“unmet expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Lafayette
Hyattsville, Maryland
“unmet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for a family wedding. Many unmet expectations: no in-room microwave or refrigerator, no breakfast, (If you wanted to eat, there was a restaurant.)so no great value. Had to eat out for 4 days.
The air in the lobby was perfumed by on of those plug-in air "freshners", making for a truly noxious enviroment. Were they trying to hide another odor? The bed pillows were really half a pillow and provoked neck discomfort, so bring your own, The beds were comfortable though.
The hall way carpets could have used a little edge cleaning.
The evening desk staff were very pleasant & helpful. I made one request of the day staff, and that was for use of a microwave to re-heat my beverage on that very cold, snowy day. They said there was one in the restaurant, but it was used for transfer only, and I couldn't use it. Surely there must have been a microwave in the employee lunchroom! That refusal really colored my opinion. I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear junezelno,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
office
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The location is great! Walking distance to great downtown restaurants, bars and local shops. The hotel was not very well insulated and could hear the people coming back from bars at 2-3 a.m. and leaving for breakfast at 7:00 a.m. Room was ok, but bed was extremely uncomfortable-felt like I was sleeping on a dorm mattress.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our room was a nice room with city view but the parking was a nightmare. I drove around and around the hotel and ended up having to park in a city parking ramp. It was very inconvenient.
I appreciated the four cup coffe maker in room instead of those one-cup brewers other hotels are using now.

Tried to use the pool, but my key wouldn't open the door. I didn't want to go all the down to desk, so I skipped the pool. Key worked for fitness center.

Nobody was unfriendly and nobody was over friendly.

Next time I'll stay a little ways out at a hotel with surplus parking.

• Stayed October 2012
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Clean, attentive staff didn't dine at the restaurant but was well directed by the Concierge to a local eatery and watering hole. Some times when you travel and stay at these chains in smaller locations they can tend to be tired and out dated, not the HI Lafayette, I would recommend this establishment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The downtown location makes this property convenient to Purdue and downtown businesses. The public areas are well maintained. The restaurant for dinner suffers from "hotel pricing" for unremarkable Italian fare, but edible after a long day of travel. The restaurant does excel at breakfast, serving lots of fresh fruit and eggs made to order. The rooms are completely average. The windows don't open and there's a sinus-gagging smell of Fabreze everywhere. AC is wall convector-style ala 1980. Be prepared to move furniture to get to plugs -- wall plugs are located behind desks and tables. On the plus side, well-equipped business center off the lobby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed at this particular holiday inn several time when I come down for the Feast of the Hunters Moon. I have stayed at other hotels in the area as well when I come down depending on availability. The front desk staff were very helpful and willing to accommodate my questions and concerns. One thing is there is no avenue for patrons to leave a comment for the management at the particular site. The other thing is no where do they tell you that the parking lot is too small for the number of rooms at the hotel. I was instructed to park on the side street, which was not very well lit, and once I could not find a spot on the side streets I had to park across the street in the city parking structure. It was free that day but having to walk across the street to get back to the hotel and haul all my luggage across to my car was not a pleasant experience. I have stayed at several other hotels, ie in Pittsburg, that have to deal with more restricted space for parking than they do here in Lafayette and I had a lot better experience there, and for about the same price. As for the overall building it is very nice, well kept, and great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Be prepared if you go on a busy weekend there may not be enough parking and you may need to park on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear ERNurse02,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. It is nice to read that you are a regular visitor to the hotel. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the parking situation at our hotel and any inconvenience you experienced. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jakarta Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here recently to accompany my son who was starting his study at Purdue. My friends recommended that I stayed at the Holiday Inn of West Lafayette as this was the best there is. I did look around comments in tripadvisor.com and realized that there was not much choice for accommodation in West Lafayette. Being used to 5-star quality hotels in Asia I was wondering what this hotel would be like. I was glad to experience that this hotel turned out decent. I spent 6 nights there.

This hotel is not far from Purdue but I did drive to campus, which is about 5 minutes away (parking is readily available at the Grant parking lot). A brisk walk would take about 20 minutes.

Front desk service was very good and the staff were polite and nice.

The bed and pillows were comfortable. Shower pressure was very good but the floor of the shower could get slippery. It could get dangerous so be careful. I noticed the housekeeping would only take about 5 minutes to clean the room (I was present in the room). No vacuuming of the carpet in the room, no scrubbing of the shower floor, no dusting of the furniture in the room.

The a/c system was a bit awkward. It was difficult to keep the temperature at a comfortable level, especially because the air blows towards the bed (could not move the lever to redirect where the air was blowing). I ended up having to turn the a/c on or off instead of adjusting the temperature.

The parking at the hotel was plentiful and easy. The pool was small, not good enough for a lap pool but good enough for just immersing around. The gym was small and very basic. There is no safe in the room.

The in-house Italian restaurant was so-so. There are not many classy restaurants in West Lafayette so I guess this was it. Not bad, just not that great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre? Share your experiences!