“Awesome food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 200 Restaurants in Lafayette
“Awesome food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

You want some sushi this is the place to go! Awesome food awesome entertainment! Bring your sense of humor

Griffith, Indiana
“Horrible Cleanliness”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. The restaurant is so dirty that my shoes were sticky even after leaving. The carpet is sticky which I don't know how a place could get that dirty to have sticky carpet. After leaving, everyone in our group was saying that they didn't want to be the one to say "hey, this place is nasty, lets go someplace else" because they were thinking maybe they were over reacting. Luckily, our food was good enough no one was sick afterward but we were all worried we would be. I would NEVER return to this restaurant. If you've ever watched either Restaurant: Impossible or Kitchen Nightmares and seen when they've gone into a kitchen and found bugs, mold, filth, rodents, ect, and thought "I hope I never eat in a place like that" then you do not want to eat at this place!
Also, with regard to service: myself and other person in our party decided to share several sushi rolls and I did the majority of our order. When she offered up the soup/salad I declined because I don't like the soup/salad at any hibachi location and the person I was sharing with wanted the soup/salad. However, the waitress came back and told her she would have to pay for it because she didn't order enough food when she was sharing with me and I more than covered the needed amount. She refused to allow her to "just have my soup/salad" and made her order more food. It was ridiculous! Isn't the customer supposed to always be right?!?

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Jerusalem, Israel
“A hidden gem in an industrial area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It's a lovely place, very unique for the boring area it's located in. I've been waiting about a year for a chance to, and it was well worth it. The food was delicious, the experience is so special as they cook the food right on your table while entertaining the guests just the right amount. It's great for a romantic date, family gathering and special occasions, as well as a great lunch. They rocked it!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
xgtree
“Great price for lunch or "happy hour"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

First, I don't eat sushi, so can't speak for that. I've gone here since 2004 at least and have gone once every month or 2. Monkey boy is very entertaining and cooks very good food-never had and issue with the filet, chicken, or shrimp. I've had Japanese steakhouse experiences in several places throughout the US including chain restaurants and this is the best tasting food. Dinner can cost a lot, but lunch is ridiculously cheap by comparison for the exact same amount of food--$9 for filet for example. Interior is dated but that has no bearing on how the food tastes (like dt kirbys for example)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Overpriced and awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

While the waitress was attentive and the cook was very friendly (though somewhat cheeky and a little too nosey about the personal details of my life and marriage), the food was disappointing, especially for the whopping price of the bill.

I ordered chicken and scallops, but the scallops smelled so rotten that I couldn't bring myself to try them. I told the waitress that the scallops smelled funny and she gave me a discount, which I appreciated. But I still think the food WAY overpriced, considering that the amount of meat/protein was tiny, and the rice was nothing but old rice pan-fried with hard carrots, one egg (for two servings) and a liberal splash of soy sauce.

The food was salty overall and not very expertly made, especially the sushi rolls, which were warm and not rolled tightly enough, and they weren't even made with sticky short-grain rice as they should be.

The dated 1970s decor of the restaurant was atrocious to the point that we thought that it made the place look creepy. The restaurant also smelled gross right when you walk in, like rancid frying oil and expired raw food.

The price for 2 adults and one child was 85 bucks! Even if the bill came out to half of that, the food was still inexcusably mediocre. Buyer beware.

It's also worth nothing that the food on the menu is NOT Japanese food and the cooks and staff are not Japanese. Vegetables and meats sauteed with soy sauce doth not Japanese food make.

• Visited September 2012