bulbs, always turn off the air conditioner in the room when they are done so your room is hot when you return that evening, and on my last visit they never reported that the safe key was missing, resulting in having to move next door to have a safe in my room. Beware, they charge you $1 even if you don't use the safe. Complain and they remove it from the bill.

Food: plenty, nourishing, tasty. Typical waffles, eggs, sausage, etc.

Final comment: because of the price increases I tried the EconoLodge across the street last weekend and was pleased that I did.

• Stayed May 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The professionalism of the front desk staff is definitely in question. When we arrived we had to ring a bell to get their attention. Then when they came out they were wearing basketball shorts and socks. That put me off to start.

The first room we were assigned was locked and we couldn't get in with our key card. We were quickly assigned a new room. The new room was pleasantly large, and had a nice microwave and refrigerator. The beds were comfortable, the pillows less so. The bathroom was nice, however the shower could use a facelift.

Carpet looked brand new in the hallways and lobby. The pool looked closed (lights off), but we were not planning on using it anyway. Nice sized from the looks of things.

Breakfast area was nice, and had warm food including eggs, sausage and waffles. All tasted pretty good and got us off to a good start.

I think the hotel could use a little bit of an upgrade, or a drop in cost, I am thinking about $69 is the right price for this place (we paid 79 on a AAA discount).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and compliments about our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your last stay with us. We are now under new management and have recently done some renovations and we invite you to come back to stay with us again!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When checking in, I asked the attendant-Robert H (who's card says front desk manager) if they accepted coupons to which he said "we don't have coupons here." I said "I mean the
coupons from those books you get at the gas stations" He said "I don't know". (duh) I said I'd have to look and see if there was one in the books I had in the car when I go out for the rest of our stuff. He checked us in at 89.99+taxes. We brought the rest of our stuff to the room and I DID find a coupon for 65.99 then and brought it to him (about 10 or so min later) He said he couldn't override the system and to just let them know about it the next morning and it should be fine. So, the next day, Josh (the morning clerk) said they wouldn't honor the coupon because that was only for upstairs rooms. Why did Robert give us a 1st floor room when I told him I was checking for a coupon? Why did he lead me to believe there shouldn't be a problem getting the cheaper rate the next day? Why was the word "upstairs" NEVER mentioned when we checked in but the word "coupon was mentioned at least 3-4 times. I wouldn't have even bothered to write this but the 2nd clerk-Josh was so condescending that it upset me more than the money part. I had to have him point out the word "upstairs" on the coupon because it was so small. It took him several seconds and then he pointed and waved his finger at me and said "Ah! You see the price but you don't read the rest!" and then jabbed his finger at the small print. He also said "Do I believe you or my employee? I told him I don't lie and the money wasn't that important but I felt the I should have gotten the lower rate since I'd stated I may have a coupon and produced it shortly after check in. I'm starting to wonder if we were given a 1st floor on purpose so I COULDN'T use the coupon. I DO know that Robert lied to us because he lead me to believe they'd take care of everything in the morning and even said he'd make a note of it to which I said thanks. He did make a note but I didn't see it till the next morning. He wrote that he told me it would remain at 89.99. He's a dirty lier because he never told me that and Josh is an arrogant jerk who seems think he's superior to white women!!

Room Tip: Make sure if you have a coupon to present it when checking in and don't believe a word they tell...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mpls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I'm never quite sure what I will get when I stay at a Comfort Inn. Some have been great others should have made me never go back to one. As always large rooms, for the most part clean, the fan in the bathroom needs some major repair. The rooms need some basic maintainence if you want a 5 star rating. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast is good but somewhat crowded. The staff member was very good. This location is hard to find when coming in at night. The sign is not lit up by the corner.

Room Tip: back side room if you can
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

At night when exiting from the I65 motorway a few more signs would be helpful. The motel can be found next to a large firework store. Reception is huge and there's an indoor pool. Large, comfortable rooms. Breakfast was basic using plastic knives and spoons and not not enough seating at peak times. Friendly and courteous staff. Reasonable price.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the hotel away from the motorway
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!