“Good night's sleep but a few flaws” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Lafayette
“Good night's sleep but a few flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in a room on the third floor after having moved from our original assigned room on the first floor (toilet was not working properly). It was quiet and comfortable; however, minor issues such as a broken kitchen chair, dirty glass on the bathroom counter, and stained carpet in the hallway prevent us from giving this hotel a higher rating. A fine place for a quick stopover; staff was friendly and responsive. Highway noise is audible if you are in a room on the west side.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from I-65.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
candlewoodlafgm, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you letting us know how we are doing. I am sorry to hear of the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay with us. We have resolved these issuses and hope that you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in the Lafayette area. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff. We take pride in our customer service and I am happy to hear that you felt we were friendly and responsive to your needs. We hope to see you again soon!

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Gallipolis, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was working in the area for 4 months. Recieved a reasonable rate, friendly service, clean room as I checked in. Throughout my stay that service was maintained to the highest quality with an addition of "feel at home" personalities displayed by the staff. It was not just a MOTEL.

Thanks to the wonderful staff from management, desk clerks, housekeeping and maintence.

I would recommend this place for an over night stay or a long term stay to every one.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad to hear that we were able to make your stay feel more like home. Our entire staff understands the importance of making your time away from home as enjoyable as possible and I am glad that you were able to experience that during your stay with us. Thank you for recomending us to others and we look forward to you staying with us again should you return to the Lafayette area in the future.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed two nights. Seemed more like an apartment building than a hotel. Very clean and quiet.
Staff courteous and professional. Dog friendly for an extra fee. Had dog walking area at the hotel and there are areas around the hotel to walk the dog. Had a studio suite with two queen beds. Comfortable beds, nice kitchenette, full size refrigerator, small coffee pot. Many restaurants and stores not far from the hotel. Free coffee but no free breakfast but still a good deal!

Room Tip: East side rooms are farther from the interstate traffic.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Our reservation was made by another family member on a travel website and was non-refundable after purchase. The reservation room size was made in error for a room with 1 bed instead of room with 2 beds for 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Even after my sister had spelled our name (very common, generic name) the clerk managed to screw it up and could not find our reservation for 20 minutes. When she finally found it under another name after insisting we had reservations, the clerk had a pre-made key card already swiped for our room and had us checked into the system since we were pre-paid. I asked if we could switch to a bigger room only to be told they were sold for the weekend. However, due to the lack of cars in the parking lot (7 cars at 8:00 pm) I called the hotel from my cell phone 10 minutes later only to be told they had plenty of rooms availabe and at a lower rate than I paid. Saturday morning when I got up at 6 am there were a total of 15 cars in the parking lot. They were NOT sold out!
I think to change our room would have been an inconvenience to the clerk.
When I inquired about blankets for my kids to sleep on the floor the clerk said she didn't know if they had enough and would have to go track some down. I ended up going to Meijer next door and buying blankets.

The room was clean overall, however we were told we would not have housekeeping as they only clean a room once a week for guests. That really was not that big of a deal however I did take issue when the clerk said if I want clean towels I will have to bring the dirty ones down to her and then they will replace them with clean ones. (Remember, there were 5 of us.) Housekeeping did try to come to our room once Saturday morning. Unfortunately, she didn't knock or announce herself, just used her key card to open the door and walk in on all of us while we were getting ready for the wedding we were in town for.

We ended up with a room facing the interstate. The hotel is not well insulated for sound and we were very close to the highway and could hear every car/truck/semi go by all night long and I65 is a busy interstate for semi traffic. We could also hear the guest in the room next to us snoring all night long. So a good night's sleep was not had by my children who slept on the floor or my husband and I due to all the noise.

Since the hotel does not serve any kind of breakfast food, we picked up a box of cereal and milk while we were at Meijer buying blankets. The first bowl I took out was not clean so after I rewashed the 2 bowls and 2 spoons, the 5 of us took turns eating breakfast.

I called and checked again on Saturday about a double room and were told they had plenty available but not according to the front desk. Sunday morning the car count was 23...once again NOT sold out for the size of the hotel.

At one point I had forgotten my key card and asked for another one. A different unfriendly clerk told me the only way she could give me another card is by making a new card and then it would cancel all my previous (2) cards. I said fine and she made another card. However, while she was doing this another clerk questioned her and asked "why don't you just make a dupicate?" Her response was, "This method is easier for me so I don't have to look everything up."

I believe the staff at the hotel are not concerned with accomodating and helping the customer, their main objective is what is easiest and less inconvenient for them. This attitude displayed itself many times during our 2 night stay. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!!!

It is my opinion that the front staff are not overly helpful and are dishonest.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel for a good room and if you stay here, stay at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Very clean rooms, like having the kitchenette. The front dest is friendly, and they have DVD's to rent for free while you are staying there. No breakfast, and internet signal is poor, recomment staying closer to the center of hotel for best signal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

During our move from Lafayette, Indiana to Lubbock, Texas my wife and I needed a place to stay our last night in town after moving out of our apartment. I suggested we stay at the Candlewood because I had heard good things about it from a couple of people who stayed there on business and it is one of the newer places in town.

I was unaware it was a hotel designed for extended stays, so I was surprised how the room included a fridge, a kitchenette a desk area and a sleeping area along with a recliner. Overall the room looked really nice and was generally clean. The bathroom was very nice as well.

The one thing that kind of "icked" me out was the bedding...the bed spreads seemed to be stained. Like someone had spilled soda on them or something. Everyone's seen those stories about bodily fluids on hotel surfaces...I personally just try to push it out of my mind during hotel stays. But when you see stains on the bed spreads...it can be hard to do that. That said, the sheets looked clean. There were also some stains on the chairs in the room.

It was OK for one night, and like I said, the room was generally clean. Yet most places I've stayed wouldn't put a bed spread like that on the bed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

the rooms were very nice, with kitchenettes, nice size desks, some rooms w/a seperate bedroom. My only complaints are that I had to wait to check in while the person was outside smoking and the pool is like ice!!! It is upsetting when the kids are looking forward to a night of swimming but can't enjoy it because it is toooo cold.

Room Tip: Get a back room, you can hear all the traffic from the highway in the front ones.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Lafayette? Share your experiences!