“Memorable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Ambalavayal
bangalore
“Memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We chose this place to welcome the new year. I was a little disappointed when I reached the resort after travelling almost 7KM on bad roads!!. Unlike the impression that the website gicves, this resort is not as elaborate. But when we went up to the cottage and saw the view...it was amazing!!. We were initially accomodated in the smaller cottage (which was really small- just sufficient for a double cot), but were later shifted to a more spacious cottage (they have 2 small cottages, a larger one and a dormitory). The food was simple and yum. Hubby dear also got to go fishing in the carocle and Shinto (the cook) baked us hi catch!! Also since we were the only ones there, we had the whole place to ourselves!!

Positives-
1. Breathtaking view
2. Exemplory service - "your wish is our command" (literally). Hubby wanted appam for breakfast and though it was not on the day's menu, Shinto himself went out in the fog to get it from a near by place.
3. The staff is very courteous. Though Jubin was pre-occupied he ensured our stay was comfortable. Shinto accompanied us to show us the place.
4. Yummy food - no restaurant but Shinto does a really good job
5. The 2nd room given to us was pretty spacious and comfortable (ask for this cottage if you go there)
6. Fishing and campfire

Negatives -
1. No indoor games/activites
2. If you have small kids you need to keep a watch. The wooden railings outside are wide spaced and they can easily slip out.
3. The approach road from Ambalavayal is very bad. We preferred to stay in because of this. Also unlike what the website says, Bangalore is almost 280 from the resort not 250.
4. The 2 cottages are too small
5. Since the cottage walls are of sheet, the walls have "ears". May not be comfortable if there are other unknown familes in the adjoining cottages.
6. No housekeeping. We had gone out the first night for a new year party and on our return the next afternoon, the cottage had not been cleaned (the garbage too wa intact)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
jubinroy, General Manager at Kallat Heritage, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant Plate and that our employees provided you with excellent service. We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.
Since only the 2 cottage which is very close, we do give to only one family, and by chance if some other family check in we prefer some other rooms, as you have witnessed we give you the single cottage
Moreover you were taken in to our hotel for New Year party and on your return we give you a different single cottage, so that the housekeeping people cleaned the room after your shifting to single cottage
We have every desire to address your needs; In addition, we are obliged to further evaluate how we can put off any similar problem occurring again in the future.
We look forward to seeing you again...

Quality Assurance
kallat heritage

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

The place is beautiful and serene. It overlooks a lake. However, the place is extremely small so unlike other properties in Wayanad this is not self sufficient. You cant even enter the lake as it is very slippery. The grouse we had was with Jubin his staff. We undertook our trip between 5-8 th of May. I and my elderly mother was travelling with our pet a 3 year old labrador. We were extremely responsible guests and even carried sheets because our dog sleeps on our bed. I had clearly asked Jubin if the cottages were at the ground level because of my mother's athritis. He assured it was and to our horror realised it was on the 1st floor!!. He ofcouse accomoodated us in a cottage on the groundfloor. Jubin never bothered to give me directions or a map like most resorts do. We had to ask for directions and ultimately got a local to take us and ofcourse for a charge. I called Jubin even when we left Bangalore. He apparently assumed that we would reach late and didnt get the food ready when clearly informed that we reach there for lunch. We were asked to adjust with the bad food that was served and assured we would be served good dinner. The dinner apparently was made at 8 pm however there was noone to serve and so was served at 9.30 pm really cold... The next morning appams were like rubber and lunch too was pathetic. They didnt want to serve dessert or non-veg but was conveniently charging us Rs175.00 per head per meal and Rs.200 per meal for our pet's 2 chappatis and chicken .. In all this confusion Jubin decided to go on a retreat to trivandrum and told us a lady called Merlyn would assist us, who we never heard from!!. I had so much of this nonsense that I lost it and thats when things changed. The cook who could not cook for nuts decided to churn up amazign dishes suddenly!!!. Ofcourse Jubin sent me a message which read" Ur name stands for love when i hear it i pray may the peace of holy spirit come and dwell in u"!!!. We were sent with a guide - Raju who didnt know a thing of Wayanad and had grown up in Coorg.. Poor man was good at his service but just didnt know the place... The cottages too are very basic for what they charge. I have been to Wayanad quite a few times and stayed at the other places.
When I did get back Jubin repeatedly called me and asked me not to post a bad review on tripadvisor. It would affect his targets... This man has some audacity...The reason we went over the week was so we could have a peaceful holiday with our dog. Thanks to Jubin and his staff our holiday was ruined..

• Stayed May 2010
jubinroy, Manager at Kallat Heritage, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Dear Neha,

Thank you for taking ample time to mark your opinion about why our service did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue at the best possible manner. In addition, we are obliged to further evaluate how we can put off any similar problem occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you. We agree that the usual high standards of our services were not met in this instance due to miscommunication mainly. Not to justify but to respond to few of your distresses let me pen down the following;

To serve you with the highest contemporary facility, you were initially offered with our Kalpetta property which is one of the biggest hotels in north Kerala with 28 suites over 60 air conditioned rooms with all most modern contemporary set up in it but you were interested in our resort. We agree that you were given the opening to decide on the rooms of your choice as these were available; in order to save the cost I suggested the ground floor even though the initial booking enquiry of two rooms were made in the first floor. However I really appreciate your concerns about you mum’s inconvenience.

