“A decent place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lawrenceburg
Argosy Casino and Hotel
You added Argosy Casino and Hotel to your Saves list
400 East Center Street, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lawrenceburg
Ohio
“A decent place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Hollywood casino (formerly the Argosy Casino) has a hotel attached to the casino. The room are large with flat screen TV's and ample room. The beds are comfy with so-so pillows. The casino is a bit of a walk from the hotel, but it is an indoor walkway, so you won't get too cold or wet! The staff was very friendly and a noon check-out was not a problem!
If you want to enjoy an overnight at the casino/hotel, it is well worth the money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
clermont florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The room was clean and fresh. There was a couch and chair which pleased my husband because he likes to watch TV without getting into bed. The sink area was a little small for toiletries for two people. Everything worked fine and we will go again. There is free coffee availabe in the lobby 24/7 and they even have decaf.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

The bed had bedbugs along edge of mattress, We called front desk and were moved to another floor, Smoke and bad odors filled the hallways. Front desk girl was rude, said she was "new" and ignored our complaints of mildew in bathroom. A real flophouse.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Wadsworth, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Wife and I were looking for an anniversary get away, and I suggested we try a casino. We've been to Vegas a few times, but aren't big gamblers. We considered West Virginia and Detroit, but decided to give Indiana a try. We are not smokers, so I was a little concerned about that, but we didn't find it to be an issue. The hotel has non-smoking floors, and we didn't spend any time in the common areas of the hotel. Arrival was nice, with valet parking. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2:00pm, so we checked our luggage and headed to the casino. A bit of a walk, but we are only in our 40's so it was no problem.

First impression was things were neat and clean. Most services like resturants, lounges and shops were on the way to the casino, and there were enough choices for eating and drinking. Casino was nicer then I expected, with plenty of slots from $.01 to $1.00 and up. Plenty of table games, video poker and blackjack, as well as a nice looking poker room.

We spent a few hours playing slots, and didn't come out in too bad a shape. Headed back to see if our room was ready, and checked in. Room was a nice size, king bed and sofa and chair. 42" plasma tv was nice, but the bathroom was small. Very clean, comfortable bed and nicely decorated room. Room rate for a Saturday night wasn't cheap, but location was ideal to walk back and forth the the casino.

Had a breif "nap" and then got dressed for dinner. Had drinks and appetizers comp'd at the VIP Producers Lounge including very nice size shrimp, then off to the Celebrity Grill for dinner. Had BOGO coupon for dinner, and we had a very nice meal and drinks for under $40.00.

Back to the casino for more slots, and ended up leaving for the night up about $60.00. Again I must say that once inside the casino, I could have been any place on earth, expect for the tell tale "average" clientel. This ain't Monaco! That said I felt this was a nice clean safe casino. Cocktail waiteress were around frequently, and finding a non smoking area wasn't a problem. I wouldn't guess this would be a place to strike it rich, but that wasn't my expectation. There was live entertainment at Hollywood on the Roof, as well as a Boogie Nights Party at the Dance Club, but we decided to head back to our room and "anniversary".

Got up Sunday morning and headed to the breakfast buffet which we had a free coupon for. Omlet bar, Crepe's made to order, plenty of fresh fruit and other breakfast choices. I'd say it was an above average buffet, and it was the most average meal we had.

One final spin at the slots, and we got away up about $40, which paid for dinner. All in all a succesful visit, and I'd consider returning or reccomending to a friend.

The hotel is just that with no other ammenities such as spa, pool, excercise room, room service etc... For some this is an issue, but we only intended to sleep in it. Bed was comfortable, everything was clean, and the HD plasma was nice for football games.

Only tip I have is to consider a "package' with the room, or join the casino "players club'. This is how we got valet parking, VIP Club, meal comps. etc...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Waynesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I felt compelled after my weekend trip to Argossy (Now Hollywood) to write my first review ever. The casino is absolutely beautiful - especially for an Indiana Casino. I have gambled all over the U.S., Indiana, on cruises and in Canada/Bahamas. No question it is a nice casino - as close to Vegas as you will get in Indiana. We went Friday to stay for my husband's 40th birthday. We have stayed at hotely twice before - all comped nights. Food always comped. Love the buffet and the new Marquis Grill (used to be Chart Room when it was Argossy - they have really classed it up - service is hit or miss though).

We usually gamble about $1000 between us each trip (and are happy to bring back 3/4 of that or more) if that gives you an idea on how they are on comps. We get far better comps at Horseshoe Indiana (formerly Caesars) where we go about 3-5 times per year. A lot of people complaint that the slots there are SUPER TIGHT. I don't think they are any worse than any other Indiana casino.

