“Brown Bathtub Water” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Lafayette
Dayton, OH
“Brown Bathtub Water”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed for one night in August. The hotel seems new, so everything was still clean and in good shape. However, the air conditioner rattled loudly everytime it turned on, so it woke my wife and I about every 20-30 minutes all night long. In the morning, my wife took a shower with no problems, but when I turned on the shower facuet, the water came out brown. Thinking there might be dirt in the pipes, I let the water run for about 15 minutes hoping to clean out the dirt, but the water continued to flow out brown. I was unable to take a shower, I couldn't even rinse the dirty water out of the tub because there was so much dirt residue coming from the facuet. At checkout, I complained to the representative at the front desk who said she would pass along my concerns to the manager. At least two other guest were also complaining about the same problem. After a few weeks, I submitted an online complaint through the Priority Club web site since I hadn't heard anything yet. Finally, I did receive an email from the manager apologizing for the problem and explaining that the water softener had run out of salt. Sorry, but I don't believe that excuse. Hard water is not brown and does not contain dirt particles. Nonetheless, I didn't receive a discount or even an offer of Priority Club points for the inconvenience. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Christin G, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear DaytonTravelers,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the experience you encountered while at our property. It is our goal to provide every guest with the best stay possible and I am sorry that you did not leave here feeling as though you had experienced that with us.

I apologize that the noise from the air conditioner made sleeping in your room difficult. I understand how difficult it can be to sleep when away from home and extra noises certainly do not help in the matter. As for the water, we have implemented a new check to ensure that our softener does not run out of salt again.

I am certainly sorry to hear of the impact that these issues had on the quality of your stay with us and hope that you will be able to give us another chance the next time you are in Lafayette.

Christin G.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for two nights. Seems like the rooms are set up for extended stay. There is a full size refrigerator, microwave, hot plates and all necessary pot & pans in the room. Only drawback is that the housekeeping only visits once a week so you have to make up your own bed and hang the towels to dry. They do offer additional towels if needed.

There is also a AC in the room that you can control. This is a big plus for me as I like my room cooler than normal.

Getting into the hotel can be a little tricky. The nearby roads are quite new and may now show up on older GPS units.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Christin G, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for noticing that we are geared to accommodate extended stay guests. Most all of our guests, regardless of whether they are extended stay or not, appreciate the amenities that we offer in each of our rooms such as the kitchens. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again next time you are in the Lafayette area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in a room on the third floor after having moved from our original assigned room on the first floor (toilet was not working properly). It was quiet and comfortable; however, minor issues such as a broken kitchen chair, dirty glass on the bathroom counter, and stained carpet in the hallway prevent us from giving this hotel a higher rating. A fine place for a quick stopover; staff was friendly and responsive. Highway noise is audible if you are in a room on the west side.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from I-65.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
candlewoodlafgm, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you letting us know how we are doing. I am sorry to hear of the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay with us. We have resolved these issuses and hope that you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in the Lafayette area. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff. We take pride in our customer service and I am happy to hear that you felt we were friendly and responsive to your needs. We hope to see you again soon!
Gallipolis, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was working in the area for 4 months. Recieved a reasonable rate, friendly service, clean room as I checked in. Throughout my stay that service was maintained to the highest quality with an addition of "feel at home" personalities displayed by the staff. It was not just a MOTEL.

Thanks to the wonderful staff from management, desk clerks, housekeeping and maintence.

I would recommend this place for an over night stay or a long term stay to every one.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad to hear that we were able to make your stay feel more like home. Our entire staff understands the importance of making your time away from home as enjoyable as possible and I am glad that you were able to experience that during your stay with us. Thank you for recomending us to others and we look forward to you staying with us again should you return to the Lafayette area in the future.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed two nights. Seemed more like an apartment building than a hotel. Very clean and quiet.
Staff courteous and professional. Dog friendly for an extra fee. Had dog walking area at the hotel and there are areas around the hotel to walk the dog. Had a studio suite with two queen beds. Comfortable beds, nice kitchenette, full size refrigerator, small coffee pot. Many restaurants and stores not far from the hotel. Free coffee but no free breakfast but still a good deal!

Room Tip: East side rooms are farther from the interstate traffic.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Our reservation was made by another family member on a travel website and was non-refundable after purchase. The reservation room size was made in error for a room with 1 bed instead of room with 2 beds for 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Even after my sister had spelled our name (very common, generic name) the clerk managed to screw it up and could not find our reservation for 20 minutes. When she finally found it under another name after insisting we had reservations, the clerk had a pre-made key card already swiped for our room and had us checked into the system since we were pre-paid. I asked if we could switch to a bigger room only to be told they were sold for the weekend. However, due to the lack of cars in the parking lot (7 cars at 8:00 pm) I called the hotel from my cell phone 10 minutes later only to be told they had plenty of rooms availabe and at a lower rate than I paid. Saturday morning when I got up at 6 am there were a total of 15 cars in the parking lot. They were NOT sold out!
I think to change our room would have been an inconvenience to the clerk.
When I inquired about blankets for my kids to sleep on the floor the clerk said she didn't know if they had enough and would have to go track some down. I ended up going to Meijer next door and buying blankets.

The room was clean overall, however we were told we would not have housekeeping as they only clean a room once a week for guests. That really was not that big of a deal however I did take issue when the clerk said if I want clean towels I will have to bring the dirty ones down to her and then they will replace them with clean ones. (Remember, there were 5 of us.) Housekeeping did try to come to our room once Saturday morning. Unfortunately, she didn't knock or announce herself, just used her key card to open the door and walk in on all of us while we were getting ready for the wedding we were in town for.

We ended up with a room facing the interstate. The hotel is not well insulated for sound and we were very close to the highway and could hear every car/truck/semi go by all night long and I65 is a busy interstate for semi traffic. We could also hear the guest in the room next to us snoring all night long. So a good night's sleep was not had by my children who slept on the floor or my husband and I due to all the noise.

Since the hotel does not serve any kind of breakfast food, we picked up a box of cereal and milk while we were at Meijer buying blankets. The first bowl I took out was not clean so after I rewashed the 2 bowls and 2 spoons, the 5 of us took turns eating breakfast.

I called and checked again on Saturday about a double room and were told they had plenty available but not according to the front desk. Sunday morning the car count was 23...once again NOT sold out for the size of the hotel.

At one point I had forgotten my key card and asked for another one. A different unfriendly clerk told me the only way she could give me another card is by making a new card and then it would cancel all my previous (2) cards. I said fine and she made another card. However, while she was doing this another clerk questioned her and asked "why don't you just make a dupicate?" Her response was, "This method is easier for me so I don't have to look everything up."

I believe the staff at the hotel are not concerned with accomodating and helping the customer, their main objective is what is easiest and less inconvenient for them. This attitude displayed itself many times during our 2 night stay. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!!!

It is my opinion that the front staff are not overly helpful and are dishonest.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel for a good room and if you stay here, stay at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Very clean rooms, like having the kitchenette. The front dest is friendly, and they have DVD's to rent for free while you are staying there. No breakfast, and internet signal is poor, recomment staying closer to the center of hotel for best signal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Lafayette? Share your experiences!