“Great value for a one-night stay if you don't expect anything fancy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Stone Lodge & Grille

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leavenworth
Old Stone Lodge & Grille
You added Old Stone Lodge & Grille to your Saves list
6908 South State Rd. 66, I-64, Exit 92, Leavenworth, IN 47137 (Formerly Days Inn Carefree)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leavenworth
Midlothian, VA
“Great value for a one-night stay if you don't expect anything fancy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years back when it was still a Days Inn and still spend the night here whenever I'm passing through. The motel is currently under new ownership and they are doing still renovations, but all of the things I liked about it before are still the same. It may not look like a whole lot on the outside (it is a small two-story motel located across from a truck stop), but it is a good value for those looking for a place to stop for the night and not expecting anything real fancy.

The rooms and furnishings are clean and somewhat outdated, but at least the bed is comfortable and the linens were all clean. They also provide a free coffeemaker with coffee in the room. The only drawback on my recent visit was that the wi-fi wasn't working and the phones were not yet installed by the new owners, but that didn't bother me too much since I was just staying for one night. The TV selection is limited to just a few channels (some local stations from Louisville along with FX, CNN and the Weather Channel) but I don't watch much during overnight stops except for news and weather so that was fine by me. The area around the hotel is mainly used as an overnight stop for OTR truck drivers (who usually sleep in their cabs) but I wasn't bothered by that either as I still got a good night's rest.

There is also a restaurant downstairs (only open during the day) and an upstairs lounge which was still closed on my last visit. However, there is a Pilot travel plaza across the road that has a Subway inside and there is a Country Style restaurant next door to it. There is also the Overlook Restaurant a few miles down the road which is worth checking out for the incredible view of the Ohio River.

This may not seem like an ideal stay for most people, but this will fit the bill for solo traveler's looking for an inexpensive place to spend the night. The best part is being located right off of I-64. Hopefully on my next visit the new owners will have finished the renovations and have the phones and wi-fi working again. But I'd still rather stay here than anyplace else in the area just for the value and location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Clearwater, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I had booked a room for some relatives who where visiting. The Days Inn was the closest hotel to me. I tried to book online but they wouldn't accept online reservations at that time. So I called the hotel directly. First I was told there were no rooms available for the 4 nights. But, when I called a couple days later, the clerk said she'd make the reservation. I told them that the relatives were very elderly and requested a room on the first floor. She did not take a credit card number or give me a confirmation number for the reservation.

Since I had not been there before, I stopped in to examine a room. I also wanted to to ensure that the room was reserved since it appeared they were booked for the weekend. It was at that time that I learned that it was booked for only 3 nights instead of 4.

Since it was a good value (AARP), I kept the reservation. When I examined the room I was thrilled to find that it looked and smelled clean.

When the relatives arrived, they gave us a smoking room (although the reservation was for a non-smoking), since apparently the other room hadn't been cleaned yet. However, we were able to get a non-smokling room on the first floor in short order.

All in all, it was a good room for the money, if you can get past the non-standard reservation process.

• Liked — Good value and clean
  • Disliked — irregular room reservations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Check in was slow. The front desk clerk also doubled as waitress in the lobby restaurant and she had to finish serving someone's dinner before she could check us in.

We had a reservation for a queen bed. The room we got only had a standard size double bed. The room was small and old fashioned.

The air conditioner was hard to adjust because it was so close to the large TV cabinet.

Last week we stayed at the Days Inn on the east side of Louisville, about an hour away. It was less expensive, newer, much larger room, and very easy check in and out. That Days Inn was a much better value. But if you pass by Leavenworth, eat a meal at the Overlook Restaurant. It's 4 miles off the interstate, but the view over the Ohio River is worth the short side trip. Great view watching barges on the river.

Travelers are raving about these Leavenworth hotels

Been to Old Stone Lodge & Grille? Share your experiences!