Here's why I'm writing. My husband wanted to go for the noon deep stack tournament on 8/20. They simply do not have enough staff to handle registering 960+ people. They had like 2 or 3 people working registration - people lined up for an hour plus all around the bottom floor of the casino. They knew that many people could enter as this is not the first massive turnout they have seen. Yet not enough staff - so that it was 1 or 1:30 before my husband could sit down - and he was there well before noon. On a related note, they NEVER have enough cashier windows open or staff. Lines are RIDICULOUS and I'm comparing them to casinos all over the country and outside it. I just don't know what that casino is thinking from a customer service standpoint.

The main complaint I have though is with the hotel. In its defense, I was pleasantly surprised that even though check in is not until 4 they let us check in at 11:40 am (gave us the keys to room that early so we could drop our bags instead of checking them) which made it so much more convenient for us since we were tied up all day at the casino for my husband's tournament (I was off all day on slots - I broke even and gambled 7-8 hours straight - I was pleased).

The hotel has NO room service and NO mini bar. WHY? Most inconvenient thing ever. The only "food" at the hotel is a bunch of candy bars and cookies on a snack cart in the lobby - all overpriced. Other than that you can get pop out of vending machines on the floors. They need room service - or at least a deli style counter in the lobby.

Bathrooms in standard room are also the tiniest ever. There is hardly room to turn around. Bed and TV (large flat screen) were great though.

All in all - love the casino - but they need more staff for busy nights at cashier or major poker tournaments. Hotel rooms are just ok - they need more than cookies/candy bars in hotel for food.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Galena, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We booked one night nere, as we'd stopped into the casino but had not spend much time there, and heard the new steakhouse was decent.
Check in was smooth, and friendly. I believe we paid $110 for a Thurs night.
Room not impressive, stains on carpet, bed, loveseat. Yuck. Bathrm didn't seem clean either.
Went to casino, machines really, really tight. Back to room for a couple hrs before dinner. Again, looked around and it just seemed worn and dirty.
Steakhouse, Final Cut was not impressive. We had semi- dressed up for dinner and there were people in cargo shirts and t-shirts dining, not crowded at all. Neither of us cared for our steak, mine was all fatty, hubby's had so much "special seasonings" on it he could not eat it.
Back to casino...machines still really tight. Seems like they are short of help in there, glasses with cig butts beside machines, chairs not pushed in, buttons on machines sticky as if someone spilled something.
Back to room at 11 pm, and decided to head for home. (2.5 hr drive) We didn't even want to stay there. I just kept thinking I did notwant to wake up in that room, was not interested in the "tight" casino, and from the looks of the pillow cases did not want to sleep there...so packed up, grabbed a large coffee and hit the road.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
dayton, ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

This was my first trip to the Argosy hotel and casino and while the hotel was nice, the casino was severly lacking.

The new parking garage made getting to the casino a breeze, get out of the car, head to the elevator and it will take you to the 5th floor where you could get to the casino after about a mile walk.

Hotel room was nicely laid out with a 42 inch widescreen tv, king sized bed, coffee maker, free wi-fi, and a hair dryer. The only complaint was the toilet sounded like a freight train when it was flushed. (room 101)

The walk to the casino was waay too long as it felt like one was walking a mile or more just to get to the security area, then one had to walk down the stairs to get to the casino.

The casino has 3 floors with each floor being rather small. There were about 4 craps tables, 4 black jack tables, and a couple of roulette tables on the main floor. The NLHE tables are located on the lowest level, however to play it will cost you. Buy ins are over $150, some costing waay more. VP pay tables are some of the worst I have ever seen, the selection of $0.25 slots was very small. Most had 5 paylines which is not a good thing for a low roller on a limited budget.

Drink service was much to be desired as the CW's seemed like they were few and far between. One would be best off going to the bar to get a drink instead of waiting for a CW. 2 things that really irked me was the CW said "drinks" instead of cocktails and the fact that drinks cost $4.75 for a 12oz beer. To be honest, my experience in casino's are all Vegas ones, so this was a complete shock to my system. One other thing, around 12am I heard "last call". Vegas has no last call, why does this place have one?

Food was expensive, the dinner buffet ran $17.00, the selection was ok but for the money I did not think it was worth it. They are offering Rio prices with out having Rio type food selections. Breakfest buffett ran almost $9.00, however you got a voucher for either a free breakfest or lunch bufett. Selection was ok but it could have been better. The size of the coffee cups was a major issue as they are about 1" to 1 1/2" tall. It made the cup look like it was the size of a 1/2 cup. For a coffee drinker, this was a major turn off.

Overall thoughts, good hotel, a so so casino, and high food prices. Will I go back, most likely not.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Argosy Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!