After the unfortunate incident in Thekkadi we stopped our coracle for the safety reasons of our customers and this was communicated to you prior to your coming. We are limited to hold accountability for the lake when it’s outside of our property. A talk was completed outlining the direction prior to your coming and we also spoke over the phone many times directing you. We also requested the said man who directed you to the place. It is disappointing if you have paid him without communicating with us, as he was also paid by our staff. I also would like to state that Mr Raju lives 3 KM away from the resort and he is a native of this place. I hope that the information you had was about him working in Koorg for three years.

I would like to extend my apologies for the food being not very hot but would like also to mention that this also occurred due to you being pre occupied with your lovely dog when this was served. There were at least five staff present in the resort ready to serve you at this time. Upon you informing us that you weren’t happy with the food you were given a discount of Rs 1500 from your bill as the management didn’t want its esteemed customer to pay for the food that wasn’t enjoyed. Even though it was mentioned that no non Veg food was served, it was also mentioned by you that chicken was served and this matter doesn’t need any explanation, I suppose. In light of your dissatisfaction let me please bring your consideration to the concerns that we had such as having to deal with the neighbor’s grumble about your dog, cleaning the floor/carpet/cushions when sludge was brought in by your dog constantly and the issue caused by your driver etc. And these were resolved without bringing your notice to make ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

In spite of me attending retreat, I had my phone turned on all the time and you were given the contact details of me and our BDO Merlin whom you didn’t contact for any reason. The text message sent was in light of the spiritual discussion that I had with your mum and uncle and please accept my apologies should this hurt your feelings. I value your feedback and we don’t influence any of our customer with regard to their freedom of expression but always are keen of resolving any issue before they leave to ensure that we have offered them with the highest quality of service. And as a manager of Kallat, I don’t have any target to meet. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer.

I request you to kindly give us an opportunity to resolve the concerns and to prove our best service to you. And for this we offer your family three days stay in either Kallat Heritage or Kallat Hotel absolutely free of cost. We would value our service higher than that of the economical benefits as it’s the happy customers who decide the growth and it’s the best service that make happy customers.

Again, I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Jubin
Ernakulam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

A good place comes to mind first if anyone ask to me that is Kallat Heritage.Its so natural and beautiful...we visited sunset valley near this hotel and that is eye catchy for everyone who loves nature...The traditional food in this hotel make us memorable now also...Don't miss this place if you go to Wayanad.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

We experienced Kallat Heritage on a 2N/3D holiday last weekend, and were thoroughly over-joyed with the experience. The loation works wonders - a secluded lake-front property, away from all the bustling crowds, and a sunset view which you can take in at your own privacy from the balcony of your heritage cottage overlooking the lake...ah, no wonder they call this place "God's own country"! Add to it the great service from Jubin and his team, and you can't ask for more. This is not your typical corporate hospitality, but hospitality of a richer vein; one which comes from a genuine willingness to serve the guest in the true "Athithi devo bhava" traditions of India...simply a wonderful experience

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Had a wonderful weekend at Wayanad. I chanced upon this resort online. The approach road was quite trying, driving down form Chennai, we were eager to reach the resort. However, once we reached the resort, we appreciated the quite tranquility and the secluded location of the resort. Jubin and Co. were like Charlie and his angels...while we only spoke to Jubin on the phone and never met him, he was always extremely prompt in ensuring everything gets organised well. He also organised our Ayurvedic massage at a very good centre...
the beautiful view of the river from the room and the eco friendly set up of the resort makes for a very relaxing time.
the food is custom made...so that did leave us a bit confused on what to order...however for the most part the food was very good. We tried several local specialities.
I hope to return again and explore more of Wayanad.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cochin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

As newly weds we were looking for a place which would ensure privacy, but not too far away from the nearest town. Halal food was also another concern. After hunting for a lotta resorts, we came down to 2 resorts. Hubby was almost tired of driving non stop for 2 hours from Calicut on the montainais roads. When Jubin, The resort manager was leading the road downhill from kattapana, Hubby almost decided to return back. But I persisted and it was definitly worth while.

to start with the view from our cottage was simply awsome... Coffee plantations and the mist rising from the lake ahead. The guide who took us through the forest and the trip guide, Yasir, were wonderful company. The sunsets and the panoramic view oft the dam was a surreal experience. When it was the greenery which appealed to me, for my husband it was a trip down his childhood.

In al the one week we spend there was one of the best of the best in our lives.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I've been to Wayanad along with my friends and we stayed in Kallat resort. The service provided by them is too good and the Sunset valley view near the Heritage was amazing.

The stay over there was good and the location of this place is eye catchy. over all we had a very nice stay over there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Kallat Heritage? Share your experiences!